Nugget Shooter Forums

The definitave Arizona site for fossils,Dino's & Indians

Thanks Max. I've been wanting to diversify my hunting and fossils have always been an interest of mine.

Saginaw

Thanks Guys, I have actually met MR. Ratkevich some years ago. He owns Tucson Minerals & Gem World Rock shop: http://www.tucsonmineral.com/index.html

It is a museum in its self, if you are a rock hound or fossil collector it is well worth the drive to Tucson no matter where you live in AZ or CA.

Thanks for the link Max. I always thought of Az strictly for gold nugget hunting and mineral collecting localities. Didn't realize all kind of fossils could be found there also. Interesting.

Steve, A claim I sold but still have access to has lots of Fossil Corral and other old ocean fossils, and little geodes. It all lies just above the gold producing layers, there is some mixed up geology in AZ..

Max

Saginaw, There are some very good fossil localities in NM, the best are on private property but if you join some of the fossil organizations they have field trips or you can make a direct approach to the land owner. Here is a link to get you started:http://jpaleontol.geoscienceworld.org/content/74/6/1043.abstract

I have made some good finds in Highway cuts but I don.t recommend it, the HP will ticket you! Up around Caballo Lake there are lots of fossils, look at Bedrock Bobs posts. Lake Valley has some world class localities but on Private property.

Good Luck

Max

Thanks for the info Max. I'll search BB's posts for more info as you suggest. I plan to research over the winter and go hunting NM/AZ in the spring.

A friend of mine found a nice little fossilized pile of dino doo, but she doesn't remember exactly where she found it.

I, myself, found a crinoid stem impression in an odd little rock that had a lot of surprises in it. Take a look.

Saginaw