Nugget Shooter Forums

Finally....

Nugget Shooter

The Arizona summer and monsoon is almost over and in just a few weeks we will be back in dry weather! Yes still will be toasty, but I am good with hot and dry cause I am not soaking with sweat all day :yesss:

There has been some good rain this year and I am betting there will be some nice funds to show for it.... :old:

Okay was going to start a topic on this and hope you don't mind me asking here..We've had a few flash floods from the few microbursts here that have come thru and was planning on hitting those canyons that have washed out,,Some have left 4ft deep 4-6ft wide ditches, then spread out as the terrain leveled out..My Question is once the flood starts spreading out leaving a V shape and the water seems to slow down that would be the place to start and work my way down the flood plain (I guess thats what it's called) am I thinking right?? I was told there were a couple older guys in one canyon scooping up spots where they saw black sand and putting it in 5 gallon buckets..My area is Hawthorne Nv. and as some of you may know does not hold alot of big gold, but I have seen some nice nuggets from the area..The area the washes have occurred from is known as Walker lane I believe..But is Granite mainly with uplifts and dikes inbetween I'm not a geologist but am still trying to learn. Anyway before I get anymore off track, Am I thinking right starting from the top and working my way down??? sorry just needing advise..

Okay was going to start a topic on this and hope you don't mind me asking here..We've had a few flash floods from the few microbursts here that have come thru and was planning on hitting those canyons that have washed out,,Some have left 4ft deep 4-6ft wide ditches, then spread out as the terrain leveled out..My Question is once the flood starts spreading out leaving a V shape and the water seems to slow down that would be the place to start and work my way down the flood plain (I guess thats what it's called) am I thinking right?? I was told there were a couple older guys in one canyon scooping up spots where they saw black sand and putting it in 5 gallon buckets..My area is Hawthorne Nv. and as some of you may know does not hold alot of big gold, but I have seen some nice nuggets from the area..The area the washes have occurred from is known as Walker lane I believe..But is Granite mainly with uplifts and dikes inbetween I'm not a geologist but am still trying to learn. Anyway before I get anymore off track, Am I thinking right starting from the top and working my way down??? sorry just needing advise..

From what I have learned about aluvial vans and such, (which is basically what your describing on a small scale) Is that the

bigger gold will drop first in the point area to the sides. Then it will get smaller and smaller as it goes downstream.

If I were doing it I would sample with 5 gallon buckets from different areas on the spot your working and then go into the area you get the most gold out of. It can also be in layers in the built up area. If you have a vac. you could also suck up the bedrock and process that.

Hope this helps and Good Luck!

Tom H.

Sklybones,

You are right about some good washes leading down to Walker Lake from Bald MT. I dry washed in some of them back in the days before the current "Claim everything craze" hit , last time I was there a commercial placer operation was going on just before you get to the first camp ground at the north end of the lake on the west side of the highway, Everything claimable more than likely is.

The upper end of the lake is within the Walker river Indian reservation and unless you are a tribal member off limits as is everything from the last camp ground to the south in the Hawthorne Army Depot land . I am sure you know this but some of the members of this forum might not, neither the tribal police nor the Wackenhut depot security have a sense of humor.

Good Luck

Max

PS: There is some beautiful bedrock just west of the highway! :inocent:

Edited by Gilaoro