Nugget Shooter Forums

Upgrade for G.B.?

Steel Pan

There are mods I have seen for the GB Pro and the GB2. If you like a 2 you will probably stick with it. Those that switch to a Pro say they can hunt in many more places than you can with a 2 and it will remain stable.

The mod I have seen on the Pro cost $250 but a couple of my friends who have it say it is worth it.

Mitchel

There are mods I have seen for the GB Pro and the GB2. If you like a 2 you will probably stick with it. Those that switch to a Pro say they can hunt in many more places than you can with a 2 and it will remain stable.

The mod I have seen on the Pro cost $250 but a couple of my friends who have it say it is worth it.

Mitchel

Do you know who your friends had do the Pro mods. Thanks

I have the gold bug pro (with the round coil) I also went and got the 5x10 DD coil for it also. The pro is very sensitive to very small targets..

I don't understand what you want to upgrade? Are you asking if an original gold bug can be upgraded to a gold bug II ?

Yes, I would like to upgrade my GB ,It is version #4, to the GB2 sensitivity.

Steely,

The mods I have seen make the units like a GB2 or the GB Pro better at what they are. They are not an upgrade to something else. It is like putting a turbo on the same engine if that is 'possible' because the depth and sensitivity of the standard model is changed.

I don't know the name of the modifier but it is something similar to the modifications that have been made to the Minelabs in the past. You send off your unit, they do some changes to the motherboard and you get it back with a modifier warranty as it probably voids the OEM warranty.

Mitchel

Go here . If you want to Upgrade, the only things I've found was the Coil or a few tweaks. To do the Tweaks you loose the Warranty. That is a Fine machine and just GB the best you can.

http://www.geotech1.com/forums/search.php?searchid=79061

Why don't you just get a GB2? That seems simple enough.

So, you happen to have an extra $500+ layin' around you can GIVE me? :4chsmu1::rolleyes:

Mitchel,

You think Fisher would do the conversion, or is this something done by private

sources? :89:

A knew a guy who built a "heater" for my CB, but that was yeeeaaarrsss ago. :cry2:

Lucky Joe knows a fellow who has done mods to my GB2 (as well as to my GB Pro and Tesoro Lobo Super Traq). I am very pleased with the results. Send him a PM for details. On the GB2 several extra switches were installed. Very cool performance.

With the mods I can switch from factory settings to enhanced settings. I'm not sure it literally goes deeper, but it seems I can "hear" things after I've gone over an area in the factory settings, that I didn't hear before. Also, switching to "Iron Discriminate" is extremely easy and can be done with the same hand that is swinging the detector. One of the mods is a push-button that eliminates the task of flipping the iron discriminate switch (this normally requires two hands, plus it requires me to take my eyes off the ground to look at the control box to insure I'm flipping the correct switch). See the attachment. The 46 small nuggets were recovered with the recently modded GB2 (the larger one was recovered with a GPX5000 in the same vicinity).

post-1713-0-27518400-1383800086_thumb.jp

Can you spell out the "enhanced" settings, like is it an adjustable flip of a switch reguarding frequency settings , as in the ML Eureka 3 settings ??
It seems this type of alteration would give best control over what type of dept and sensitivity could be had at a given time.
Or possibly "filters" added to give better audio response.??

When I put my new control switches to enhanced performance this is what happens: The detector needs to be re-ground balanced (immediately and drastically). There is a much sharper delineation between being "in ground balance" and not being ground balanced. Thus, I constantly have to keep adjusting for even minute changes in ground balance. However, once the sweet spot is dialed in, there are some whispers of signals that could not be heard before in factory setting. But this process gets noisy if out of ground balance, this is why I hunt first in factory settings, then go over the same real estate in the enhanced mode. Lucky Joe seems to have mastered the finicky ground balance and always hunts in enhanced. But I'm still on a learning curve. I have no knowledge as to the technical details of the electrical circuitry. I was told, however, that one of the capacitors in my unit was found to be underperforming something like 25% below ideal. It was replaced and was corrected to be within 1% of optimal. I'm sure this correction made my unit a much better detector than it was before. I bought it new about a year earlier -- meaning it was recently manufactured in El Paso. I've noticed other brand new GB2 detectors exhibit performance differences. If you get a good one, hang on to it! If you are dissatisfied, maybe consider the upgrade.

So have you heard of any coil options for the GB2? I have the worst time with coils going bad. I have been through several in the past few years and would really love a tough coil (like a Whites) on the GB2.

Has anyone else noticed the GB2 coils failing?

I am just a few minutes drive from El Paso. I wonder if I showed up with a box of coils that won't ground balance if they would talk about it?

Hey Homefire, do you still have the coil I sent you? I have wasted three since then. That has only been a couple of years or so.

Edited by Bedrock Bob

Bob, if they will not GB it may be the Ground wire at the Connector end has issues. I would for sure visit El Paso and show them the issues and hell they may make good with corrections or a New Coil.

Bob: As to your question regarding GB2 coils failing, my experience is both yes and no. What I mean by this needs to be weighed from the perspective of how many hours I put on mine. I suspect that my units log a lot more mileage than most and therefore it could be heavy use that has caused the coils occasionally to go bad. Anyway, over the years I've been relatively pleased with how long the GB2 coils have lasted, but there have been failures. The most dramatic failure was my fault. I rolled my boot atop a tennis ball of a stone while on a slope. My face was heading for a french kiss with a nasty looking crack. The GB2 instinctively transformed into a crutch. It saved my mug from serious alteration but sacrificed its own life in the process. In other words, the coil (which already was rather old and probably more brittle than a new one) fractured somewhere internally from the sudden weight placed upon it. The most common scenario is when I purchase a used unit (I've purchased three used GB2s over the years and two new ones). In two instances the coils turned bad after a very short time (but the prices I paid were reasonably low enough still to be a good deal even after replacing the coils -- both 6.5"). So I figure it might have been something that happened before I got them that might explain the failures. When compared to other brands I only have one exemplar. I bought a used Tesoro Lobo Super Traq. I wanted to see how it compared with my GB2s. The darned thing just kept falsing and falsing in a most erratic way. So I just gave up on it until recently when I sent in my GB2 and GB Pro for mods. I wanted the Tesoro modded in hopes that the falsing issue could be corrected. It turns out the coil wire itself was found to be going bad about a foot down from where it connects to the control box. So I purchased a 5.75 round replacement coil on the advice of the fellow who performs the mods (it replaced the standard 10" elliptical that came with the unit). I have yet to try it out because I just last week received the 5.75" new coil. I go through a lot of skid plates on my GB2 units, sometimes two in a single season. But this likely is due to my detecting technique where I often scrub the coil over the ground. I do not often use the 10" or 14" elliptical coils except when I've gone up to Rye Patch where the soil is dead quiet. None of them has yet failed on me, only the 6.5" coils.

Hey Micro,

I will have to get a new GB and have the mods done when I get back. Save some gold for me in the meantime if you can!

Paul