Nugget Shooter Forums

Mule Wanted

Bedrock Bob

Good stable pack mule wanted. Must have gentle disposition and at least four years old. Small stature not over eleven hands preferred.

If you can pack or can be trained to pack, have sound dark hooves and pretty knees hit me up! I don't mind the smell so if you are extremely pungent don't be afraid to respond!

Friends first and we will go from there. Mules who are looking for a quick good time need not reply.

BB has still got it! that was just plain funny!!

Man Skip, that ..."thing" was rather freakey, I'd have nightmares that it was chasing me!

It is so nice to know that your buds are looking out for you....

Honestly I am looking for a mule. Not one to ride but to pack. My back is getting bad and the wilderness is just to big to pack gear, deer, elk etc. etc. If I don't get a mule I am soon going to be limited to day trips within a few miles of the trailhead. And what better to carry your prospecting gear.

So talking mules are very bright and mechanical mules are just...well...wrong on so many levels. But a nice jenny to walk along with me and tote my stoff will really extend my range.

...my dogs both carry little packs but I can't figure out how to lash my drywasher to the labrador..

Edited by Bedrock Bob

BLM let's you adopt burros for a fee. Another avenue is a "wether". A big castrated goat. Get a big one (200 pounds) and he will carry 50 pounds. They stay close when you camp and can forage a large amount of their food just from the immediate area.

Edited by paratrooper

Umm...A burro is not a mule and wild burros don't pack. Sorry. There is no substitute for a good mule. You will spend half a decade training a wild burro to pack.

Who the heck wants to pack a goat? Alpacas are ornery enough but pack well. A goat???

Nope. A sweet little jenny with a calm attitude that nobody has ever "cowboy'd" is a great friend and superior animal. A good mule is twice the price of an equal horse and worth every cent. A wild burro might make a tollerable pet. A goat makes a killer burrito.

Mules eat half of what a horse does and can get by well on most forage even if they are used to hay. About ten percent of your freight needs to be grain if they change diet suddenly.

...A goat??? ... Put my stuff on a goat???

A mule is one intuitive animal. Smarter than a horse and more loveable too when you bond a little.

Packing a freaking goat in the high country?? I can't get that thought from my mind. I feel dirty all over.... that is just sick and wrong! I suddenly feel the need to shower.

I know you guys mean well and all but we got a big mouth donkey, a robotic grasshopper and now Paratrooper is trying to hook me up with a goat! What the heck is the world coming too??

Edited by Bedrock Bob

Well... in trying to help I found this, a good age, needs exposure, experience, and training to pack, probably breaking to a trailer also, and you'll probably have to travel a ways to pick her up, but seems a fair price, given what you seem to experience, cost wise.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/grd/4050244840.html

Greg

Here's another to your East,

http://nacogdoches.craigslist.org/grd/4018371604.html

Edited by AuTSaurus

Thanks Greg!

That L.A. mule is a looker but she is tall. Packing her would be a lot of work. And besides those California mules are very materialistic and spend most of their time on the cell phone and doing their hooves.

The johnny mule from Texas is a solid animal and experienced. He is a riding mule and you know how egocentric Texans are... If I put a pack saddle and panniers on him he would resent it. And no matter where we went he would always be braying about Texas and how great it is etc. etc. etc. Besides he is a bit long in the tooth and would be set in his ways. A younger mule will adapt to the high country and pack life better than a mule who has a long trail in the flatlands behind him.

It is a wonderful gesture Greg! One of these days soon I will find one. I am headed back up to Pecos for a hunt next week and will see hundreds along the trails and at the trail head campground. Many are outstanding animals and I may shake a deal with one of those Missouri mule traders that come to the mountain in the fall.

Well Bob those are some hard facts you have stated ...But I think you should still go with the 1st one posted here.

Ya know the way I see it you'd be better off with one that talks back to ya :2mo5pow::yesss:

That is the problem with a lot of mules these days... the uppity attitude.

It is strange that when I look at my matches on e-harmony I get the same three matches... a talking mule, a giant robotic chigger and a goat....

Edited by Bedrock Bob

Wife had some goats for a while. We had one named Sid. I took him out about three times. Big old Nubian. He could carry me around the yard at the time I was 150lb. I packed him up with about 75lbs and did a few 1/2mile stents. Didn't even need a lead. He would just follow me. When we got to the spot. At night I tethered him close to where I was sleeping just to keep a Eye on him. Durring the day I cut him free and never wondered more then a hundred yards from us. If I wanted him back all I had to do was tink a beer can on a rock. The Fool Loved his beer. Every time I opened one he would end up with half. We lost him during a bitter cold winter. Could have gotten a few more years out of him if we gave him a blanket the one night. He was a Old Goat. 19 when we lost him. I have A Dog That can and has carried 4olb of goods. He has to be fed meat and takes more water then the Goat. All he carries is his own goods. ALpo , High Protien food and a jug or two of water that we share. He Gets all fired up when he sees a Rabbit or Deer and I have to spend more then some time chasing him down.

My thinking is Goat need a hell of a lot less attention then a Horse or Mule. They eat off the land and need a pile less water then anything else. Nannies can pack but only about 1/2 what a billy . Sid was a whole Goat, still had his equipment and never got nasty on you like some can. We had a Alpine Billy that tried to DeNutt me with his horns ripping my pant from the crotch down the leg. Old Sid was a Easy going dude. All he ever asked for was a Scratch between the Horns while he was drinking Your Beer..

