Nugget Shooter Forums
Trailblazer

Superstitious Minds

It is said that there is an element of superstition or energy guidance in gold mining. How many of you have had a situation like that?

For example one time I was out detecting and I had a clear thought suddenly fill my head "I don't care if I get poison oak, I just want to find gold today." and within a couple minutes I found gold.. looked around and was surrounded by poison oak sticks shooting out of the ground.

Perhaps it is silly, but we do spend a lot of time out there searching quietly with thoughts floating around in our head.

Have you ever felt guided to the gold?

-TB

PS --- luckily I did not get poison oak!

It's always a blurry line between intuition and experience. You can certainly outsmart yourself with either. However there are rare days when I know I will find gold before I leave.

My guide is sadistic...usually it's like hey brain, why don't you hike up that imposing mountain off in the distance and then down the other side, and across this 4 miles of ravine riddled, hellishly rended terrain, and here, have an overwhelming feeling that there is a half oz'er in every wash over there to keep you moving. I complete the trek, arrive back at sundown on rubbery, disfuctional legs with maybe a little half grammer to show for it and usually come back to find out someone found a big ole lunker sticking out from under my truck tire.

• Like 1

When I try to find something that's misplaced, I just recite," Eenie, meanie, chili beanie, the Spirits are about to speak!"

It worked for Bullwinkle...

• Like 1

Sounds like heat exhaustion to me...I become confused when overheated...lol

It is said that there is an element of superstition or energy guidance in gold mining. How many of you have had a situation like that?

For example one time I was out detecting and I had a clear thought suddenly fill my head "I don't care if I get poison oak, I just want to find gold today." and within a couple minutes I found gold.. looked around and was surrounded by poison oak sticks shooting out of the ground.

Perhaps it is silly, but we do spend a lot of time out there searching quietly with thoughts floating around in our head.

Have you ever felt guided to the gold?

-TB

PS --- luckily I did not get poison oak!

Absolutely this happens for me and I have found a couple of my best nugget patches by just having a feeling to check a spot normally I might have passed otherwise. I pay very close attention to "gut" feelings and folks can say what they want but it works. If you got this going on for you it will likely prove rewarding in the future.

I got it goin on fer me Bill, its that gut feelin fer sure found some really nice nugs over the past couple years.
Another MUST is I have to take Uncle Marvin along on my trips with me if I don't I usually regret leavin him at home. :D

Gut feeling sometimes but mostly just plain dumb luck for me.....

My nugget guide Maureen Sets Me in the right direction to find real big nuggets.

And Harry ... she usually out hunts you ... at least when I have been around! :)

Trailblazer,

I think you have just told us a new place to hunt.

They say go to the places others will not go and do what others will not do ... find a poison oak patch ladies and gentlemen.

On another note, I used to hunt sharks teeth in Venice, Florida back in the 70's. I would get up many Sunday mornings and go to the same beach. I found mostly little finds until this one Sunday and I can remember a 'force' telling me to go in a direction. I found a large, beautiful tooth there. It was my best. I've had that directed feeling before but not found anything quite as nice. My third eye doesn't know how to tell me where to find gold in the hills yet.

Mitchel

the old times use to put coins in a crack in the bedrock, they did good in, I've found some good ones that way, Mariposa is built on gold, you will get gold in every creek here, and even the street shoulders, , dirt roads, and in the poison oak patches. Grubstake

Edited by grubstake

Well I am not sure what to call it, but I have this spot I hunt pretty often and as always I walked the same path like I always do going from one spot to the other. As I was walking something all of a sudden guided me to a spot to my left off this trail..to an open area of about 20'x15 square. As I swung my coil over I instantly pulled out a nice little nugget of 7 grams!! It went from thought to nugget within one minute. I swear I checked this spot before. Four hours later...coming down the gulch..another feeling to check left side as I instantly reached in between some brush and swung the coil ..Bam..another 3 gram nugget! One minute later arms reach from the last one..a 5 gram nugget. I cant explain it...so hey maybe something to it..perhaps old miners spirits pushing us to the gold... :yikes:

That seems to happen very frequently ... Some of my best patches have come from some sort of "psychic" tug in areas that simply defy the typical gold bearing signs ... One area like that was hard core basalt bordered by tuff that simply should not have had gold, but it did... a half ouncer and a four DWT slug, and then a beauteous three quarter ouncer speci about a hundred feet away ... here's pix: Oddly enough, there were no dinks or anything else in that spot, but over the hill, in an old drywasher area, I found some one ouncers to one quarter ouncers, plus a few one and two dwt's ... Worked that area to death and eventually totaled a little over 5 ounces... Cheers, Unc

post-9-0-10601000-1380692566_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-25380000-1380692616_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-81547300-1380692664_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-06739700-1380692690_thumb.jpg

Edited by Uncle Ron

My guide is sadistic...usually it's like hey brain, why don't you hike up that imposing mountain off in the distance and then down the other side, and across this 4 miles of ravine riddled, hellishly rended terrain, and here, have an overwhelming feeling that there is a half oz'er in every wash over there to keep you moving. I complete the trek, arrive back at sundown on rubbery, disfuctional legs with maybe a little half grammer to show for it and usually come back to find out someone found a big ole lunker sticking out from under my truck tire.

Now THATS funny! :)

Tom H.

• Like 1

My best nugget came from a sudden thought that just popped into my head to check the ground in front of me as I sat on the tailgate of my SUV in the middle of a dirt road. Call it superstition of what have you but when you get a feeling you either try it out, or regret why you didn't all night long. Haha, unless you found good gold somewhere else?

Paul

• Like 1

Gstake-them chinamen and miners also utilized put back as a way to keep paystreaks going. The size of the coin(numeric value) usually tells ya how good the pay was. I've found 100s a coins stuck in vertical cracks over the years where impossible to be dropped,so cool,I was told as a child to do it too.

Firm believer in beginners luck. When I go mining I switch to auto-don't try to think just go on gut and instinct and follow your nose. After 57+ years folks swear I can smell gold but I just go where I'm supposed to as guided by experience,hunch and a bit a luck I'd imagine too , but we all make our own luck one way or another-John

• Like 2

Yes, it does happen and one time it paid off big for me. I was taken to a well beat patch and was given an experienced pointy finger to hunt a certain area. My inner self kept looking at a spot of exposed bedrock with some obviously shallow ground nearby. It was 75 yards away. I wandered over to that spot and in just a few minutes pulled out a 6 OZ plus lunker!

post-1252-0-25065900-1380814386_thumb.jp

Edited by El Dorado
  • Like 2

Yes, it does happen and one time it paid off big for me. I was taken to a well beat patch and was given an experienced pointy finger to hunt a certain area. My inner self kept looking at a spot of exposed bedrock with some obviously shallow ground nearby. It was 75 yards away. I wandered over to that spot and in just a few minutes pulled out a 6 OZ plus lunker!

:droolin:

I believe THAT would make anybody's day :2drink:

Wow, Steve ... That is nice! ... I think when a person has put some full time energy into the hunt and has an affinity for the gold, certain odd ball attractions happen ... I know I've found myself wandering around in unlikely looking areas and, usually, when it happens, it's a great payday! ... Cheers, Unc (PS...But lots of time I just get to meet new reptilian buddys who chuckle at me, but still share their antpiles! ...)

Edited by Uncle Ron

Unc ... you sure have a strange way of putting weird pictures of you and your reptilian friends into my head. :) ---Mike F