Nugget Shooter Forums

New to detecting have some questions

LS12FAST4U

Im thinking of getting a Garrett Ace 150 or the 250. I know they are not the best ones but its what I can afford right now. I was wondering if the coil that comes with them will be fine for finding nuggets? Also where do you suggest I start looking for nuggets? I live in Boise Idaho and up near Idaho City we have an absolute ton of dredge tailings. Would the tailings be one of the best places to search?

The 250 is geared for finding coins and runs in a lower freq then a purpose made gold machine. Yes the AT is the Better gold machine. If memory is right the Ace does not have Ground Balance and that's pretty much a Requirement on a gold machine.

Hello,

If you look around, you can find some used gold machines, sometimes in pawn shops, often some dealers have traded-in gold machines. If gold nugget hunting is your focus, then look for a good gold machine, if you want a coin/gold machine, you will be finding coins, but usually at the sacrifice of finding small gold nuggets up in the Boise Basin, which are few and far between anyway, as there is so much overburden of rock/soils.

Look for shallow bedrock in the Basin, there you may find your small nuggets, and maybe even a larger one, if you are thorough in your search, and are very lucky. Sounds as if you may have found some already, I don't know how you did find them, if with a pan, that is good, if with a detector, then you need to remember the look the area you found them, and concentrate in finding more such areas similar, and you will then be on the track to finding more of the gold that you seek.

Used gold machines to look for might include. Gold Bug 1, Gold Bug 2, Whites Goldmaster series, would be my first choices, which you could buy for the price of a Garrett you talk about, maybe even less. Whites is good about refurbishing machines if they need it, just be a little picky and even put a want ad in Craigslist, it is free and covers a very large area.

Someone may have one collecting dust that they would love to sell, just to make a few extra dollars.

Be mindful however, of what such a detector should sell for, by looking at other ads on the internet.

Youtube will give you good instructions on detectors, so snoop around there, there is a world in info if you look for it.

Hope this helps!

Largo

• Like 1

There out there. Used ones that is. Check out all the Shops around you. Take your time. Even if you have to save up some more cash, Coin machines running at 6 or 7 KHz are not the ticket. 15Khz or more is better by far. Don't Laugh at me here . A BFO detector is most cool finding Black Sands that can contain gold on the River banks. A fifty dollar detector in the 70's found me more then a few Oz.

Look, heres the deal, you are choosing a detector, with a factory ground balnce, made for coins, you need a detector with a manual ground balance, that you can ajust for the ground conditions,Gold is found in mineralized ground, a coin detector might find a big chunk of gold, but most gold is in the small range, so in order to find that gold, you need to be able hear the change in tones, you can only do that by having an ajustale ground balance, either automatic, or manual, you can't do it with a factory set ground balance. Grubstake

• Like 1

What ever you get, make sure it can be ground balanced, by you, some have an auto ground balance, most have a manual ground balace, unless you just want to hunt coins, don't get one with a factory ground balance, its a waste of money, Most gold detectorsm are in the 17khz range on freq. so get one that has that high or higher, Some Whites have 48 kHz. aAND ARE RESONABLE TOO, wHITES v/SAT OR gOLD MASTER DETECTORS ARE GOOD, gOLD BUGS ARE GOOD, tESORROS ARE GOOD, lOBO'S OR MAYBE YOU COULD FIND A CHEAP WHITES, WOULD BE YOUR BEST BET, AS LONG AS ITS A GOLDMASTER. Good luck, sorry about the caps, My caps lock got stuck. Grubstake

You have two kinds of coils, DD and concentric, MONO. DD coils work best in mineralized ground, mono coils are more sens. but DD works best for all conditions. DD coil have a bar down the center of the coil, Mono coils are open type. Grubstake Most gold detectors, come with a DD as a stock coil, So if by a used detector, make sure, that you get a DD coil with it, It will work with a mono, but, might be harder to get stable in gold country. Grubstake

Edited by grubstake

Not an ignorant question at all ... dd coil aka Double D coil ... means that it is wired with 2 windings of wire each shaped in a letter 'D' and mounted within the coil back to back. A DD coil on a VLF (Very Low Frequency) detector (the type that has been recommended to you here and to which I concur) is essential for searching for gold. Many of the VLF coin machines work on what is called a 'concentric' coil ... different animal from the DD coil ... the DD coil is more sensitive and more forgiving of the mineralized soils that you will experience in the gold field. The 'elliptical' coil that Grubstake referred to is oval in shape rather than the typical round coil. The elliptical allows more freedom of movement as you poke and prod around trees, cactus and larger rocks/boulders. For all practical circumstances the elliptical is the most efficient coil to have when prospecting for nuggets in gold country as most gold fields are full of irregular shapes.

Hope that clears up the mud somewhat ... I'm sure some of it is still a little muddy for you but it will clear as time goes on. All the information from the posters above the is excellent advice. Let us know what machine you end up with.

Mike F