Nugget Shooter Forums

Two Detectors, Which one to take nugget hunting?

Relichunter2

I was wondering if any of you folks run into the same problem as I do at times. I have three detectors..two for nugget-hunting, one for relics and coins. My gold machines are Tesoro Lobo and a M/L 4500. How many times have you looked at your mds and struggled as to which one to take out on you outing :idunno: . They both have found me gold, one is very light and capable, the other just wicked and able to get the shallow and deep. I guess I will make my decision in less than an hour, this morning I am headed out to do some hunting. :thumbsupanim update you with the results and my decision. Your all invited to guess which one I will choose for the hunt.

G'mornin RH2; I have the same problem. Do I want to dig a big, nasty deep hole for a 1 oz nugget or kick a bit of duff with my toe and pick up a .2grm speck? What's a prospector to do? Are you serious? (I'm not) A large area with exposed bed rock and a history of nothing but tiny gold might change my mind. Best of luck to you.

Take them both ... They each have their own advantages and will maximize your experience. I tend to take 3. I usually have my GPX5000. White's MXT and Fisher Gold Bug Pro ... rarely are all three used in the same day but many times two of three have been used in the same day. However ... unlike Bedrock Bob ... I don't have one in my left hand, one in my right hand and one in the back pack! :) Sorry Bob ... I prefer to carry just the one I am using unless packing into a far out area to which I will pack at least 2. :) :) :)

Mike F

I figure you take the tool for the job. If a placer is known for big gold then go big, no doubt.

Some folks are lucky and live in great gold country. Others are even luckier to have coarse gold to detect. Some placers have lots of detectable gold but no nuggets. Some placers have lots of gold but not one particle large enough to detect in a thousand ounces.

I still debate with myself the effectiveness of a detector in New Mexico. No doubt in certain spots there are nuggets to be found. But most gold here is fine and/or deep. Concentrating in most areas nets more gold than detecting.

Where there are nuggets they are often small and right against the surface. Rarely do you see one over ten grains. A sensitive VLF will get every piece that a PI will in those conditions...possibly more. There are several spots I can't detect any gold with a PI but can do well with a GBII.

Then there are the areas with deep whoppers. Those are very rare in this neck of the woods. When nature produces gold over a certain size then of course the PI's are unbeatable.

So it is all about choosing the right tool for the job and that depends on a lot of factors. The most important of which is particle size potential in an area.

In Klunker's neck of the woods the biggest baddest P.I. would be my daily driver for sure. No doubt about that.

Here you can hunt for days to find a pennyweight with a PI and still not find one a GBII would not get. That goes for 99.99% of acreage in any placer in the state. And in a whole lot of areas you will simply never find a nugget but can do several grams a day in fine gold with a concentrator.

So match your tool to the job and your hunting style to the tool.

Edited by Bedrock Bob
  • Like 1

That's a very good question...1st i would weigh them on a scale...the lightest one wins....lol

Glad we don't have to make decisions like that here in East Texas....phewwwwwwwww

Edited by Rimshot

I usually only bring one my 5000 :head: In the past I have brought a couple and after swinging the gpx first then a noisy ass no depth at all vlf I quickly switch back to my smooth deeper beeper Gpx 5000-so I would say the hell with the rest use the 4500 :4chsmu1: Mike C... :200:

• Like 1

Yup, like everyone else says take em both, but if you know the area you are going to hunt, say its shallow bedrock only, take the vlf, and vice versa for the Minelab.

Dave.

Yup I'm with Mike and Dave,

take the Minelab 5000 (or in your case 4500).

With the right coil selection and a ML 5000 you will be encompassing 90+%

of what the other detectors in an arsenal will give you.

This is an opinion of course, but I have never found myself wishing for another detector

since I have owned a 5000 and a few NF coils and I felt almost the same way when I owned a 4500.

Hey guys....well this is what I did. Since the spot I am going to is a bit of a hike I decided to invite a very good friend of mine who used the Lobo and I used the 4500. This way I have a buddy along to share the experience. Of course I thought I had the advantage with the 4500 in this situation but by gosh...she found a nice .6 gram nugget a few inches deep after about 45 minutes of beepin :ya: . I went along and cleared so more brush and manzanita bush to uncover some virgin ground to detect, usually takes me 10-15 minutes to clear, than I would sweep slow and low like you guys suggested. A few minutes later I swept my 8" Commander Mono coil near the trunk of a manzanita tree and got a nice signal.. :brows: diggin into the side deeper and deeper the signal got louder..down about 5 inches comes out this nice little 2.8 gram nugg with just a little quartz on it :ya: . It made my day we both found our nugget today, one with the vlf and one with the 4500. When I get the pictures I will post them for you all to see.

Just like guns I prefer at least 2 at a time, I much prefer my Lobo and GB2 for what I need to do but when relics/coins/high trash areas that antique Golden Sabre with notch disc and DD coil rocks that world just fine-congrats,lookn' fer pics-John

Shep..I have had the best luck with the smaller coils in the terrain we deal with in out parts. The 8 Mono Round works very well, but not as stable as my favorite Commander 10x5 dd. In my arsenal of coils these are the two I use most to get between the tight spots. I am itching for a NF coil, I saw a video posted by nvChris using a small NF coil and it performed very well, even banging the heck out of it against rocks with no false signals. Maybe by Christmas Santa will get word I was a good guy this year and send one down the chimney. Heading out with the 10x5 dd today in a trashy area..maybe I'll get lucky.. :head: if some of you have not noticed...I am also 49goldrushtradingpost..hope that's okey. By accident I logged on my computer at work years ago..with one name, than did it again on my home computer with another.

Edited by Relichunter2

This weeks been good for me..went out Wednesday and found the 2.7 gram nugget. Today I went out on a club outing and found a nice little one, 1.2 gram piece with the 10x5 commander dd. My friend found a little bitty .4 gram piece with the Lobo. I will put on the platapus coil for Sundays hunt, I have had some luck with this one too...but still dreamin for a NF coil. :)

post-22658-0-44282600-1379126954_thumb.j