Nugget Shooter Forums

My first Nugget find!

Paleomanjim

I am a meteorite hunter and I usually do most of my hunting at the Franconia strewn field. A couple weeks ago I decided to make a trip to Gold Basin and do some detecting with my GB2. I had bought a Garret Super Sluicer pan in case I got bored detecting and thought I would try some dry panning. So after a few hours of detecting and not finding anything I took out the pan and panned out several buckets of creek gravels. Just panned em half way and brought back the concentrates to wet pan at home. I found around 3 dozen specs wet panning, small stuff but cool since it was my first gold ever.

On Monday I headed back out to Gold Basin, this time with a large pick and shovel. I found an area where the bedrock in the creek was only a foot or so below the gravel so I scraped everything off to about 3" or so above the bedrock, then collected the 3" above the bedrock. The bedrock itself was a bit crumbly in places so I was able to bust a lot of it up with the pick and collect the broken rocks. Brought back a total of 7 buckets of pay dirt. This stuff was much richer than my previous trip, no doubt due to the greater depth and bedrock inclusion. Anyway, every pan was producing a few specs and occasional pickers. The gravel is a bit of a pain panning towards the end, jostles the black sand around too much, so I ordered a set of classifier pans and got em earlier today. I classified 1 full bucket with 1/4". then 1/8". The 1/4" was fairly large and I did not see anything shaking the classifier so I considered throwing out the 1/4" and just panning the 1/8". Just for the hell of it I decided to pan it in case a spec or 2 was stuck to the larger gravel. With no sand in the way it only took 30 seconds to pan it out and when most all the gravel was out of the pan there was a nice nugget on the bottom! Its small, ugly, and only 0.3 grams, but as Mick Jagger once said, "I like it, like it, yes I do!"

After the excitement of the find I decided to see if my GB2 could detect it. No problem, in the iron mode (which is the only mode I have ever used on it) it would sound off from 3" below the coil. I decided to try the "disc" mode and found it sounded much louder and I could detect it from nearly 6" below the coil. That was interesting. Hunting meteorites must be done in the iron mode, but clearly hunting gold should be done in the disc mode. So next time I try to detect gold I will use that mode, I was nearly wasting my time in the iron mode before.....jim

Nice nugget Jim!

Over in the lower left corner of the GBII there are two, three position switches. The left switch is "Iron Disc" on top, "Normal" in the center and audio boost to the bottom. You should use "Audio Boost" if you can and "Normal" when in hot ground.

The second switch is mineralization. High at the top, normal in the middle and low to the bottom. You should hunt in low if you can, normal if you can't. High will lose depth and sensitivity.

Hope that helps Jim. The GBII is a solid machine and is super sensitive in "normal mode, normal mineralization". "IRON DISC" is neat but not really for tiny or deep gold.

Always keep that sensitivity up there at 10. Use the mode switch and the ground balance to get it stable.

I was just thinking about you Jim! I was showing a fellow how to make an arrowhead and telling him how I met a guy that was one of the best. Hope you are doing good and you find a bunch of gold!

Edited by Bedrock Bob

Nice job man! Nothing like that first nugget. I should know as I've only found 2.

Chris,

Jim is the guy I told you about that showed me how to make those arrowheads. This fellow is a real artist and a heck of a neat guy. He got me started knapping and I don't think I have gotten all the glass off me since.

• Like 1

Jim nice nugget congrats,

Gold Basin has a lot of gold on bedrock. The only time I use the Iron mode on the GB2, is to confirm an iron target, but like Shep says you shouldn't be hunting in that mode, as your depth really stinks, and it cuts out a lot of targets. I have a nice shallow creek I always hit on the way home, if I skunk that day in Gold Basin, this creek always produces good small fines.

Thanks for the pic,

Dave.

Edited by DolanDave

Hey that's cool, that green arrowhead is awesome Bob, so Jim is the master who passed on the technique to you huh? Jim, that's a real neat skill being able to make those glass arrowheads. Bob told me about some of the great big arrowheads you made and I bet they are great. I'd love to see some.

My GB2 and Tesoro LST are part of my keeper units as spent many 1,000s a hours with them and both run just great. Always seeking the ultimate unit,but them oldies but goodies will always be around-John

Edited by Hoser John

Thanks for the reply's and tips from everyone, good things to consider on my next trip. Bob, that gold you showed me at your place did get me fired up! There is something cool about that yellow metal, I think I am hooked on finding more. Glad to hear you made some points!

The small creek I dug had already been drywashed almost the whole length, but they just ran a small path down the center strip and there is still plenty of stuff along the sides, that is where I dug, more or less where they left off.

I joined the GPAA. I see they have have a claim in Meadview called Mahde 17 & 18. Anyone been there? How does it compare to Gold Basin? Also, there is another claim in San Bernadino, CA called Wanderer 1 & 2 north of Holloran Springs rd. if anyone has any advice on that one? I plan to go to one of those places next week to check it out. I live in Vegas now so it is a good location for this hobby. Thanks again folks.....Jim

Jim,

I have been to the Mahde 17 and 18 in Meadview and there is good drywashing sites there. Look for where others have drywashed, and continue from there, usually there is some nice color. I don't think it has been hit as hard as Gold Basin, so you might do a little better there on drywashing. I remember reading a treasure magazine from the 80's in which some guy who owned a prospecting store up north, found a huge nugget from the King Tut/ Meadview area, and he was on the cover of the magazine. Maybe if someone knows more details on that they can chime in.

Dave.

Hey Guys, I think you're talking about the Bahde claims ... Originally owned by Joe Bahde, who passed on a few years ago ... Joe found some amazing large gold, multi-ouncers, in the King Tut area, and I think some of them came from those two claims ... He used to have a website displaying some of his fines .. Joe was a good guy and was extremely right wing politically ... His website was something like "JoeBodyIsRight.com" ... Cheers, Unc

PS...After posting the above I did a search and found part of Joe's site is still alive and showing that awesome gold: Joe Bahde's Website

Edited by Uncle Ron

Hi all,

I believe Cuz Ron is correct. Joe Bahde was a very interesting guy, found some nice nuggets, had some good claims as well.

Thanks for taking us down memory lane, once again!

AND, thanks for the link to Joes website!

Gary