Nugget Shooter Forums

Federal SHELL, .22

Has anyone had this problem? Someone gave me a few hundred Federal Shot shells for the .22. Some what like the Brass of the Old 308 blanks the brass is as long as the brass and Bullet would be. Crimped the same too. They refuse to Eject from a Marlin semi auto. Ruger Mark Two pistol and even a Henry Mini Bolt Rifle. I'm thinking the Brass swells up so much were the Bullet should have been and the Ejector just slips off. Man there hot for sure and twice as hot as a CCI SHot shell. But having to exstract them with a Knife is most un Cool.post-21985-0-09062000-1381336996_thumb.jpost-21985-0-21112900-1381337016_thumb.j

Edited by homefire

Homey a few years ago I had the same problem, ended up shooting them through a .22 revolver and they were still hard to eject. You should send an email to Federal and ask what the problem/solution is. They may want the lot # on the box, if there is any.

Had a cool S and W Kit gun at would eat them for sure but it got sold. Again another reason to go with the old Wheel Gun.

These came without box and just a bunch in a bag. I still think they have issues.

Edited by homefire

From the looks of the case in your photo, they should probably only be fired in a firearm with a magnum length chamber.

In a shorter chamber the crimped part looks like it is exanding into the area that transitions from the chamber to the bore. Too tight.

Or possibly the packaging is mis-marked, if it says they are okay to shoot in anything shorter.

Just a couple of possibilities...

Hope this helps!

Greg

Edit: Oops! Just noticed the part about coming in a bag, with no packaging!

I would bet that the original package did say they were for a magnum length chamber.

Good luck with them!

Greg

Edited by AuTSaurus

Good find, HF.

At the 1:30 mark, he says what I suggested above. Hopefully you have something, handgun or longarm, that you can use to shoot them and exract them easily.

VERY sorry to hear/read about your dog. Use those rounds and any others necessary to get rid of those rodents that did that!!

Greg

Used CCI shot(blue plastic tip) on 3 rattlers sunning themselves yesterday afternoon on the new asphault road. NEVER seen sooo many in such a short time. 2-3 pm really brought them out as freezing up in the canyon at nights now-John

They work great in my little 9 shot S&W revolver! I still have about 6 boxes of 50 of the full 22LR crimped end case type out of the original brick I bought years ago. They also work very well in my single shot Stevens 22/410 my dad bought for me in the early 1950's before I was even big enough to shoot it ... guessing I was 2-3 years old because he bought it just as he was heading to Korea with the Marines in 1951.---Mike F

I was thinking the just didn't have the Blow back to cycle a Semi Auto but the CCI work fine in my Ruger Mark II. Thinking the guns had not had a good scrubbing for a while the Extra long brass ma be hanging up. As stated the Extended Brass goes into the Barrel where the Bullet would be. After Cleaning same chit. CCI's have less power but work fine. Even my kids Henry .22 mini bold with not extract them. Have to pop them out with a pocket knife . Not hard to do just a little pressure. Like the Extractor is slipping off the Rim. I think the Brass extending into the Barrel is building up enough Pressure to Bulb out the Rim and the Extractor can not get hold of the Rim. Just Slides off.

I've shot the CCI Blue ones for years. Never had a problem with them . They work in all our SemiAutos and other. These seem to hang up . Oh Well. Guess I'll just use them to Shoot the Black Bear in the Nostril with one shot. LOL

With the .22 created shortages all kinds of old junk is showing up as old damaged ammo hits the swaps,craigslist and the last gun show I went to I wouldn't buy at least 50% of the old beaten up corroded junk-John :grr01:

With the .22 created shortages all kinds of old junk is showing up as old damaged ammo hits the swaps,craigslist and the last gun show I went to I wouldn't buy at least 50% of the old beaten up corroded junk-John :grr01:

Sounds like you got a bunch of hot loads but I wouldnt use them in a gun w/ejector as you may ruin ejector. Have you tried putting one of these shells in a Magnum cylinder ?

Did you notice that the fine Gov of Calphony signed a bill to ban all lead ammo and raise the price of ammo :grr01: OH wait I think it said ammo for hunting, So does that mean you can buy the good stuff for target practise ? :ROFL:

Not Totally Kalifornicated here. Can't use Lead for Duck or other Water Fowl . Still good with other stuff.

Don't have a .22 mag. These are for sure made for .22 long . Just Funky.

22lr and 22mag casings not the same Jim. 22mag casing larger diameter.

Edited by Rimshot