Nugget Shooter Forums

Your favorite coil for deep gold?

I thought a poll on "favorite coil" for deep gold would be a good idea just to see what our fellow nuggethunting friends use. Coils are a great subject...because can anyone really admit one, two , three is enough? Personally every year I find myself buying one or two to add to my collection. I have found gold with all of them, except with the 8x6 NF coil I bought a month ago as I have not used it but once.

RH2 I have the same bad habit that you do.....last count I had 11 coils and I use them all. It depends on a lot of factors why I prefer one coil over the other 10.....like how much brush or rocks in the area.....the amount of very bad minerals present.....if there are any power lines close by.....small nuggets found in the past or big ones....weather (lightening or not).....but to answer your question....if I suspected large deep nuggets in an area I would start with a round 18" mono or 12x24 El mono or my 25" round mono.....

From the 18" and up the game has to be low and slow AND no metal on your body......

A large mono will certainly give you more depth but if it is noisy you won't hear the target so I go for smooth and quiet. Maybe my new Mine Lab gpz 5500 will enable me to use a large mono more often.

RH hard to beat the ease of use, weight and sensitivity of a 17" elliptical mono as an all round deep seeker as well as having sensitivity to the small stuff closer to the surface. ---Mike F

17" Eliptical mono is the biggest I can use because I have a few pounds of zirconium for my knees ans a large stainless rod below my right knee. Any larger coil and I will literally be fighting myself. Many places I have hunted sure needed a much larger coil....

El D You forgot to mention your tinfoil hat and your obama/biden 2012 button. I went back over some ground with an 11" dd yesterday that had stopped producing using my monos. Picked up 3 pretty nice nuggets. The signal was some were between "my imagination" and "Wishful thinking" I just plain couldn't hear them through the slight noise I always get with a mono using a high gain setting.

El D it was at the spot above the creek.

Dang ! I had to ask ... :ROFL:... now I have three coils on my list......Here is my present list. An obvious first is the 17 inch Mono elliptical , a 18 inch DD commander or large Coiltek dd, and a monster 25 inch Mono N.F. coil..for those special occasions. Garimpo, bad habits are hard to get rid off...thanks for all your help. Chris, can you tell me more about your WesternStates Prospecting Association? Mike, I have plenty of small coils for the small stuff..whats lacking in my collection is a mega coil for the few times I wished I had one to go deep, deep, deep in areas of klunkers...klunker.. :) ...not making fun of your name. Thank you all for participating in this poll, lets see what else comes up with other forum member.

Make fun all you want. I always enjoy a good laugh- even at my expense. The mystery is -does the name refer to my gold or my vehicle.

If you could put all of the knowledge of the WSPA members in a book you would have a priceless piece of literature. Their claims actually have gold on them and they have,perhaps, the best chef on the planet.

17'' E mono My all time favorite. There are times when I wish I had a 25'' mono to use in open ground. I have a total of 12 coils. they all have there place.

PM me your email and Ill send information about the WSPA.

Currently were at our 100 membership cap, I urge you to apply by filling out an application to reserve a spot on our wait list.

Here is a few klunkers from one of our new claims.

post-861-0-23070500-1382453749_thumb.jpg

Some Day you all will remember the Old BFO! Yep the one that does the Wooooooup, Deuuuuuup song. As simple as they are they can and do still find the gold.

Fred, my favorite (main) coil is the 17NF E mono coil. small large surface deep, don't matter. Have a 20" NF SL, I'm gonna put a few hours on at GB. When I get back, if you want to try it, let me know. Haven't found any good w/ it yet, but have found some deep bullets!

Shep

Edited by shep
  • Like 1

Another vote for the 17NF E mono. I find patches with it and work them out with the 16" round. Prefer the 16 over an 18 because it seems to go almost as deep but is lighter and more manueverable in bushes.

Thanks for your collective opinions on the large coils. It has helped me finally decide on my large coil of choice

. :wee: It appears one of the most popular all around is the N.F. 17 Elleptical Mono. Shep, I was thinking of giving you a buzz on that idea, try it before I buy it thing, thanks for the offer. I choose the NF 20' R Mono, it arrived and I took it out yesterday for spin. What can I say...its extremely light compared to the Commander 18", its built like a sh-t brick house. This coil was very stable, extremely sensitive, I dug some deep targets I have been over with other coils, no gold, but I had confidence that nothing was in the scanned areas after I went over it with this 20" NF Mono. It was difficult to pin point but using the 90 degree I was able to get the general area. I did not get any false signals when I bumped the coil on a rock, overall I am very happy with this coil and confident it will do the job. My next coil will be the NF 17 E Mono....thanks again guys, and good luck at the outing..wish I was going.