Nugget Shooter Forums

I need some feedback please...

azblackbird

I'm going to go ahead and keep my Rokon. As previously stated my major stumbling blocks were getting it back and forth to my prospecting areas, as it's really too far to ride it, and too rough of terrain to constantly haul it in and out with a 4WD pickup. I could probably carry it in my Rhino, but then that basically leaves me with no room for other supplies, plus it would take two guys to lift it in and out. My only other alternative is to have a buddy help me get it out to my prospecting area, then leave it out there covered, under camouflage, and chained to a tree.

Here's my question... let's say a person was out in the middle of nowhere and were to accidentally find it, do you think they would try to steal it or vandalize it?

X2 what Sawmill said ... I have a great deal of faith in humanity but sometimes that just plain disappears when too much money or value in your case is sitting there ... and nobody is around. Speaks to personal ethics ... some just don't have any and if one of those gets to your machine ... presto change PUFF gone!

Does the sun come up in the East ? They will cut the chain and ride it home!

Thanks for the feedback Sawmill and Mike. I plan on hiding it at least 1/4 mile or so from the nearest trail. Now mind you, these trails are not 4wd pickup accessible due to the narrowness of some of the canyons. A rhino/razor can barely squeeze through. Plus they are one way trails if you can call them that, meaning they are not a part of any loop or main route. You have to take the same trail in and out. These trails are not on any maps either, so the chances of finding my Rokon out in the middle of nowhere are pretty slim, however... I can't discount it that it couldn't happen. I mulled over all the possibilities and chances are the person to discover my hiding spot would be some nature hiker or a person on horseback and not your average qwadder or biker. Besides, most of your average bikers and qwadders are very ill prepared anyways when out riding in the boonies, so the chances of them carrying a bolt cutter with them, are slim to none. Of course I'm the odd one in the bunch and actually do carry a set of bolt cutters with me when out and about. If it was found, then they'd have to figure out a way to get it started and out of there, or at least have the tools and manpower to dismantle it and carry it out piece by piece.

Another alternative I've been exploring is to hide a GPS tracking system on it somewhere and be able to keep an eye on it from my home computer. I would really feel sorry for the guy who stole it, as I don't call 911.

Edited by azblackbird

I'd say, if you do leave it, kiss it good by, some of those guys, could destroy a ball bearing with a rubber hammer. At the very least, get ready for some bullit holes in it, if they can't get it, they will shoot it to hell. Grubstake

Geeezzzuuusss... do you guys think all people are bad? I don't know about you guys, but the further I get away from the rat race, the nicer the people seem to be. When I'm out and about in the boonies, on the off chance I do meet somebody (very rare) on the same trail as me, 99.9% of the time they have been great people who would give you the shirt off their back. They're just like me, and are out enjoying nature and not thinking about stealing, or shooting something up. You guys have to remember, where my prospecting areas are, (and I'm a pretty good tracker) there hasn't been man or beast around for over 50 to 100 years in some of the areas I'm in. That's just how remote my prospecting areas are. You can only get to them either by hiking, dirt biking (you have to be an A rider) or by horseback/mule.

Okay... let me ask this question. I know for a fact many of you guys drive out to a spot and then leave your vehicles unattended... right? I know I do.

Has anybody here ever had their vehicle stolen or vandalized? It would basically be the same caliber of people who would steal my Rokon (providing if they could find it), that would steal or vandalize a vehicle, which would be way more accessible than my Rokon would be. So let's hear the horror stories.

We don't try to hide our vehicles. Big difference. Our vehicles won't fit in the back of a pickup. Another big difference. If someone saw it hidden out there they would either steal it or report it as probably stolen to the sheriff. :00000067:

Lets put it this way, a long time back, I had a 5 inch dredge and 2 guns taken from a trailer, parked on BLM land, Never did recover them. Grubstake

And we were only gone to town for a couple of hours, my father in-law and I.

Edited by grubstake

Lets put it this way, a long time back, I had a 5 inch dredge and 2 guns taken from a trailer, parked on BLM land, Never did recover them. Grubstake

And we were only gone to town for a couple of hours, my father in-law and I.

I'm gonna take a guess and say that your trailer was somewhat easily accessible. The places I'll be hiding my Rokon are not easily accessible. You can only get close with a quad or UTV, then it's either take a hike, ride a dirt bike, or ride a horse. Like I said, the further I get from the rat race, the nicer the people are. I've been an avid dirt biker/offroader for many years, and with the places I ride, It's very rare that I'll see any form of human life all day long. I don't think I have anything to worry about, but just in case I'll probably throw one of these on just so I can keep tabs on it and have peace of mind.

http://www.liveviewgps.com/live+trac+pt-10+.html

Sounds like you've already made up your mind on what you want to do ... If it feels right in your gut, do it ... If not, don't ask anyone's opinions because you don't need them ... I had a dredge hid out in the Klamath mountains for 20 years ... I'd used it lots during spring, summer and fall and then cross my fingers for the winter ... Of course, I did hide it very well ... I had a few coffing hoists and heavy duty chains and pry bars stolen from within 50 feet of the dredge, but nobody ever touched the latter ... Good luck with whatever you decide to do ... Cheers, Unc

If the BLM,or Forest Service finds it and it is off of a designated atv trail, you

won't have to worry about criminals,the law will haul it off. Also it would also

fall under abandoned property ,and trespass law for federal land. You can't

store private property on federal land without permission in writing.

