Nugget Shooter Forums

I am currently working in an area pretty far from off the beaten path was checking out the jobsite on google maps and notices two large circles on the ground about 1/4 mi away (apprx 100' across and apprx 75' across) the next day I went out walking in the area and about 100 yards away from these circles there's all kinds of very odd looking rocks on the ground some metal some stone some stone with metal in them I took a pict of one of the metal ones the material seems verry maliable with a silver/grey color I've found about 20 of these they are extremly heavy for there size I studied up a bit on meteorites and did the streak test and they leave no mark, there is no existing railroad or evedence of any old railroad tracks nearby and the fact that there is stone pieces should conclude it's not slag I would think, I'm wondering if this may be an ancient impact site , like I said near the site there is many of these pieces and outside of this area there is nothing that looks like this on the ground oh by the way every one of the pieces Im finding are attracted to a magnet some strongly some little. I even have some green pieces with black Gemmy looking hunks on/in them they are Green throught & have what looks like wire in them. I'll post more pictures tomorrow. these are picts of a heavy silver/grey one please keep in mind this is miles from civaiization.

post-26952-0-59230600-1382926153_thumb.j

post-26952-0-63184300-1382926194_thumb.j

Does, "cirlces on the ground" equate to a couple of depressions, as well? Any rim?

ANy known mining history in the area?

ANd the area is where?

Hi thanx for responding the area is in riverside county, ca. no mining history other than some Gem mining nearest I know of is 20 or so miles away, the circles arent depressed and there isnt a "curb around them" something I too also thought about but was thinking maybe they are so old that those things are gone,

Looks like a Jimungus Silver Nugget to me. Better photo's needed for sure. Need photo of Depression as well. Was there a Dimple in the Depression? Spit on it rub with Aluminum Foil. Do you smell Sulpher?

Some more picts of the pircrs I'm trying to figure out with your help there is a pict I got off the internet of a meteorite slice and one of the big pieces I found that I sliced they are very similar ? Some of the heavy Green pieces which are attracted to a magnet and have silver wire in them, one of the stones with Iron protruding out and one of the very heavy black burned ones that are silver inside please keep in mind all were burned I put some in acid to see what was inside. thanx for your opinions & answers. I will take better/other picts if necessary. I've given samples to soooo many so called mineral experts and they are all stumped.

post-26952-0-89586400-1383101595_thumb.j

post-26952-0-26343500-1383101718_thumb.j

post-26952-0-99224700-1383101796_thumb.j

post-26952-0-50285000-1383101952_thumb.j

post-26952-0-99752300-1383102049_thumb.j

A lot of those pictures look like very ordinary earthly materials to me. The first picture in your last post looks very much like slag with some iron mixed in. The shark looking thing looks very much like metal that was spilled on the desert floor. The last picture looks like an ordinary rock covered in desert varnish. MAYBE there's some precious metals mixed in there but I don't think you have any meteorites.

To be honest I really dont care either way weather or not they are meteors I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this I'm 50 yrs old and have been an outdoorsmen/hunter, rockhound and overall collector of many diff. things from outside and this just doesnt make any sense I have some silver chunks that I have been trying to photo and no matter what I do or what camera I use the picts turn out blurry, this is really strange.mad0228%5B1%5D.gif your opinions are respected and appreciated

Hi Rigidy.

Try using a Tripod or prop your camera up, focus and use your shutter timer. This has worked for me.

I'm really interested in knowing what you've come across. Like you said, meteorite or not, it's interesting. Keep us posted with whatever you find out.

Edited by saginaw72

Picture 1 looks like a "Lava Bomb" and the rest look like lava to me, I have sold 100,s of similar but larger items from a deposit I once had access to but they where much larger. I still have some of them in the 20 to 40 LB range and I will try to get pictures and post them.

I believe you have a volcanic eruption site. "LAVA BOMBS" are formed when molten lava is ejected and lands in ash or sand thus keeping them in their original form till they solidify.

Lava bombs from Baja, México are often imported for yard decorations by stone companies and Home Depot & Lowes, most of them are in the larger sizes 4' to 6' and very convoluted. In the US deposits on BLM land can be leased but not claimed, if there are larger pieces like the first picture that are atheistically pleasing then you could contact the local BLM office to check on leasing or buying them outright, I have been out of the decorative stone business so long I am not up to date on the current rules. If they are on private property you can make a deal maybe, if they are on RR property forget it! :m2c:

Max

Here's a cpl more picts of things from the site and an artifact I found there.