Edited by homefire

Hey Newriverblake, no problem at all!

I have never seen so many flatlanders suggest a goat as a pack animal. What a hoot. I am not sure if. you are being goofy or actually believe a goat would be a suitable choice. I guess for a lot of guys this is brand new territory.

I could go in to the reasons like they can carry no weight, have cloven hooves and are first tier bear food but I won't. I will just point out that for abiut 500 years they have been the choice of every mountain man, packer,prospector and freighter. Suggesting a goat would be equal to a mule would be like suggesting a forked stick is equal to a PI detector.

Next week we are headed to the trailhead where there are hundreds of mules (and not a single goat) packing the length of the wilderness and servicing several hundred hunters with all their gear. Some pull 2 Round trips per day to outposts 15 miles from the trailhead.That is sixty miles a day!

I suppose you would have to have some time in way back in the wilderness with heavy freight to understand. Just the weight of your game means FIVE trips on a packframe (or goat). If you are five miles in that means fifty miles of packing...most camps are about 12 miles in...That is 120 miles back and forth with a goat covered in bloody raw meat in bear country. That is simply impossible and not only that it is just plumb goofy.

No use re inventing the wheel. Mules are the undisputed and only solution besides a pack horse. And they are so much better than a horse for so many reasons the comparison is tough.

Some hikers use alpacas up here to haul day freight. They are good at 10K feet and above but don't carry much weight and are ornery. An alpaca is probably a second best but you would have to pull four or five of them to equal a mule.

And besides, if I wanted to hunt one of those outfits way in there or spend a few days out I would have to pack a string of goats behind a lead horse. I will leave it up to you guys to figure out how to pack and rig a herd of goats. I think I will stick to the tried and true standard for mountain travel.

Edited by Bedrock Bob

I carried every thing I need and Two Goats in my Ford Van up to the Gila . Had to sweep some goat nugget out of the van but oh well. No Trailer, No Extra Feed. Some Water and they carried every thing I needed plus what little bit they needed. Supplement Food. A bit of Oats and Sweat Feed.

Bottom line is they was the best Bang for the Buck.

None went lame, None got sick, they just kept going were ever I did. If I would walk there they would follow. Every Goat carried 80% my stuff and only 20 there stuff. They was most happy when we found some running water. Never Complained, Never stopped on me and would always keep walking. I never had to smack them, Wip Them or even Yell at them. They would Follow.

Goats are Cool Animals!

O.K.Homefire. I will get a goat. A five foot hole with two feet of mesquite coals and a foot of goat meat is some good eating. And goats are great animals and pets too....as long as you don't have a little brown chupacabra for a dog. And yeah, I suppose if you had the time to raise some goats and got the right ones to train you can do it.

But one mule is about all a fellow needs to extend his range where you can't take machines.

So praise be to Jah and the mighty goat. May the hooves of the worty beast be kissed by a thousand angels. But if I see one while I am leading my mule across the Truchas Knife he is going to become carne adobada.

Hey BB

I was just trying to be humorous on the thread, I have never owned a pack goat,pack mule or any animal packable before but did have horses when I was a kid. I've always thought a pack in hunt would be cool but the only problem I have with it is that I am insanely allergic to horses, mules, elk deer,and antelope hair and basically any animal with hair. I'm sure glad my brother and my buds help me out when I get a animals down. I hope that you have success on your hunt. Good luck.

Hey Newriverblake!

No worries man! It is all good! You are much too concerned with a benign comment. With as many people here that go out of their way to be hateful it is great when someone engages in some light hearted humor.

The pack trips are beyond great. The wilderness is something that only a handfull of men experience. I feel so lucky to have two of the most treasured wilderness areas in the world right out my back door(s). I have hiked and packed them both all my life and it has become a way of living for me.

If you ever get a chance for a trip to the high country. TAKE IT. Even just for photographs or fishing. You will be in awe. There is simply nothing like it. Whether on foot or on an animal I have never had a richer experience. So many have never done it for whatever reason...what a shame. It is rapidly changing and being destroyed year by year. Every mile is precious and is a unique experience that you can never really re live.

I used to go in deep and stay for days. My physical ability to do this safely is getting limited. I am not ready to give it up or be happy diddling around with the ATV'ers in the tracked up National Forests. It is so much tamer... Like Disneyland compared to the high country. I suppose it is a bit of an addiction thatonly miles behind you and the sound of boots on rocks can cure.

Bob, If you want a Mule, You Want a Mule. That's cool. I've lived in to many Muslim countries and coming from Cow country can't handle the Goat or Sheep Cooking. Just the smell of Mutton Cooking is enough to through off my Cookies.

I can't be in the same room of the stuff cooking. It just Makes me UpChuck.

I've eaten Mtn Lion, Dog, Cat, Coyote, Skunk, Coon, Bear, opossum, Armadillo, Monkey, Ibex, Orex, Cow, Bull, Water Buffalo, Bison, Javaliana, Antelope, Deer, Elk, Snake, Fish of more type then people think of, Snails, Lizards, Frogs, worms, Mice, Rats Pack Rats are quite taste with a bit of sage or Juniper berries. I don't like Rabbit of any kind Jack or Cotton Tail, Pigeon One of the Best Birds to eat, Chicken of a million types, Dove, Quail ,Pheasant and Grous. Goat taste ok but it reminds me of eating a friend. Sheep makes me sick to the Smell.

Edited by homefire