Nugget Shooter Forums

This is why I need a small coil..Sadie 8x6Mono NF on way.

Well went out this morning with the Plati Mono instead of the 5x10dd and got skunked two days in a row :idunno: . I primarily detect extremely rough areas like gulches that have not seen a fire in 50 or so years, making it very tough to swing a coil. I crawl in my fours and find an area I can stand up in than start clearing. I have found this technique works well and I at times find a spot that has never been detected. These are a few I have found in the last month..nothing large but still nice. I should be getting my NF 8x6 Sadie in a few days, in the next few weeks I will give you a report of how wellit works for me. :thumbsupanimpost-26396-0-86247000-1379543064_thumb.jpost-26396-0-09581400-1379543102_thumb.j

post-26396-0-98423700-1379543092_thumb.j

Edited by 49goldrushtradingpost

Don't know if I could do it again, but few years ago, I hunted tighter hill sides than that, but then you're a bit smaller than I and younger! ;-) That's where to hunt!

See ya this winter! somewhere?

Shep

P.S. NF 14E mono did me well in these spots!

Edited by shep

Man that is serious business. No wonder I've only found two specks with my detector. I've gone out a few times with Bob and I'm sure he's just about disgusted with my technique. It probably looks like I'm out there cutting wheat with a sickle. I'm used to the drywasher, where the harder and faster I work the more gold I get if I'm on gold ground. The detector is a totally different pace, and the biggest obstacle for me is being able to focus and slow down enough to do it effectively.

Chris, take this all with a grain of salt or my .02 worth- First be in a gold bearing area, go slow and low, AND! probably most important!- If you're in an area gold has been found before, know it's been worked with a detector pretty hard. BUT! Human nature is go the easiest way- Don't! When working an area, if you see a clear path as opposed to a brushy area next to it, detect the hard way. Might take crawling and cutting away brush, but think you'll do better. Just sayin!

Shep

• Like 1

Drywashing is great, used to go to Randsburg a lot and drywashed at night with lanterns on. Some great times back than. Living in the Sierras I prefer to nugget-hunt for gold. I would agree with you Chris, slow n low as they say. Shep, we will hook up on some Saturdays, sons got soccer till end of October. That's my next buy a NF 14 E, for the open areas, right now I need a more stable small coil. Just love the 5x10 Commander DD coil..found my smallest and largest nugg with and it's ability to disc in the most trashy areas makes it my choice coil these days.

Makes sense to me Shep, especially since everything out here has thorns and spikes on it, I'm sure not too many people have been bush whacking it in there. I haven't proven that theory myself but I've seen bob pull a couple nugs out of pre-detected ground, right up under a big dead bush or ocotillo plant. I think I'm my own worst enemy here and I just really need to slow down. It's the fever working against me. When I've spent an hour detecting I start wigging out and thinking that if I was dry washing atleast I'd have something to show for it. Relic hunter, I would love to do some night dry washing, and avoid the heat on those hot days. I'm kind of ashamed to say this, but I did try that a few months back. But about an hour after the sun went down, it was pitch dark ( I had no lantern ) and I started hearing all these unidentified night noises, rocks falling, sticks breaking, creatures calling. I packed up, got the hell out and came back in the sun light. Pitiful, I know.

Chris, I forgot to mention I had a friend with me...It's more fun going with someone else. When I did go alone, I just drywashed during the day until it got dark. Than I would crawl into my Ford and try to fall asleep, but Dang the desert got so freakin cold at night and constantly wondering if someone would show up in the middle of the night and surprise me. I slept very light, suppose you can say with one eye open and my equalizer next to me.

My last night hunt was last May in an area that had just a few days before been plowed. A little tough to walk but at least no trees or brush to worry about. The ranch is known for a lot of gold and many big nuggets so I was swinging my NF 25" mono. Even with a hip-stick that big monster can put a strain on your back. After four hours I headed for the house about a mile away for some sleep.

Went back just before sunup the next morning and saw panther tracks mixed in with my boot tracks. His/her tracks were about the size of a horses' hoof track. Talked to two prospectors that are camped in that area and they have seen him twice in the early morning hours. Ended my night hunting there!!

Yea I guess a partner is a must on the night runs, the equalizer too! My biggest problem was when the blower was on I couldn't hear anything but that blower, and I have a wild imagination so I was sure a congregation of mountain lions, coyotes, rattle snakes and mutant jackalopes were out there stalking me. Those big cats creep me out because I'm convinced if they were really hunting you you'd never see them until your head was in their mouth.

Chris ... no worry on the big cats ... your head won't be in their mouth but the back of your neck will be and you'll never feel or see a thing. A quick sharp little bite and SNAP ... it is all over! Those teeth are designed to snap the spine very quickly once engaged! Just saying! :old: Mike F

• Like 1

John, That's probably the most reassuring thing you could've said really. Now I no longer have to worry about being dead eye dick with my 9 millimeter. I don't think Annie Oakley could've hit a pouncing cougar with a handgun. Now that I know my fate is sealed if Im ever in that situation I can relax a little. I think.....