If the BLM,or Forest Service finds it and it is off of a designated atv trail, you

won't have to worry about criminals,the law will haul it off. Also it would also

fall under abandoned property ,and trespass law for federal land. You can't

store private property on federal land without permission in writing.

I've been riding dirt bikes and whatnot in my prospecting areas for almost 20 years now, and I have yet to ever see a BLM or FS Ranger. For some reason, they just don't like driving where I like to ride. Takes them all day just to do a few miles. Now flying... that's a different story. I'll catch them flying over every now and then.

Not all people are bad, but it will only take one bad person for your Rokon to come up missing or bullet ridden, hide it so you have a problem finding it or don't leave it, if you do leave it out there try and get an insure policy that will cover it it if get stolen or vandalized!!!

Just adding my two cents, but seems to me the worst of the lot try to stay in the areas most people don't go. If you do decide to leave it you can put a GPS device on it as you said, or maybe LOJACK which a buddy did when they kept stealing his water heaters from the summer cabin. Maybe you're right it is far enough away from people to be safe but I don't know if I could sleep at night just wondering if it was okay or not.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Paul

ERR on the side a caution or regret at your lesuire. I was dredging for 7 hours and hiked back to camp out in the middle of BF Egypt and my WHOLE CAMP was gone, tent,screen room,coolers,stoves,food,even a full toilet for gods sake. Truck alarm seemed to have kept them outta that one item. I carry my rokon clone on a carrier that slips into my trailor hitch 30" x 6' or so with a little ramp so no lifting. Tough decision only you can make....and then ya gotta live with the ramifications too-lotza luck-John

• Like 1

Just leave it. Nobody will find it. You go SO FAR in such ROUGH COUNTRY no man alive could EVER find it. Besides, the sheer mortal danger a person would face trying to jack you up would make men just tremble in their boots...'cause after all you don't call 911. Just your level of existence makes it nearly impossible for the bike to be stolen. The odds of anyone having to go so far in such rough country and actually having the prunes to take property that belongs to such a tough, badass guy like yourself are slim to non existent.

Just leave it in the desert. It is the only solution that makes sense. If you find it missing just use your highly developed tracking skills to hunt them down and teach them a lesson. How can you go wrong???

• Like 1

I had a chine saw go missing from the back of my truck. Hell they even took the Plastic lawn chars we had. This is why God Made Dogs! Take one on your walk about and leave the other in camp! My dog are on the wimpy side. I put them on a 1/4 inch chain so they Stay there but can bust it if needed. Beining 50lb plus or more.

Edited by homefire

Just leave it. Nobody will find it. You go SO FAR in such ROUGH COUNTRY no man alive could EVER find it. Besides, the sheer mortal danger a person would face trying to jack you up would make men just tremble in their boots...'cause after all you don't call 911. Just your level of existence makes it nearly impossible for the bike to be stolen. The odds of anyone having to go so far in such rough country and actually having the prunes to take property that belongs to such a tough, badass guy like yourself are slim to non existent.

Just leave it in the desert. It is the only solution that makes sense. If you find it missing just use your highly developed tracking skills to hunt them down and teach them a lesson. How can you go wrong???

I'm going to take a guess and say that Bedrock Bob is the board asshole... am I right?

As for the rest of you guys, thanks for your input. Seems a few of you had some bad luck with thieves at one time or another. Thieves suck!

• Like 2

I'm going to take a guess and say that Bedrock Bob is the board asshole... am I right?

As for the rest of you guys, thanks for your input. Seems a few of you had some bad luck with thieves at one time or another. Thieves suck!

You asked for input and seem to have all the obvious reasons all nailed down with your super powers. I figure the little bike is safe out there under a bush. As a matter of fact I think everyone should leave their equipment under a bush. They should also leave their money on the desk, their gun in the closet and their wife at the bar. It will all just work out peaches and cream.

The immense benefit you will realize by leaving it under a bush will more than offset any risk. That much is as clear as mud. There really is no use discussing it further. Just take the bike out there and leave it! Start realizing those benefits today!

We had a big rock thrown through my buddy’s windshield. We were parked at the end of a 25 mile dead end road and some Ahole decided to bash the window in. We hiked out after 5 days and lot of rain to find the mess but luckily the truck was still there. You need to realize that Aholes and thieves don’t all stay in the cities.

Azblackbird

I have had 2 skidders stolen ,the 518 Cat was stolen 3 times on one job. I have had two

Cat dozers stolen ,an air compressor, several log truck tires,chains,binders,chainsaws,and

several thousand dollars worth of damage by vandals. Tell me again how nice folks are !

If they can't drive it off,they will destroy it! They even steal the signs from my mining claims.

If you can get there,they will too.