Nugget Shooter Forums

Last Stand Lake

Ok things have changed for the better. As most of you know I have been in the process of naming a dry lake in nevada where I recovered my Area 51 stone it had looked like a bust after two years of wrangling with the nevada board on state names. It was approved on the last meeting then just after the meeting the duckwater tribe of Indians stated they did not approve of the name which sent the name into limbo again. Well today I got an Email from the board and I think I got the name. Still have to wait for the meeting on sep 10th for the word. Here is what I got.

Hello Bryan,

I can't believe it. The stars were aligned today. Please disregard my last e-mail. I received a letter from the Duckwater Tribe today. They could not decide on a different name and decided that Last Stand Lake was acceptable. Hurray!!!! I will scan this letter soon and copy it to you.

Jack Hursh

Exec. Sec.

Nevada State Board on Geographic Names

Right now all I can say is Yahoo !!!!!!!!

Bryan.

Bryan,

Congrats on getting that dry lake named, I was stumped when I found a meteorite there, but could not find the name of the lake.

Here is the piece I found there in May.

Dave.

post-1046-0-11500000-1378349247_thumb.jp

Well the way it works on naming is that the state naming board all local governments and state agency's and for the most part they all have to agree on the name. For awhile there I thought I was shot down. Last Stand was the second name I submitted as Bear Paw was rejected by the BLM. A lot of red tape.

Dave that one looks very much like bobs and the others they all said mine looks to be from a different fall ???

Brian,

Nice find, yes I agree a different fall, yours looks like a newer fall, as mine looks a lot older.

Fred,

That might just be dirt from the dry lake bed ??? Need to see a better close up.

Dave.

Ok things have changed for the better. As most of you know I have been in the process of naming a dry lake in nevada where I recovered my Area 51 stone it had looked like a bust after two years of wrangling with the nevada board on state names. It was approved on the last meeting then just after the meeting the duckwater tribe of Indians stated they did not approve of the name which sent the name into limbo again. Well today I got an Email from the board and I think I got the name. Still have to wait for the meeting on sep 10th for the word. Here is what I got.

Hello Bryan,

I can't believe it. The stars were aligned today. Please disregard my last e-mail. I received a letter from the Duckwater Tribe today. They could not decide on a different name and decided that Last Stand Lake was acceptable. Hurray!!!! I will scan this letter soon and copy it to you.

Jack Hurrahs

Exec. Sec.

Nevada State Board on Geographic Names

Right now all I can say is Yahoo !!!!!!!!

Bryan.

Congrats Bryan

It seems hard work and persistence pays off. :party-smiley-027[1]:

kgmrg AKA Richard

So since you got to name the dry lake does that mean the finds will be named "Last Chance"???

...Surely not "Area 51"...

Those are awesome finds. I guess I am way behind the curve. The spot has produced two new finds that are soon to be classified?

Indulge us a bit on your quest for classification if you would please. It sounds like a heck of a story in which naming a dry lake is just a chapter.

For two years I have said very little about my quest. But here it go', two years ago June I was invited to join three friends on a lake north of rachel nevada. It had been on my list for awhile but its a long way from home. I was told there was already three stones found so long story short I went and on the last day found a 35.4 gram meteorite. So as we were talking that night we all desided that a name was in order so when I got home I submitted forms for the name Bear Paw dry lake it was reviewed by the Nevada BGN and after a year or meetings (2) the local BLM stated they did not agree with that name. So with the help of the Exec. Sec.

Nevada State Board on Geographic Names I re submitted as last stand lake which after two meetings was passed but just days after being passed the BGN got a letter form the areas local tribe saying they did not agree to the name. So they were givin to the next meeting to come up with and submitt a name of their liking. The BGN got a letter from them about two weeks ago stating they now supported the name. It went back in front of the board yesterday the 10th for the official approval then it it is again approved it moves on to tube USBGN for federal approval which I was told by Jack is for the most part a technicality as 99% of state approved submissions are approved. You know I did it for three reasons. 1. Because our find needed a name. 2. This beautiful place needed a name. 3. I just wanted to see if it could be done. It is already being looked at by NomCom as a DCA it is just unclear if the lake name will be official in time for the naming of the DCA. And the original finders and myself have held off on classifying tell we know what was going on with the name. But in the last year four more have been found and the wheels started turning with NomCom there still may be a small chance for the DCA being last stand but I'm good anyway it go's I've learned a lot in the last two years. DARE TO FAIL.

Boy that was a book 8-0-

Bryan