Nugget Shooter Forums

Went out today

d_day

Went out looking for some rhodonite today. Struck out on that, but I did come across some nice pieces of actinolite to keep around the garden. Also found some large individual crystals that might worthy of faceting. I'll post up some pics a little later.

Those are really cool. I you cut any of the ones you have found? A few of those smaller one look like they have potential for cats-eye stones.

I haven't had a chance. I have very little time for stuff like this. Maybe some day I can retire and devote some real time towards this hobby.

I have never heard of faceted actinolite before. Same with cats eyed stones. Always thought of as a specimen only. Thanks for posting the photos.

I've heard of those things before, but finding individual crystals this large is a first for me. Some of them look pretty fractured so I don't know what I can get out of them but it will be fun finding out.

Edited by d_day

I have never heard of faceted actinolite before. Same with cats eyed stones. Always thought of as a specimen only. Thanks for posting the photos.

Facet grade actinolite is very rare. It is not something you will ever see set in jewelry since it would be more of a collector stone.

Cat's-eye is not common but I wouldn't call it rare. Due to the asbestos content in some actinolite it will have chatoyancy and if you are lucky you can cut a nice cat's-eye stone.

I haven't had a chance. I have very little time for stuff like this. Maybe some day I can retire and devote some real time towards this hobby.

I am in the same boat. I haven't cut anything in a few months due to work. Also no A/C in my shed so I have to wait till the temperature drops. Problem is that once it gets cooler I would rather be out digging.

There's the added bonus of not having much gear. I only have a tumbler and a small combo unit. That makes it tough to work a lot of stuff. I can make some smaller cabs, but if it requires slabbing or faceting I'm out of luck.

I have managed to acquire plenty of equipment but now I have too little space to set everything up. Depending on what I need to do I have to juggle my stuff around. That is only a small inconvenience compared to the heat. The last time I used my big saw the oil was hot enough to fry a turkey.