Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Relichunter2

Minelab 18"Mono coil Advice

Hello folks, I just wanted to know if any of you have ever used a large 18" Mono coil. This is my largest coil that I have for my 4500. I am tempted to try it out to see if I can find the deeper larger nuggs. I have put it on once months ago, and noticed how stable the threshold was , although I did not find any gold I was pretty impressed. Any advice would be appreciated..especially your personal settings, I know all sites vary..just want to hear some opinions.

I cannot help with the settings but the 18 inch round mono will go deep and is still very sensitive to smaller, shallow bits. You will still need to overlap your swings and check out any break or repeatable variation in the threshold...some nuggets seem to disappear after you dig them...often, it is because they were oriented in a detectable manner and then are not after being moved...they are still there, in the dirt or in the hole...

fred

Best suggestion for the big coil is to be sure to use as a minimum a bungee to save your shoulder and elbow depending on how you swing it. Settings aren't much different than any other mono coil you would use for the area you are hunting. Just remember the threshold needs to be smooth, steady and even so you can hear the faint deep targets or the small closer targets. Many tend to crank up the RX gain to try to get even more depth only to find the threshold begins to waver wildly. Remember that sometimes ... make that many times ... less is more. If you make your RX gain the second to the last adjustment on your set-up you can usually clear a wobbly or better stated slightly variable threshold with a final adjustment of the Sensitivity setting. On all my set-ups with my 5000 (I know you are using the 4500) I make all my adjustments to other functions of the detector saving the final threshold adjustment to the very end with the RX gain and then the Sensitivity settings as the very last adjustment. By doing that most times I can attain a smooth threshold without appreciable loss of depth. Hope this helps you a bit and puts more of the yellow metal in the poke!

Mike F

Can't help ya with the settings on the 4500, BUT I will tell ya the 18 incher is a beauty 16 18 20 inch coils are great for covering ground and don't be fooled by their size they will get you smaller nuggets at depth also. I have had some really great experiences with these sizes and found some nice nuggets ranging from less than 1/2 gram to 2 1/2 ouncer. I have also dug some bomb craters for junk targets too but it goes with the territory of large coils.
Have fun an Hapy Huntn.

A good coil to have.....treat it like you would any other coil....play with the setting BEFORE you dig to see if another setting would have been better and do the checking at least two different angles.

Have found a 180gr.....182gr six feet further and a 436gr.....all over three feet deep.....and that was with an old SD2000

Fred, Mike, and Frank..thanks for the suggestions! Garimpo, you just got me excited about using this 18" mono more often. Those are some monster nuggs you have found, I am sure you felt like you were diggin to China :Diggin_a_hole: . The place I am hunting is known for multi-ouncers. I am going out tomorrow morning to give it a shot and experiment with the coil. Ohh Mike, yes a bungee a must , I use it all the time. I may soon have to check into the hip-stick , I remember my shoulder was killin me in the evening from swinging that sucker.

What Don (Garimpo) said! The hip stick is a necessary evil for sure with those big coils. Mike F

Yes so true, i am going to grid an area and work it with a small coil first, than spend a couple hour 2-3 with the 18 and a bungee. Off I go.....few more minutes and sun will be up :)

I must tell you...a HIP_STICK is not an evil thing but a gift from the gold-gods...even with small coils it is a wonderful thing...the trick is to get it set-up properly...find someone to go out with that uses a hipstick- many people have them but fail to make good use of them...

fred

Fred ... Just my sick humor with the necessary evil post. They are a great tool ... as you say "when set up properly" ---Mike F

the terrain is not relevant to the function...an adjustable buggie cord such as on Doc's swingy-thingy is helpful...watch the videos and you will have a better idea...

