Nugget Shooter Forums

Hebrew gold

Israeli archaeologist uncovers ancient treasure trove

Hebrewgold.jpg

JERUSALEM – An Israeli archaeologist says she has uncovered a rare trove of ancient coins and medallions near Jerusalem's Temple Mount.

Eilat Mazar of Jerusalem's Hebrew University says among the finds are jewelry and a gold medallion with the Jewish menorah symbol etched into it. Other findings include items with additional Jewish symbols such as a ram's horn and a Torah scroll.

Mazar said Monday the objects can be dated to the seventh century. She said the treasure was discovered in a ruined Byzantine public structure a mere 50 meters (yards) from the southern wall of the hilltop compound revered by Jews as the Temple Mount -- where the two biblical Jewish Temples once stood.

The site is also considered holy by Muslims who call it the Haram as-Sharif, or Noble Sanctuary.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/09/09/israeli-archaeologist-uncovers-ancient-treasure-trove/#ixzz2ePn9U15G

Man! I wish treasures like this could be found in New Mexico/Arizona! The ancient historical side of finds like this adds a whole other dimension of satisfaction to treasure hunting that you just can't have with finds here. Still enjoy it, but digging up history would add so much more to it.

It's hard to imagine the history of this gold. Who made it? Who owned it? How did it get to where it was found?

Neat stuff!

Man! I wish treasures like this could be found in New Mexico/Arizona! The ancient historical side of finds like this adds a whole other dimension of satisfaction to treasure hunting that you just can't have with finds here. Still enjoy it, but digging up history would add so much more to it.

There are Treasures dating back to the 1500's here and Arizona some place. Only Tid Bits have been found here around me but found. Armor, Gold Cross, Just above a Rock Structure claimed to be a two story rock and adobe structure. That place is hard to hunt. A Mojave Snake under every tenth rock, Dore bars but it shows they was here. I can show you a Rock over hang in the Florida Mountains with Charcoal writing in the inside lip of it stating 1517 and a JB initials for a Name. Just above that up the hill is a Audit of Silver Sulphide good for 4 oz per ton as I checked. No one will work it because it's a National Protected area now. They moved in Iranian Ibex and placed the Stamp on it.

That mountain has significance for the Spanish , it's face of it looks like a Dragon back . They would by pass El Paso del Norte on the route to Santa Fe And the now known as Silver city area. There are all sorts of Arista's up in the PA Area.

At the time the Apache loved the Spaniards even less then they loved the White Folks. They lost a pile of folks to the Inians protecting there ground.

Due to the Heat, Lack of Water they ditched the Armor and stuff they could do better without. That was just on the way North. On the way back they Had found some goodies and Still getting beat up by the Indians the lost there asses. Horses was taken, Mules, Donkey's lost the ability to cart the goods back to Mexico City. They Stashed it some place. If they came back this way it's in the Trease hermans mtns or Florida. The Three Sister mtns has a pile of old Spanish working and Did Produce some Silver and a bit of Gold. Not Much but Some.

Edited by homefire

HI HomeFire.

This is neat stuff. Spanish treasures are indeed to be found in this area, like you said, some place. I'd love to find some spanish armor or coins.

Saginaw

Spanish stuff is all over around Santa Fe. I hit several spots where there was old iron stuff. One spot had parts to an oxcart, a bunch of badly rusted ox shoes and hammer forged harness parts. I found a couple of old nose rings,a crucifix medallion, a spur and a crazy old lock that looks like it went to an old sea chest.

In the south artifacts are scarce from the Spaniards...just not much activity. Above La Bajada and west of Las Vegas it is all over the place.