Nugget Shooter Forums

Couple pieces from Gold Basin today

JasonG

Set my trailer up and decided to go to my claim for a couple hours. First detecting day of the year, starting off good, virgin hands - no detecting callouses yet even. .26 gram little un and a 4.68 gram gold/quartz piece.

Good luck out there to those going to the outing, weather is awesome, and the dirt was drywashable, at least where I was at.

post-1226-0-12096500-1382135921_thumb.jp

post-1226-0-76264200-1382135935_thumb.jp

Dang!
Thats a nice nugget :)
WTG :yesss:

Keep posten them finds.

GL to you in the future.
Tom H.

Thanks guys, and Adam for making me see nothing but Scream in my coils now. Can't be unseen. :5bat:

Ok I can pointy finger if I pass through GPAA camp. But it's all good to me - 360 degrees around there!

It took me 4 years to figure out, but there is a very specific, yet very subtle geology and geography that when combined probably 75% of the time produce a nugget patch in Gold Basin that I haven't really seen anywhere else. They are few and far between for sure though, so much stuff out here is normally 1-off type finds.

WTG on the research payoff

One more today for .87 grams. I think I have this patch pretty well flogged, gonna try drywashing tomorrow.

That little guy was over 10 inches down sitting on bedrock. 17x11 NF amazes me sometimes. I had brushed aside the top gravel with my foot last year running my 9x14 and left the signal in the ground for whatever reason, I usually don't do that unless it dissapears. Ran over with this bigger coil today and it sounded like a great target. :idunno:

post-1226-0-24062400-1382215658_thumb.jp

It took me 4 years to figure out, but there is a very specific, yet very subtle geology and geography that when combined probably 75% of the time produce a nugget patch in Gold Basin that I haven't really seen anywhere else. They are few and far between for sure though, so much stuff out here is normally 1-off type finds.

Jason,

Clay Diggings geology on his Gold Basin CD shows it all, with the different types of soils there, and the indicators for finding where gold is at. Overlay that with google earth, and it will give you some real good spots to hunt. The source from Gold Basin has never been found , and is said to have weathered away over the years, just leaving spots we find. There is larger gold just on the other side of the mountain, King Tut area. It also has some history Thomas "Pegleg" Smith traversed these parts, in the 1820's, 30's and 40's.

Dave

Dave,

Is the GSSN claim part of that geology where more nuggets are found? Many of those club members have found nice gold and they continue to have good dry washing experience over the years. I'll have to look and see what is still open BLM land on Clay's map or part of one of the groups I belong to.

Mitchel

Dave, I looked at that Gold Basin CD a few years ago and it just looked like a repackaging of free government data. Maybe I'm missing something...? I haven't used the CD, just read their webpage description of it. The mining claims are nice, but I just go to the recorder myself anyplace I'm prospecting to get more up to date filings.

I have all those standard map layers, drainages, geology maps, etc for free on my website btw through a Google Earth web-based plugin.

Jason,

A lot of what Clay has on his CD does have the government docs, that you have, and it has pretty current claim ownership, ect. I also saw your plugin on your website, which is awesome !!!

Mitchel,

Almost all of the Claims there are part of the geology. You will have to make a trip to the BLM office for current up to the date ownership, and open claims. Almost everywhere in Gold Basin, if you get down to bedrock/ Caliche you will find small flake gold.

3 more today, 1.37 grams, CLR'ed and toothbrushed nice and shiny.

Still squeezing a couple drops out of this patch running over it with the 16" now. :head:

post-1226-0-85229200-1382671050_thumb.jp

3 is a magic number I guess. 3 more again today for (almost) 3 grams total.

If anyone who sells Nuggetfinder coils is coming to the outing or GB - I could really use a 17x11NFA and 14x9NFA coil covers. Mine are toast. If so, message me and let me know price so I can get money or if you prefer I can trade gold.

Also, can anyone tell me what the black tape NF uses on their coil covers is? I use that white cloth medical tape but it's nowhere near as strong as the black stuff they use and I can't find it anywhere. I tried electrical tape on my 16" today (in photo) but it's already toast on the bottom after a short half day detecting.

Alright, good luck to all, hope to see some others finding a few up here anyday now too! I'm taking a break for a few days for football and relaxation.

post-1226-0-64792600-1382736682_thumb.jp

Jason ... Tried to send you a PM and it said you can't receive any more messages so your mailbox must be full! If Bill doesn't have any of the tape you are looking for ... check with Bill first please so I don't get in trouble promoting an alternative source since I work with that alternative source ... I want to stay in Bill's good graces ... Like I said IF BILL DOESN'T HAVE ANY .... check with Chris at AZO as I know he has some.

Mike F

Jason,

Not sure what NF used but if you can get some Gorilla tape! it's like duct tape on steroids it is way better and lasts a long time. It's so good I bet the Myth Busters could build an Aircraft carrier out of it.

I use masking tape and a very, very small bead of clear silicone to seal the seam. Easy to cut when you need to change covers.

Just mask, caulk and finger trowel the bead into the seam. Peal the tape and let dry.

Easy to cut the seal when you need to change the cover.

I actually have a roll of the Gorilla Tape in my toolbox from my Gold Hog mat experiments on my dredge come to think of it. That stuff is burly. I'll give it a try. I've shredded my covers too much to try the silicon at this point. Man, they make those things outta some thin plastic for being a protective barrier and all. Coil manufacturers - you listening???

One more yesterday, 1.17 grams. The wind has really picked up here, it's like 20-30 mph on top of my little hill I'm on.

post-1226-0-17564400-1382974972_thumb.jp

Jason,

Don't know if you remember me or not but, my buddies and I found your buddy wandering around the desert last weekend. You helped me with the set-up on my Minelab at your camp.

Could you contact me at wwagon55@yahoo.com ?

Thanks,

Dennis

Archived