Nugget Shooter Forums

Fall west of Wickenburg Wed. Night..........

Yo All ... sitting out on the patio tonight about 8 pm, saw two brilliant flashed due west ... one first then to the right a second later was another equally bright flash heading down about 30 degrees below the first ... Any one else catch it? ... Cheers, Unc

Guess Not Ron! Are you sure you saw what you saw? :):old: You know as we get older the eyesight is the third thing after the memory as the second thing to go and for the life of me I can't remember the first thing that goes! :old::old::old:

Mike F

I have already paid for and gotten the strewnfield plot from the radar data of the Sept 16 23:10 meteorite event. There are three radar sweeps of the event from two different locations, plus three all sky videos showing the incoming object from close by Parker, AZ; then Flagstaff, and Riverside, CA. The meteorite plunged unusually deep into the atmosphere to 18.5 km altitude before reaching dark body flight. There is some ambiguity in the radar sweeps which make the strewnfield problematic. The strewnfield is east of Lake Alamo and west of I-93, north of route 15. My office manager has property with a cabin in the heart of the strewnfield. The area is 2/3 mountainous,1/3 river, and about 1/3 rolling desert. It probably reached about -6 magnitude, possibly -7.

Ron and any other observer:

We still need clearer observer reports of direction of travel and descent to clarify the radar sweeps and refine the strewnfield. There is a lot of desert out there. The terrain will make meteorite recovery difficult.

All:

Unfortunately the radar sweeps and strewnfield plot is proprietary information. I've given you the strewnfield parameters. Hopfully, meteorites will be recovered.

billpeters

Bill Peters ... I went out and checked with my iPhone electronic compass set to true north ... The first flash I saw was at 265 Degrees from downtown Wickenburg, AZ ... Second flash was about 277 degrees and down from the first at about 30 degrees angle ... The height from my vantage point was about 35 - 40 degrees ... Relative position between Lake Alamo and Hwy 93 fits what I saw exactly, but I don't understand the order of Lake Alamo, then Parker, then Flagstaff, then Riverside ... That seems odd ... Anyhow, hope that helps ... Cheers, Unc

Edited by Uncle Ron

I have already paid for and gotten the strewnfield plot from the radar data of the Sept 16 23:10 meteorite event.

I think Ron is talking about a different event (?). He says "yesterday", based on his post, would make the event he witnessed to have happened on 9/17. He also saw it at 8pm (AZ time), but the 9/16 fireball was just after 11pm (AZ time).

Edited by Mikestang

That's right, Mike ... I wondered about that but figured it would get cleared up ... But it's strange that the location he cites is between Lake Alamo and Hwy 93 'cause that's pretty much exactly where the event I saw happened as far as directions of what I observed ... Strange to have a couple events two nights in a row???? ... Cheers, Unc

Hello Ron,

The Parker, AZ allsky cam video Sep 16 23:10 (UT Sep 17 6:10) shows a six second descent with multiple detonations that seems to nearly match your observation. It appears to begin a little northeast of Parker about 37* high heading nearly due east towards Congress with just an ever so slight northward tilt. This would indicate a fairly steep descent, 45-50*. Of course, it is hard to truly judge a fisheye lens video. Your recollection of a flash at 265*, and then 277* thirty degrees lower from downtown Wickenburg matches up pretty well. A do not know the exact location of the Parker allsky cam tower though. The Flagstaff and Riverside allsky cams four second events are both near the respective horizons matching the proper direction for the Monday night event.

On the nights, either you are mistaken on the evening or this is an amazing coincidence.

Keep looking down,

billpeters

This is weird...I posted my observation on here about 2 hours or so after it happened ... I betcha aliens are involved! ... No other explanation fits! ... Although a possible alternate explanation is that Wickenburg often slips into a fourth dimension ... :89: Cheers, Unc

This is weird...I posted my observation on here about 2 hours or so after it happened ... I betcha aliens are involved! ... No other explanation fits! ... Although a possible alternate explanation is that Wickenburg often slips into a fourth dimension ... :89: Cheers, Unc

If Wickenburg doesn't slip into that dimension we know one of its residents does! (Just joking) You have photographic memory. What were you doing the night of the first fall?

Now everyone has said there is an allsky from the first one, will anyone check for the one you saw Ron?

Mitchel

Maybe it skipped off the atmosphere, travelled around the world for 24 hours and reentered at the very same spot. That could happen, couldn't it? :rolleyes:

Would it really be that much of a coincidence if a meteorite was travelling the same general direction as another within a few days time frame? Do these things get trapped in belts that skirt the earth in the same directions and altitudes? Maybe I should read Rocks from space, as its sitting 3 feet from me ..lol

Wish I could be out near Alamo looking for fragments, but I have this frickin job thing ...

Edited by adam

I have already paid for and gotten the strewnfield plot from the radar data of the Sept 16 23:10 meteorite event. There are three radar sweeps of the event from two different locations, plus three all sky videos showing the incoming object from close by Parker, AZ; then Flagstaff, and Riverside, CA. The meteorite plunged unusually deep into the atmosphere to 18.5 km altitude before reaching dark body flight. There is some ambiguity in the radar sweeps which make the strewnfield problematic. The strewnfield is east of Lake Alamo and west of I-93, north of route 15. My office manager has property with a cabin in the heart of the strewnfield. The area is 2/3 mountainous,1/3 river, and about 1/3 rolling desert. It probably reached about -6 magnitude, possibly -7.

Ok, let's compare some notes ...

The 'event' happened on Monday, September 16th at 11:10 PM. This was recorded by many cameras and radar.

Ron, you said:

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:25 PM

Yo All ... sitting out on the patio tonight about 8 pm, saw two brilliant flashed due west ... one first then to the right a second later was another equally bright flash heading down about 30 degrees below the first ... Any one else catch it? ... Cheers, Unc

Then you said:

This means it was two days after the recorded event just shy a few hours so you said you saw yours at 8:25 PM on Wednesday night? There would just be some sunset left to your west or early twilight?

By Wednesday night there would already be campers in that area looking for the first event. Maybe they saw something too on Wednesday?

Mitchel

Here is what they call the original event as AZ 17 Sep 2013 which is only a label but you can see comments from those out in the field.

You have to pay or be a member to get all the details.

http://www.galacticanalytics.com/az-17-sep-2013-0610-utc/