Nugget Shooter Forums

book recommendation, "Deep Enough" by Frank Crampton

cochetopa

I finished reading this book, Deep Enough, by Frank A. Crampton, and want to recommend it to everyone on this forum who shares an interest in western mining and prospecting.

http://www.amazon.com/Deep-Enough-Working-Stiff-Western/dp/0806125292

It is a first hand account of late 1800s and early 1900s mining and not something that a historian just cobbled together from research in a library or from old newspaper files. The author’s earthy sense of humor makes the reading especially enjoyable, too.

For the benefit of everyone living in Wickenburg, AZ, Frank Crampton spent a lot of time there and mentions several place names and mines where he worked.

Finally, Crampton doesn’t think much of most lost mine stories. However, he was personally involved in one such episode and helped bury the discoverer and saw the high grade silver ore that had been removed from the prospect. Go directly to the chapter entitled, “Skeletons in a Cabin”. Later in the book, Crampton mentions his friends looked for the deposit but never found it. No one else made the location to the author’s knowledge, as well. The events occurred in central NV, the Eureka-Hamilton-Cherry Creek region.

I rate the book 5/5 stars. Hope you get yourselves a copy and enjoy it as much as I did.

-C

cochetopa,

I have read it several times and prospected the Cherry Creek area. Lots of private property and I am sure more claims than when I was there.

It is a very intriguing book, the Wickenburg library had a copy before they closed.

Here is a good one too: " True stories about real miners and real people" by Harvey S, Bellim , you won't believe the cover picture!

Max

cochetopa,

Here is a good one too: " True stories about real miners and real people" by Harvey S, Bellim , you won't believe the cover picture!

Max

Thanks, Max. I have ordered it. Yes, the cover page photo is very impressive. Never seen that before.

http://www.amazon.com/True-Stories-Mines-Miners-People/dp/1453629467/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

-C/Jim

cochetopa,

There is another real good book about the California gold rush but I can't find it now, my copy burned but I think the title was something like: "We'll all go home in the spring."

it was true stories and letters from those days and gave exact locations that they prospected and then moved on to another spot, very interesting and I had always planed to make it one of my trips.

There is another book that is a true story that I can't member he title or locate it, it was about a discovery in Nevada, I as titled something like" Last wagon to Battle Mountain" or something similar, it was a man and wife moving to Nevada using a wagon long after the wagon train years had passed and making a huge discovery of ore by accident. maybe you can locate it.

Max

cochetopa,

There is another book that is a true story that I can't member he title or locate it, it was about a discovery in Nevada, I as titled something like" Last wagon to Battle Mountain" or something similar, it was a man and wife moving to Nevada using a wagon long after the wagon train years had passed and making a huge discovery of ore by accident. maybe you can locate it.

Max

Max,

This must be it: http://www.amazon.com/Last-Battle-Mountain-Walt-Wilhelm/dp/0688019692

I'll put it on order, too. Thanks tons.

Jim

That it! Amazing story, makes you want to hit the road! Very exciting and a true story, I think its better than "Beans & Bacon from a gold pan" but not near as highly rated.

You will love it!

Max

Max,

This must be it: http://www.amazon.com/Last-Battle-Mountain-Walt-Wilhelm/dp/0688019692

I'll put it on order, too. Thanks tons.

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

Here is another good book on mining in the past: Author: Inglis Fletcher . Title: PAY, PACK, and FOLLOW. The story of My Life. Autobiography ,

Publish by Henry Holt & Co. Lib of Congress # 59-8523, 1959.

This one may be hard to find, I scored mine in a thrift shop, it has the original dust jacket and is a first edition (probably the only one) and was a discard form the Duncan, AZ library.

A newer book is " Sourdoughs, Claim Jumpers and Dry Gulchers " by Matthew P. Mayo , 50 stories of historical events. 2 DOT Press.

Max

FOund some excerpts from the book- heck you can read most of it online( roughy counted 80 pages) . I think a few of the first chapters aren't shown, but the "skeletons" chapter is there and many pictures

http://books.google.com/books?id=8TQG3zW_2pIC&pg=PA164&lpg=PA164&dq=Skeletons+in+a+Cabin&source=bl&ots=0VcnOskha7&sig=BhHfGFS3SGRK1ccgjwgpQLoBsM4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=JZRVUqGpLcqaqgHnr4HgDg&ved=0CC4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Skeletons%20in%20a%20Cabin&f=false