This second set of pictures does not resemble the first set at all, some of them are plainly slag! Are you saying that the first set of pictures came form the same place?

Are you trying a scam? Or has some one left them for some one else to find? Rock hounds are famous for leaving their excess in a place where it not normally found as a sort of practical joke , I have done it and been taken in by it too!

The one with the metal protruding form it still looks like some sort of lava to me and some lava is soft enough to drive a nail or screw into it.

There are lava deposits that are so light that they float in water and they are commercially mined as a cement additive and hand carved into curios.

What you show in the second set of pictures is easily duplicated in the right lava, when I sold my lava bombs I made some smaller ones in to wall hangings and had no trouble driving sheetrock screws in to them with a hand screw driver.

Again: :m2c:

Many places in the US has lava with inclusions of other materials some of them are very popular with mineral collectors .

Max

Some more picts of the pircrs I'm trying to figure out with your help there is a pict I got off the internet of a meteorite slice and one of the big pieces I found that I sliced they are very similar ? Some of the heavy Green pieces which are attracted to a magnet and have silver wire in them, one of the stones with Iron protruding out and one of the very heavy black burned ones that are silver inside please keep in mind all were burned I put some in acid to see what was inside. thanx for your opinions & answers. I will take better/other picts if necessary. I've given samples to soooo many so called mineral experts and they are all stumped.

Yes all of these came from the same place & there's a heck of alot more than this I'm just having trouble downloading pictures right now I'll get some more on here in a day or two. thank you all for your interest and opinions.

Here's a cpl more picts, the brown/black square one is about 12lbs. and I cleaned off a little spot of the surface which revealed silver colored metal, it's slightly attracted to a magnet, the other pict is various pieces I've collected, I also had a question. Can "slag" be created by the impact of a meteorite say terrestrial minerals being melted on impact or is slag only considered slag when its disguarded from mining operations.

post-26952-0-61259100-1383661064_thumb.j

post-26952-0-68313500-1383661169_thumb.j

An udate to all this, the big green ones have pieces of Garnet all over and inside them, some of the smaler heavier ones are Silver & the larger heavier ones are still at the lab I'll get the outcome of those tests in a day or two, I really doubt someone "left this stuff for me to find" being it will probably turn out to be worth some $$$ I'll post the lab tests as soon as I getem. I'm wondering if anyone looked at the 3rd set of 4 picts I posted number 2 & 3 the similarities between the two, are they similar or is it just me.

Hi here's a cpl more picts of the heavy pieces I'm finding, these are as heavy as lead, vary in size and shape, the 1st pict is what they look like when I find them, the 2nd pict is a group of them the 3rd is one I cut in half, these are non magnetic but are ever so slightly attracted to a magnet all have a black/brown burn on the outside of them, whatever it is it is it's quite soft. if there is anything I can do to help in identifying them (close up picts. etc. please let me know. thanx.

post-26952-0-57740500-1384636329_thumb.j

post-26952-0-89582900-1384636371_thumb.j

post-26952-0-56244600-1384636419_thumb.j

Have you done a "Streak Test" on these yet, to see what color streak they leave when rubbed on a piece of unglazed porcelain or ceramic, the underside of your toilet tank lid is a good "test plate" to do a streak test, be sure to rub a part of the specimen that has been cut, e.g. the inside?

You could have saved some money if you would have followed tfd advice. Surely there's a rock club or someone in your area that can

indentify them for you. If you live near a college or even a high school, there may be someone from a natural history,earth science dept that can help. Don't look like anything special to me.

Hi Rigidy.

This really getting interesting.

The fact that your finds are soft, or friable, is a twist. I don't know if these are meteorites, but they are worth the efforts you're applying to them to find out.

You should chemically test them now to see what it will tell you about them.

There have been many posts on nuggetshooter describing how this is done. Desertsunburn's (Jim Wooddel) posts about it come first to mind.

Search for these posts, or maybe someone knows of a relevent post and will provide a link.

Keep your posts coming, they've got me hooked.

Saginaw

Edited by saginaw72

Hi Rigidy.

Try some of the tests yourself, if you're comfortable with that. If you use spare/small specimens you wouldn't hurt anything.

Desersunburn i.e., Jim Wooddel, and others have posted how-to info here on nuggetshooter. Search for these posts and you will find what you'll need to know there.

Good luck!

Saginaw