Nugget Shooter Forums

New Garrett ATX Pulse Induction Unit

Terry Soloman

I really like what I see so far, but would sure like to see some pro reviews in mineralized AZ ground... I particularly like how compact it is ... Anyone know if there are any reviews of experienced users out there? .... Cheers, Unc

The dealer has one that I saw the first part of this week....he was bragging how it will beat the Minelab's finding small nuggets so I invited him to try to find more in my patch just 7 miles from his shop but he hasn't shown up yet for the challenge.

It is a big and heavy machine but I couldn't find a way to hook it up to a hip stick....probably have to visit the hardware store and do some Brazilian engineering.....I think he said Garrett reps will be here next week or the next. In the mean time I'll try to get some hands on testing.

While searching for some pictures of the Garrett ATX Pulse Induction Unit, i stumbled on a link that shows you how to make your on PI detector...many versions of it with all the peeps that made them...I like the ones made out i think 3/4 pvc pipe with a frisbee where you mount the coil...pretty cool!!! But some lacked appearance...not pretty at all...haha!

Rimshot,

I made my first metal detector back in the 1950's from plans in a Popular Mechanics Magazine or Mechanic's Illustrated , I can't remember which, You wound the coil in an oatmeal box lid and the transmitter was a Transistor radio, mounted on a broom stick, you tuned the radio to a null, then when you got close to metal it would start to "Motor boat".

My second metal detector was a WW2 mine detector made by Boluva Watch Co., it was in a round brass can, heavy, and used 67 1/2 volt dry cell batteries, it was not any better than my homemade one.

Then I met a guy with a Whites 64T, it was the first Whites that used transistors rather than vacuum tubes, after seeing his finds I could not wait to buy one so I borrowed the money from Household Finance Co. and drove from Mobile, AL to Houston, TX to buy one from Bill Alexander who last time I checked was still in business. I was an E-4 in the USCG and it took a long time to pay it off in Mobile but when I got back to Texas one of the first things I found was a Mills 25 cent slot machine with all the money still in it and the newest 25 cent piece was 1925. That machine paid for itself many time over including a $6000 Diamond ring among the dozens of others.

I have had just about one of every MD made excepts Garrett's and I knew him personally and we didn't get along. I have found the most stuff including gold with The Tesoro Lobo ST.

Now I just got a ML CTX3030 from Bill and I am shortly going back to some of those Iron cluttered spots and see what I missed! A few of them are on private property that only I have hunted on. On one of them I found a Civil war hand grenade, I didn't even know what it was and it was live! One of my other exciting finds was 3 cases of dynamite that had been stolen and buried, it was in wood cases with brass straps. The army explosives team from Fort Polk , LA took one look, turned pale and very gingerly walked away, they said they didn't know how come it didn't go off when I hit it with my shovel but when they detonated it in place it blew a hole that had to be refilled with a backhoe and stripped the leaves off of Oak trees, needless to say I couldn't detect there anymore!

Good Luck with your Garrett's

Max!

• Like 1

Rimshot,

I made my first metal detector back in the 1950's from plans in a Popular Mechanics Magazine or Mechanic's Illustrated , I can't remember which, You wound the coil in an oatmeal box lid and the transmitter was a Transistor radio, mounted on a broom stick, you tuned the radio to a null, then when you got close to metal it would start to "Motor boat".

My second metal detector was a WW2 mine detector made by Boluva Watch Co., it was in a round brass can, heavy, and used 67 1/2 volt dry cell batteries, it was not any better than my homemade one.

Then I met a guy with a Whites 64T, it was the first Whites that used transistors rather than vacuum tubes, after seeing his finds I could not wait to buy one so I borrowed the money from Household Finance Co. and drove from Mobile, AL to Houston, TX to buy one from Bill Alexander who last time I checked was still in business. I was an E-4 in the USCG and it took a long time to pay it off in Mobile but when I got back to Texas one of the first things I found was a Mills 25 cent slot machine with all the money still in it and the newest 25 cent piece was 1925. That machine paid for itself many time over including a $6000 Diamond ring among the dozens of others.

I have had just about one of every MD made excepts Garrett's and I knew him personally and we didn't get along. I have found the most stuff including gold with The Tesoro Lobo ST.

Now I just got a ML CTX3030 from Bill and I am shortly going back to some of those Iron cluttered spots and see what I missed! A few of them are on private property that only I have hunted on. On one of them I found a Civil war hand grenade, I didn't even know what it was and it was live! One of my other exciting finds was 3 cases of dynamite that had been stolen and buried, it was in wood cases with brass straps. The army explosives team from Fort Polk , LA took one look, turned pale and very gingerly walked away, they said they didn't know how come it didn't go off when I hit it with my shovel but when they detonated it in place it blew a hole that had to be refilled with a backhoe and stripped the leaves off of Oak trees, needless to say I couldn't detect there anymore!

Good Luck with your Garrett's

Max!

:goodpost:

Klunker,

Them things are dangerous, I had a hard time educating my wife when we first came west to not pick them up when detecting If they have been laying with the open end down they can last for a 100 years, the newer electric caps are even more dangerous, just because it didn't go off with electricity don't mean its dead! Yep your pick would be the least of your worries. The last tin box I found was in Baja sitting just out of sight on an overhead timber near the entrance of a tunnel, I had previously found carbide lamps in such spots, these still had the label on them from the 1930's. We dropped them into a deep vertical shaft and threw a big rock after them, bats flew out for 10 minutes!

Max

No Max....im talking about this one...

How did it work?

2,495 bucks ...I will just wait and see like the rest of you...I have to admit though, it does get me excited if it's all it claims to be. But on the other hand my M/L 4500 sniffs the small sub grain gold. Just found one the other day .3 grains with my 10x5 Commander coil dd. This may be a good back up detector on the other hand. :brows:

Well guys , My Birthday is coming up here on September 11th. Any one that has that kind of money in the Piggy Bank and has nothing to do with it can buy me one. I promise a Full Report on the animal. Hot Rocks, Nugget Size, even the Tot Lot finds. LOL Way more money then this boy has.

I'm just talking here, but if Bill says he didn't like the other one then i don't like this one because it says it runs at the same pulse rate as the other one...did that make sense????? But i do like the looks all compact...pretty cool!

Had one in my hands just last week....the shaft looks like a green 2" PVC pipe.....I was more impressed with the shaft of the CTX 3030, don't know how strong this one is....the entire unit looks good but a bit heavy, a must for the hip stick. I liked the re-chargeable batteries where it's not necessary to take the batteries out to charge them.....

A gold machine that you take to the beach and when back at the house just lean it up against a wall and hose it down with water to get the salt and sand off.

The Garrett propaganda team is supposed to be here this week so maybe I'll get some hands on.....let you know how that works out....I'll be testing it with the two .2 gram nuggets I found last week with my 4000....