Nugget Shooter Forums

Hello everyone!

Could you guy's spare some experince and knowledge and tell me if in fact this is sugarloaf quartz and gold?

I've done all of the home tests. It goes off under a metal detector, not magnetic , leaves a gold streak, sinks fast when put in water and is really soft.

The boulders fit the description of sugarloaf quartz when smashed.

Some of them have a rusty iron stain colour.

Looking forward to your responses 1

What happens when you take the very tip of your knife and pick it into the metallic looking areas ??? does it sink in or scratch or flake off some of it ???
Looks like salt an pepper to me, and it looks like maybe electrum an some gold too :thumbsupanim
Let us know how you make out with it.

Frank c- when I stick my metal pick into a piece it goes directly into the matter. On the really thin flakes when I stick the pick into it an indentation is made and on the other side a nipple forms.

Boulder dash- what makes you say that?

Here's some small thin flakes and dust with black sands.

The 2nd photo is right after I added water and the 3rd photo is all of it collected one second after swirling the water. Isn't mica much less dense and wouldn't act In such way?

post-26893-0-05269500-1378483248_thumb.j

post-26893-0-45334800-1378483328_thumb.j

post-26893-0-21658400-1378483521_thumb.j

Mmaster 89

I was in kind of a hurry when I made my previous post. Your rock is pegmatite with some

iron pyrite . Iron pyrite is more brass or gold colored than arsenopyrite. It will also make a

greyish yellow streak with a streak test. There could also be some mica in your rocks too.

Photos are a tough way to make a positive identification ,but your photos sure look like

pyrite in pegmatite.

Sawmill-

You're right I did some reading on pegamite and I'm pretty sure that's what I have here.

I will post more pictures here in a bit that are more clear.

I was reading that they are possible hosts for other rare earths.

I found some little red and yellow possible gemstones I think?

I'm new to all this sorry for the rookie questions!

When I post the pictures could help me identify what I have.

Thanks!

Mmaster89

I have a dike of that same stuff on one of my claims. Don't feel bad ,all of us has been

fooled a time or three ourselves. Look for where that pegmatite intersects or makes a

contact with another dike and you might be looking at some real gold.

Sawmill-

With very light pressure I'm able to scratch off little slivers of the material with my fingernail.

So that would rule out the pyrite right?

I know you said mica can bend but would you be able to scratch at it and with a pen, poke it to where it makes a dent on the other side?

post-26893-0-63128600-1378635393_thumb.j

Mmasters89

Yes mica is very flexible,and will scratch or dent with a pin. It will peel off in thin layers,

or pieces. Mica can be stained or coated with other minerals in several colors. Pegmatite

is a host rock for mica too. No that doesn't rule out some pyrite or arsonopyrite as in a

coating or stain. Most likely the coating or stain is from iron oxides.

Mmasters 89

I need to correct something from a previous post,since I can't get a rise from Dave. :grr01:

Pyrite makes a greenish black streak not yellow. :brows: There is several types of mica your

mica looks like biotite. Here is the kicker ,mica leaves a clear streak ,if your sample is

large enough . A small sample would crumble in bits in the pores of your streak plate and

give a false streak,as it would be just bits of the colored sample as in rust. Gold would smear

and actually stick to the streak plate.

Biotite can form rounded edges and looks just like a clump of metal in a rock. It can be

silver white to gold colored depending on the mineral content. Biotite is real soft and flexible

and will dent with a pin if the flake is thin. It can also look like pyrite,or arsonopyrite in a rock.

If you want to test for gold ,it is real easy,but you need a little hydrochloric and nitric acid, a

a couple test tubes ,spot plate or filter paper and a bit of tin solder. Since you are in California

I know a place there where you can get the acid. If you don't want to mess with acid and still

want to do a test,just send a small sample and I will test it for you. I have all the stuff and it

would only take a few minutes.

• 1 month later...

Getting into this discussion a bit late but hadn't logged on in a while. I know some folks are saying typical granite but those photos look like it may be more likely what is called a diorite which would be mostly feldspar (and the feldspar can be fine grained not the typical blocky crystals), biotite, hornblende and pyroxene and actually very little quartz. Diorite sometimes does contain sulfides. IMHO. As we all know it is always tough to do geology by pictures.

Edited by alabama