Nugget Shooter Forums

2 Nice G B's

Spent a couple days at the basin this week an fished these 2 from a sloping hillside within about 14 inches of each other, yes they will fit together.
It must have weathered apart over the eons.
A 50 plus and 80 plus grammer still have some nice black fusion crust showing.
The 1/2 gram nugget just "got in the way" while I was detecting :ROFL:
The stuff is still out there. Ya just gotta know where to LOOK :old:

post-562-0-27384600-1379789216_thumb.jpg

Edited by frank c

Frank,

I know the unwritten rule that you never ask another hunter where he made some finds. So I won't. But I'm going to GB next Tuesday for 2 days, and after some 4 trips there with zero finds, I have run out of ideas of what area might be more productive. Fred Mason was good enought to describe one area I've been to twice, and will try again, but I need a new area to try. You mention "hillside" and I haven't spent much time on hillsides, of which there are miles. Just wonder if you would care to point me in some direction. Not looking for "secret" areas, just a tip. Thanks in advance for anything.

Karl

Thanks Frank. I believe there's a GB outing planned in November, and if so I definitely will attend. And I most definitely will look forward to the opportunity to hunt with you. Meanwhile I have two days there to hunt next week, so I'll try several different areas, maybe some time on the hillsides. If I find anything, I'll post it here.

Karl

Hi Fred,

I'll go back to that area Tuesday, and hunt up near and in the low hills. I'll grid some areas and cover them carefully. Your offer to help me at the next group outing is welcomed and accepted. Having Frank along will be great too. I'm really looking forward to that (and I know we all won't have to starve!).

Karl

Spent a couple days at the basin this week an fished these 2 from a sloping hillside within about 14 inches of each other, yes they will fit together.

It must have weathered apart over the eons.

A 50 plus and 80 plus grammer still have some nice black fusion crust showing.

The 1/2 gram nugget just "got in the way" while I was detecting :ROFL:

The stuff is still out there. Ya just gotta know where to LOOK :old:

Frank

Great finds. I can't wait to get back out there when it cools down.

kgmrg aka Richard

Went to GB and found winds 40-50 mile gusts. I tried to persevere, but it was miserable. A now in motel 6 in Kingman trying to get the dirt, grit, dust off. My body. I can handle heat or cold, but wind??? Sucks!!

WTG Karl!! That's the spirit! You tried in spite of the winds. I hate the winds myself, but I still wish I could have been there with you. You're one tough old goat!

Saginaw

High winds mean no flys or knats...put your back to to the wind, your headphones on and keep beeping...staying in the gullies is effective too..

A tip I learned from mark hyde-of Gold prospecting Australia- get some large fluffy socks and slip them over your earcuffs...that will reduce or eliminate the bothersome noise caused by the wind blowing past your headphones. And, as a bonus they will keep your ears from being all sweated up...

fred

Perfect Fred!

A pair of those ladies half socks turned inside out so the nappy texture is against the wind....I saw it done with a microphone outdoors in the wind. Been using them since. They protect the earpieces and volume knobs too.

And they even come in pretty colors for those who like that sort of thing. Mine have some little pink puff balls on the heel like a cheerleader wears.

Fred ... Perfect! I have a couple pairs of old surplus socks from my college ROTC days ... I was part of the Mountain and Cold Weather Rescue Team (aka 'Hilly Chilly' on campus) at Norwich University in Northfield VT ... anyway ... too heavy to wear out here or most places for that matter as they were designed to wear under the artic 'Mickey Mouse' boots that you inflated with air for additional insulation in Artic conditions. I think I will get the Velcro, scissors and needle/thread out for a custom fit! I knew I was saving those socks for something special other than mukluks on these cold tile floors! Thanks again Fred!

Mike F

A few years ago during a cold spring in Glorieta I put a set of headphones inside a thick knit cap. Just tied it in there with yarn. It worked great. The rain was still a problem and I began toying with the idea of integrating headphones into a latex Halloween mask. Either a werewolf or the creature from the black lagoon.

Maybe just get an old wig and make blonde pig tails for each earpiece? Dreadlocks?

Big fake puppy ears??

Big fake Obama ears???

Edited by Bedrock Bob

Karl Freds right about the lil critters. Those 2 days I spent were beautiful mornings and afternoons were warm and the tiny hatchling flys were all over us up yer nose in yer face an eyes and I was using vest mounted speakers so my ears had critters wizzin in em too.
The wind has its benefits without it the heat would be a killer most of the year.
By the time the outings happen it should be really great weather.