Nugget Shooter Forums

Possible Iron Meteorites

Just got these two guys. But small and fairly identical (besides shape). Both appear to have a fresh fusion crust and are heavy for their size (around 5g each, no more than 1"x1"x0.5"). Both are attracted to my neodymium magnet and when I filed off the outside layer, I hit presumably iron at any place on both stones. They also both have what appear to be shock veins. What do you guys think?

post-26917-0-51300600-1383533064_thumb.j

post-26917-0-59466600-1383533093_thumb.j

Edited by connorp

Bumping this thread for ya. If I found those in the wild I'd think the same thing but I'm not a meteorite expert by any means. Hopefully someone answers for you, I'm curious too.

Wow, I'd say a definite maybe ... Pix are hard as a basis for judgment, but those two pix look promising ... Where'd you find'em? Cheers, Unc

I didn't personally find them. A dealer I know picked up a ton of smaller stones from a Moroccan dealer. Just sold them as NWA unclassifieds for cheap. Just struck me as strange than I would find two nearly identical seemingly iron meteorites for only $0.35/g.

Edited by connorp

I can remember when NWA's were selling for $.06 a gram and it wasn't all that long ago.. There was a guy in New Zealand who sold kilos at that price. Sure, they looked like turds or worse but they were still NWA's. By the way, I find it hard to believe both those pieces weigh only around five grams each. That just seems light to me given the size.

Here's a pic compared to a nickel. The oddly shaped one is about 6.6g and the smaller more circular one is about 4.1g. Also, I broke a tiny piece of one and it broke off without too much force, which wouldn't seem right if it was all iron. The outside of both seemed to be mostly iron, but the inside had rock. Would it be strange for a meteorite to have more iron outside than inside?

post-26917-0-05811100-1383695832_thumb.j

The outside of both seemed to be mostly iron, but the inside had rock. Would it be strange for a meteorite to have more iron outside than inside?

Yes, that would be very strange and probably not a meteorite.

Just got these two guys. But small and fairly identical (besides shape). Both appear to have a fresh fusion crust and are heavy for their size (around 5g each, no more than 1"x1"x0.5"). Both are attracted to my neodymium magnet and when I filed off the outside layer, I hit presumably iron at any place on both stones. They also both have what appear to be shock veins. What do you guys think?

attachicon.gif$T2eC16N,!)8FJg!dgf)fBSYY1qsUc!~~60_3.JPG

attachicon.gif$(KGrHqR,!rQFJI1zj(KvBSYY3KBu5g~~60_3.JPG

Those do not look like iron meteorites, nor do they look like fresh fusion crust. They look like they could be weathered ordinary chondrites (given their purchase history), but the pictures are far from definitive.

Edited by Mikestang

Here's a pic compared to a nickel. The oddly shaped one is about 6.6g and the smaller more circular one is about 4.1g. Also, I broke a tiny piece of one and it broke off without too much force, which wouldn't seem right if it was all iron. The outside of both seemed to be mostly iron, but the inside had rock. Would it be strange for a meteorite to have more iron outside than inside?

Take those same pictures in natural light on a good sunny day in Macro mode.

Jim

A nail file is too soft, do like Fred said and get yourself an aluminum oxide sharpening stone from a hardware store (look under blade sharpeners).

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into one.

The insides of yours look identical to the inside of the 4 I just found yesterday. :D

Good!