Mike, I know... you are a bad, bad boy....

fred

Well I got skunked again ! Five days out and skunked, the Gold Gods have cursed me... :idunno: .... But I did swing the 18 ' Mono coil. I found it worked very well, I was very surprised how sensitive it was , I was picking up pieces of wire approx. 22 gauge and only a quarter inch long !! I dug this dang deep hole, and all it was, was a small broken end of a square nail. It's a coil I am not going to use often, but I am glad I have it. Its perfect to work ground you cleared of iron..and than scan it with the 18 to ,make sure you got the deep ones not reachable by the smaller coils. Overall a great learning experience for me..we will see what tomorrow brings. A Hip Stick is a must....this will be on my Christmas list....did you hear me Santa?

A Hip-Stick and a Rope Ratchet works wonders on level ground or hilly terrain.....

2013-04-07001.jpg

raise your detector where you want it and then just pull the loose end of the bungee....when you want to lower it just trip the little release button and your detector will be lower where you want it....after working with it you can do a re-adjust in about two seconds.....here's mine I rigged up for the Garrett ATX....

2013-04-01001.jpg

Home Depot has the Rope Ratchet in the tool dept.

Garimpo..looks like you have the set-up! Right now I am using Docs Bungee thingy...works pretty good on the smaller coils. I did notice shoulder strain with the 18 Mono. Many times on on even terrain I am lifting it up and pushing it down to stay level with the ground, so there is constant right shoulder strain by lifting and than resistance pushing to stay level. I am going to follow you suggestion and order me a hip stick too by Christmas ! Thanks for the picture.

RH2 I've been swinging coils for 48 years and I know for sure that body parts wear out just like car parts do.....get that Hip-Stick and save yourself some grief. That ratchet system is pretty stiff at first so maybe a little graphite will do wonders.

I offer this suggestion when setting up the Hip-stick for your Minelab PI...mount it on your harness belt rather than on your waist band/belt. That way it will not rub on your hip and will not push your pants down...I found that I had to order a shorter hip-stick to get it right. I would not give mine back for anything...

fred

Fred ... Correct me if I don't remember correctly but wasn't it you who said they modified their harness with stiffer belt than comes with the ML stock harness. I'm afraid that if I mounted the hipstick on my stock ML harness or even my preferred but no longer available AZO harness that the hipstick would flop around too much. I wish someone, maybe a hint for you Bill S., would build an affordable harness with a good stiff belt not unlike a true web gun belt would be made of ... happy to show you Bill what I mean if interested. I still use the stock ML Lithium-Ion battery for my 5000 ... so I need some sort of harness. After about 8 years of using my current after market harness I have what I feel to be good ideas for a harness that would and could be easily adaptable to those who like a backpack style or a hydro-pak style or a plain harness that just has the fanny pak for the battery. And I have rattled on too long ... Maybe I should just have someone make me one the way I like it locally ... there must be a seamstress who has a heavy commercial grade sewing machine. ---Mike F

Mike and all, if you go to a well stocked Army surplus store you should be able to find everything you need for equipment support around your middle.....

Yes, Mike, I got a much stiffer belt from the surplus store and it works very well...the belt that comes with the stock harness or the azo-harness are way to limp...

If you are at Bills Outing you can see it in person...and my set-up.

fred

I bought a 2" stiff black belt in the tool dept of Home Depot, and it works great for my hip stick. Doesn't move around. Without my hip stick I couldn't hunt more than 30 minutes.

Karl

Ordered one today from nvchris at DetectorAid. Can't wait to try it out. Karl swears by his and has been after me to get one. Now for health reasons I need one. All of the tips and info above are a big help to get me using it correctly.

Thanks

Saginaw

Pfft my website has problems with the paypal buttons.

Till I get it sorted out you'll have to pm me or use my email link on detectoraid.com

It would be simpler if Bill would just stock them again………..

I too love my hip-stick but finding a proper belt is essential. I now use Doc's Swingy-Thingy with his two different pouches and my old GI milspec pistol belt. If I am venturing farther afeild the old milspec load bearing harness and assorted bags/packs fill in. I guess once being trained like a mule the old harness feel right at home.