Nugget Shooter Forums

Franconia find

. Found this small piece about 4 miles up the west side of Franconia 2days ago. Weighs 81/2 grams, full of nickel/iron. Was buried about 2 down. By the way, the road going up the west side is extremely rough to drive, due to all the heavy rains they've had there recently.
Karl

post-25596-0-39894800-1380431914_thumb.jpost-25596-0-12056400-1380431915_thumb.jpost-25596-0-07119000-1380431916_thumb.jpost-25596-0-02364100-1380431917_thumb.j

Congradulations Karl,

Franconia is always a fun spot. Ask Stan about the whopper way up on the west side sometime. Take care and happy hunting.

Dave.

Au Seeker,

I used the default uploader box and loaded in my attachment photos. Instead of the photos showing up, I got the language you see. In my post the actual photos were there when I posted. I'll be happy to send the 4 photos by email if you'd like, or I have them on my Facebook page (Karl Farris).

WTG Karl! You've now scored twice at Franconia. And this find after only a few hours of searching. I'm really happy for you.

Saginaw

Mike...thanks for getting my photos up. Don't know how you did it. If you plan to drive up that west side road, be aware that it is MUCH harder to drive on. Many more big rocks have been exposed by heavy recent rains.

Au Seeker...thanks for moving the photos to my first post.

Fred...GB was a waste of time, due to constant, day and night 40-50 mile winds. Lots of dust, hard to hunt. I left after 3-4 hours of hunting and went to Franconia, where the weather was fine. Road was very hard to drive, but worth it due to my find.

I'm not surprised any more by all the help and advice fellow hunters give me. Glad to be part of a great group of people.

Karl

Aloha Karl,

Nice find you have there. I have quite o few of them that I call "Marbles" cause they look like little marbles I used to have as a kid. They definitely sounded off on my GMT and at first I thought that they might have been either a honker or an iron.

Nice report about the roads too.

Aloha and stay safe out there,

Stan aka Kaimi

Karl,

Good post and good find. Jim and Wendy provide similar ones for Twink's cake in Tucson at the Gem and Mineral Show. I think you would enjoy it.

Now we just have to show you how to find your pictures on your computer so you can post them! :thumbsupanimOne of us will show you how to attach as part of the 'Other Options' and you will not wonder about it again.

You were driving up that road in your car, right? Does it have AWD or 4WD?

I'll always have a fond spot for Franconia and my trip there last October. I'll be out there again in the next few weeks and of course in December. You and everyone else who is coming, could you bring your previous finds? I think it would be interesting to compare and maybe check against Jim's map.

Mitchel

Stan...I never thought about it, but you're right. My piece definitely looks like a marble. And it did make my detector sound off loud.

Mitchel...my picture posting problem is more difficult because I use an ipad, not a computer. iPads are great, but they do have their limits.

I also am fond of going to Franconia, and will again. It's just that this time that road going up the west side was much, much more difficult to drive, due to many recent heavy rains having exposed more of the rather large rocks in the road. I drive a Subaru Forester with AWD, and it can handle rough roads pretty easily, but this time I had my doubts several time while driving up.

I'll definitely bring my recent finds next trip.

Karl

• 3 weeks later...

Nice find!! I've recently moved to a place called Happy Jack AZ. about 37 miles south of Winslow. I'm very new about meteorite hunting. Can you tell me if there is a map somewhere about Franconia? It's not too far from where I live and I would like to try the area.

Thanks,

Desert Hound,

Franconia is a long, long way from Winslow unless you live on the East Coast. Seriously ... you have a place to look for meteorites closer to you at Holbrook, AZ.

There are maps for that from some of us and if you Google 'Franconia' you will get several maps you can look at now. You can also get an 'overlay' that attaches to Google Earth for Franconia.

We'll have an outing at Franconia in the middle of December. If you go to that meeting we'll have maps and people who have been hunting this area for meteorites for over 10 years.

If you really have a need to hunt for meteorites before that then go to the Nugget Shooter outing the first weekend of November. It will be in Gold Basin which has produced more meteorites than gold over the years by weight I suspect.

Mitchel

Desert Hound:

Here is a history of Franconia:

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2005/pdf/1807.pdf#search=%22franconia%20meteorite%22

I did a search and there are 30 official meteorites found within 20 km of the Franconia find. I hope it saves for you here but if it does not ... search by name and then you can add in the desired distance from any find.

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php

You can use that site with Google Earth and see single locations but not a strewn field map because all finds are not reported after the initial classification.

Mitchel

• 3 weeks later...