Nugget Shooter Forums

Can a meteorite be...

Can a meteorite be non magnetic and not sound hot to a GP Extreme?

Just askin cause I found a weird fist sized dark brown rock (sunbaker) in NV that was unlike anything I've ever seen up there. It was roundish and looked like it had a crust. I filed off part of of the crust and it was greenish inside.

I've picked up so many rocks over the years it isn't funny. I used to collect the odd ones and then annually dump them out at my camp at Rich Hill. I'm sure some people have seen them and wondered how they got there. Then I quit collecting them. I brought this particular rock back to my camp in NV and pitched it there because I had heard that the meteorites found up there were magnetic. Obviously, not all meteorites are the same so I'll fetch it next time I get up there and post a couple photos.

I was hoping for an answer like "Yes, it could be a not hot and non magnetic meteorite if _____________________________ ."(fill in the blank)

I was hoping for an answer like "Yes, it could be a not hot and non magnetic meteorite if _____________________________ ."(fill in the blank)

Yes, it could be a not hot and non magnetic meteorite if it has fusion crust. Any number of achondrites will match your criteria. You are more likely to be struck by lighting during a shark attack than find an achondrite, however.

Besides the overwhelming odds, another problem is most folk don't recognize fusion crust, or mistake rock features/colors for fusion crust. It takes many years of handling multitudes of meteorites before you can really get the hang of it.

Edited by Mikestang

• 5 months later...

OK, I fetched this rock that I tossed last fall. It looks like a meteorite but isn't hot or magnetic. The reason I picked it up was because it didn't match any of the surrounding rocks.

Here are some photos. Any thoughts?

post-740-0-77074400-1396970272_thumb.jpg

post-740-0-53933800-1396970285_thumb.jpg

post-740-0-78508800-1396970302_thumb.jpg

post-740-0-22549600-1396970315_thumb.jpg

post-740-0-46426200-1396970334_thumb.jpg

Yes Stone Meteorites don't have to have any Metal in them. Stone Meteorites are just Rock from some place that got blasted away from some place. That looks like Basalt and Field Spar to me.

Edited by homefire

Yes Stone Meteorites don't have to have any Metal in them. Stone Meteorites are just Rock from some place that got blasted away from some place. That looks like Basalt and Field Spar to me.

We have a winner!

From GEOLOGY OF THE EUGENE MOUNTAINS at http://www.nbmg.unr.edu/dox/m115text.pdf

"Black, dense, vesicular to amygdaloidal olivine-bearing basalt.

Columnar joints are found locally. Microphenocrysts of olivine
and clinopyroxene in a hyalopilitic groundmass. Microlites of
plagioclase feldspar display pilotaxitic texture. Amygdules are
composed of chalcedony. Basalt flows in the Eugene Mountains
are interbedded with silicic ash-flow tuffs (Tsv). The tops of
basalt flows underlying Tsv are brick red and hematitic.

Doesn't look like a meteorite to me.

Homefire, stone meteorites can be upwards of 20% metal (Fe/Ni).

Yes but they don't have to have any. Moon Rocks have little to non.