Nugget Shooter Forums

To Hot for NF Sadie coil

Relichunter2

Well here is my update. I received my new coil the 8x6 Nuggetfinder Mono sadie coil on Friday. The first thing I noticed is how solid it looks, it appears very durable and strong. On Sunday morning I took it out to a spot I always go to as I have found a variety of size nuggs from .3 grams to 10 grams.The ground here is very hot and it changes often. After doing an auto-tune and grounding it out, gain setting at factory preset I set out to see what it can do.The first thing I noticed was how light it was, its a very small coil so I had to make sure I overlapped my sweeps, and had the coil low to the ground sometimes scratching the surface. The next thing was I had no false signals ! I would bump the coil on a rocks and bushes and it stayed quite. The only draw back was that i could not stabilize the threshold, the ground appeared a bit to hot, I had to ground balance the sadie every few feet. This made it very difficult determining if I had a small target or not. I am experience enough to recognize a target but the constant noise from the ground made sweepin slow. I was also chasing sounds what appeared to be a nice soft target but after diggin down I noticed it was only a hot spot as the signal never changed. I reduced my gain to 6-7 range and made other setting changes but could not stabilize it enough. When I changed it out to my 11 " DD stock coil, it hummed like a charm. Perfect threshold sound. I don't regret buying it as it's a very sensitive coil, my test nugget is .4 grains and in a air test would pick it up at 10-11 inches!! So I will use it in more moderate ground conditions. If anyone has any recommendations for settings on this coil I would appreciate it, I am using the M/L4500. I do have to say after testing it that morning with my test nuggets, this little coil is extremely Hot !! For it's size it goes deep and will pick up the small stuff and it's built like a Tank !!

El Dorado, no I did not run it in Enhanced. My front panel settings were as follows. Search Mode General, Soil Timings Normal, Ground Balance Fixed, I tried Tracking same response, and Mono..Back panel, pretty much to factory recommendations. I will give that a try next time, perhaps it will stabilize the threshold. I do like the son of a gun as its extremely hot..it's like a mini coil on Steroids!! :WOW:

Hey 49goldrush, like El Dorado says, try other timing modes, get out of the general mode, try the special mode, or enhance. I have found the nuggetfinder coils can perform better with these timings. If the ground is not to mineralized, I usually hunt in the special, sensitive extra.

Dave

I have been using that coil the last 2 summers in exposed bedrock creeks with hot ground. These coils are hot so they will run a bit noisy.

My setttings on the 4500 are:

Front:

General , Enhance, Fixed tracking, Mono

Back settings:

Vol limit 4 - to save the ears

Motion Slow

Gain 8-11

Audio Normal

Tone 63

Stabalizer 7 or 8

Sig 16

Edited by wes

DolanDave, Wes I will try those settings tomorrow and see if it will quite it down a bit, thanks for the advice! Hey , Adam, I am not known to B.S....well.... maybe once in a while.. :brows: it was not an accurate test but only an air test. And yes 10-11 inches, the nugget was flat as heck and had plenty of surface area. :2mo5pow::2mo5pow::2mo5pow:

Air tests prove absolutely nuttn' as how many nuggets ya ever find in the air?? The units coil and gb capabilities to seek out gold in highly mineralized soil is what ya do and NOT air. Nuttn' but a scam to sell units to folks--and that came from the Great ol' Bud a mine Irwin Lee RIP ol'sod from Fisher detectors, a HONEST factory rep waaaay back in the early 80's. We worked gold shows together at times and mined and he busted soooooooooooooooooo many detector hypers tryn' to sell units use the air test method. What a hoot,what a man,as still lo after all these years miss his humor,logic and temperment much-John

• Like 1

Testing can be tricky because I bring a test nugget with me on hunts and I throw it down to get everything in line on my Lobo before I start to search.. to me it seems I get louder signals from gold I have found in deeper ground than gold in case on surface. I have to swing really close on sample. And I do this just to get that wonderful GOLD tone set in my head for the day. Seems like detecting is a constant learning lesson.. since each environment can be different. The sales man I know does air tests to sell detectors because he doesn't have dirt floor in his showroom but he always tells his customers that there are factors that change the depth and that experience in the field and forum advice are the ways to figure out soil/depth issues. The more I detect and talk about detecting with other detectorists.. the more confident I get and the more gold I get!! Going out today... YAY!

• Like 1

Just want to second what Wes and others are saying,

you need to learn your settings and when to use them.

That is why they are there, so you can dial out hot ground.

The hotter the ground the more using your settings correctly matters.

It will not make much difference what coil you put on, if you are not running the detector correctly.

All the best,

Flak

I appreciate air tests for what they are, because variables are reduced to a minimum and repeatable results are possible. Air tests have their place. Ground halos, differing nugget shapes and differing Au composition ratios make in situ ground recoveries a highly variable experience.

• Like 1

Small monos, like the Sadie are inherently more sensitive to variable hot ground. Small sample, tight windings.

When I'm hunting in nasty hot ground conditions. I'll move to a larger mono ( the Commander 8" then the 11") before resorting to a DD.

In fact when folks inquire about the purchase of a small mono from detectoraid, I'll ask if they own a 8" Commander and if they do I'll then only recommend the Sadie for wet ground.

The stock 11" Commander is a brilliant coil and should be your default choice for 90% of detecting. There is a good reason why ML includes it with every (consumer) PI they sell.

Went out the other day and tried out those settings with the Mono coil, thanks Wes, it made a difference. Klunker..I agree the DD coils have a place up here in the Sierras. There are times I want to work some nasty ground, hot and full of iron and I only have 2-3 hours. I put on my choice coil the Commander 10x5 dd and set the disc to 7 and go at it.