Nugget Shooter Forums

Gold found with metal detector....sort of

I had been feverishly working on filling another vial for the last two weeks and I pulled a muscle in my lower back from lifting buckets I think. I am still getting around but am not dry washing for a few days at least. Took the detector out yesterday instead. I traipsed halfway across a small mountain looking for some old tailings or a vein to detect around. I Didn't find anything promising until I was on the way back and saw some real old dry washer tailings. I Searched for a couple hours and just found lead. Usually if I'm walking I'll put the detector up and then put it back on when I'm at a good spot. This time I left it on and was just swinging while I walked back to the car. I was walking back in a creek bed and swinging erratically over some really shallow and rough bedrock. I kept getting beeps in little cracks and deeps and was finding nails dropped off in spots on the bedrock. I beeped and checked a few and came a cross one that had about four nails and some wire in it. I started scraping it and it was loaded with big fat black sand chunks. I dug a little deeper and saw some yellow peeping out at me. Found one nugget and 6 or seven small pickers in there. Got more gold in thirty minutes using a dead stick than I do in 6 hours of dry washing. Yesterday was a win! Found some gold without breaking my back, and found a good stream to work in the future! Going back this morning to check some more spots in that creek.

Edited by Caliche Chris
  • Like 2

Just goes to show that metal detecting is not a complete end in itself. Digging/moving some dirt in conjunction with metal detecting sometimes is the way to go. Best of luck to you as you explore your new spot.

Got to be more where you got that gold ... keep up the good work ... and be easy on the back strain! ... Stretching into opposite directions from the current movements works well ... but do it slow and smoothly ... a back is nothing to aggravate with wild movements when it is strained already ... voice of experience with a lifetime of back aches! Congrats on the gold finds ... and the ingenuity to switch gears when something isn't working! Mike F

Lookn' good to me, hope ya find more, I'm detecting too as my back biting also. Note to self-silly ol'men should NOT spend 5 hours handwinching huge trees and then moving boulders manually outta creeks by thereselves :old: D'oh-John

I tried yesterday and today using the tweezer technique and didn't find a speck. It seems weird how I found those pieces and now every crack is coming up empty.post-26514-0-97855300-1383689848_thumb.jpost-26514-0-98901800-1383689913_thumb.jpost-26514-0-83216100-1383689975_thumb.jpost-26514-0-68706300-1383690026_thumb.j

post-26514-0-88843500-1383690213_thumb.j

The first pic shows the crack where I found most of the gold. It's directly in the center of the pic, I didn't find any gold on the ends of the crack, just the middle section of it. The next three are of the wash going upstream, right above the crack. In the last pic you can see a smear of dried dirt on a piece of rock, it's on the right side of the pic. That's where I pried apart about a wheel barrow full of that rock. I found the smaller of the two nuggets laying on the ground right next to that rock where it was falling apart or someone had tore it apart. The biggest piece was in the same rock. You can tell I've started moving rocks and scraping up some dirt to run. Right where the bedrock starts and the gravel begins (second pic) there was about fifty nails and a bunch of metal junk, and giant course black sand in there as well.

Edited by Caliche Chris