Nugget Shooter Forums

Recipe for cleaning gold

Oakview2

I'm not sure as how Steve uses the vinegar and salt, but I put some vinegar and salt in a little bottle add the gold and let it sit on a shelf, and once, twice even three a day I give it a good shaking, do that for a week or two and it will cleanup your gold very nice, the salt adds a little abrasion and the vinegar/acid eats away at any mineral stains, etc.

About a tablespoon full of salt in a plastic pill bottle and fill about 3/4 full of white vinegar toss in several nuggets and shake gently for about 5 minutes. The salt doesn't dissolve in the vinegar and the nuggets come out with a beautiful natural looking shine. Use the left over solution to season the gator mentioned in a previous post.

My preference is to not over clean and polish a natural nugget.

Isn't there a chlorine molecule doing something there? Seems like I heard something about the chlorine from the salt acting with the surface. We did a bunch of amalgam one time and I think the fellow used salt to get the sponge gold to shine up. He explained something about chlorine and gold and why salt worked so well.

I put my dry gold in table salt in a vial about half full and set it on the console. By the time I get to the pavement it shines good enough for me. Those manganese oxide coated nuggets look great with only the high spots burnished anyway.

Been out in the field for a week and only got a few stabs at the forum so this was missed. Klunker got it perfect. Ratio does not really seem to matter I usually put the nugs in a container and cover with salt then fill with white vinegar. I'm to lazy to do the shake so I just put the container in my ultrasonic cleaner....... After half a long lifetime of dealing with cleaning nuggets this is the best way I have found to just clean nuggets without polishing them or altering the surface in anyway...........