Nugget Shooter Forums

Using X-ray to view lode gold

GeoJack

Have some rocks that have some good gold in them and wanted to see how much and what it was like before I committed them to the acid process. Took them to my local vet for an x-ray. Bottom left piece has quite a bit of gold showing on the surface so used that as a measurement in the x-ray. Well spent $45.00. Top right piece weights in at 2.5 lbs.

Xray%20rocks%20sm.jpgXray%20sm.jpg

Wouldn't other elements in the sample also show as opaque, for instance, Ca , P and/or Fe?

?

then again, I guess you are on to something

,,,http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/08/130821094931.htm

Weaver,

I'm sure it would, maybe that is why it took three takes to get this shot. Don't know about the P, but we have the Ca and Fe for sure. Calcite is the main carrier in this system and is always on the quartz where the AU shows up.

I don't think the Ca,P,Fe,Si,K,etc would show up like the native gold would since it's not in metallic state. imho

We don't have metal bones but they show up on Xray... what do you think is in them :brows: ?

FD, still swinging the GB 2, upgraded from my just my pick for the ones in the pictures. Progressed from the tailing pile to contact with the vein and these came out of a vug. Hand chiseled them out with a five pound drilling hammer and chisel.

John, I've had difficulty using that method as the quartz is full of pockets. I actually get a negative weight when looking right at the gold in the rock.

The X-ray was used to id the gold location so I can trim the specimen down with a wet saw prior to the acid treatment so I don't use acid on rock unnecessarily.

We don't have metal bones but they show up on Xray... what do you think is in them :brows: ?

I said they wouldn't "show up like native gold since it's not in a metallic state". The key words are "native gold". Ever see tooth xrays?

The silver amalgam shows up better because it's in metallic state, unlike the Ca,P, etc which are in compounds.

GJ- really,really nice finds. Wish I was your neighbor. lol

Ok, you're not just looking for any opacity - but the degree of/differences in.

I take it you had to reduce the exposure time in order for it to not looked washed out/ so that there was some contrast?

I have had a few of the species that I slabbed up X-rayed prior to cutting and it sure helped.

El D, I was told by a gentleman at the Gem Show in Placerville that gold in this rock is good for slabbing and cabs whereas the rocks we showed you at Rye Patch are not. Is he right? Should I slab these and have cabs made? It is more lucrative than trying to use acid and sell the specimen?

Color enhanced side scan sonar and still have a video from that particuliar tv show,discovery I believe, and saved the mine for sure!! Nice seeing them huge pockets gleaming yellow on a monitor many feet into them tunnel walls-John