Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DavidB

Highbanker vs Drywasher advice request

What a hoot Joe! Thanks!

It is a pleasure to discuss the finer points of a hobby I enjoy so much. We should be more involved in sharing knowlege here. There are so many excellent prospectors here with so much experience.

I like the puffers. My absolutely favorite thing. Looking back across the years I realize I have found some excellent spots. But the majority of my gold has come from the table of the puffer over the years. Those big runs are sweet but bread and butter on the puffer has kept me fat.

Good luck!

Thanks Bob....

If i can get some more knowledge maybe i can give back some which i do with mechanical skills i have on other types of forums.

Ground is too damp here right now with all the monsoon activity so your post about the rocker table interests me and looks very easy to build as i have sam raddings book of plans

Joe

I like to run the Dry Washer as hard as I can and see the Dirt Boiling. Ya if all is right you will see it Boiling.

The Damper the Dirt the lower your angle will be. The Dry Washer can and does dry it out a bit. Give it time to dry out. All the Large and light junk will go out the tail end and your doing Good. Keep Feeding until you see Black stuff between the riffles. Don't feed for a few minutes and let it go a black as it will. I guarantee if there is gold there you will have it. The more damp the Ground is the More Riffles the gold will Walk over.

Thanks Homefire :D

Those big runs are sweet but bread and butter on the puffer has kept me fat. - Bedrock Bob

I want to get fat!

Thank you all for contributing to this discussion.

Does anyone here have any plans/designs they recommend for a puffer or rocker?

Bill over at http://http://www.billandlindaprospecting.com/ has this

http://www.billandlindaprospecting.com/rockerbox.html

Suggestions?

And how about the Zephyr? Is it still being made?

Nice plans for a small rocker box..... better than the one i have.

Thanks,

Joe

IMHO you are better off buying a professionally manufactured piece of equipment unless you have highly developed fabrication skills and the tools necessary to bring those skills to life. I have seen many examples of DIY (and some so called professionally manufactured) equipment that require constant fiddling with to make it work in the field. No fun and I always wonder if the gear is working right or what. It's difficult to have confindence in what you are doing if you do not trust the gear.

That said the rocker box plans I have looked at seem simple enough that a lot of tools and equipment should not be necessary.

I am very biased when it comes to puffers. The Zephyr is head and shoulders above the rest. I have made and sold many of them.

I have been toying with the idea of making a few more but none are available at this time.

The basic machine is very similar to Frank C.'s Ol' Yeller. That is a fine machine and is a great value.

There are many designs but the main difference with the Zephyr is that it has no crank shaft. It has a counterbalanced crank plate that gives a flywheel effect and makes it a breeze to turn. Other than a few bells and whistles it is not a whole lot different than most other designs.

I will have to post a few photos of the innards of the Zephyr. If guys have never seen that type of drive system it will make you grin. It is simple and intuitive and makes a good machine even better.

When I get near a real internet connection I will post some photos.

I sold hundreds of rockers many years ago as well as drywashers under the name "Busted Knuckle Mining Co. The rocker is really cool and simple and you can copy it easily from photos.It has a two stage table that really sucks out the fine gold.

Maybe tomorrow I will go to town and post some equipment pics here. We are off to such a good start we can really have a great thread going here.

Some real good info here! I too prefer drywashing, I use an Ol Yeller I got from Frank C. I can't keep up with it's appetite for dirt.

The rocker box is an interesting idea I had not thought of, I'll have to add building one to my project list. Like Joe Z said...too wet for drywashing here at the moment.

Hi Bob-

Yes PLEASE post pix!

And please indulge a few more questions...

How much did the Zephyr cost?

Is it possible to retrofit that counterbalanced crank plate

system to, say, an Ol Yeller? Or adapt it to some other

puffer-type drywasher?

I checked out Frank C.'s Ol Yeller site, and that is a very

nice looking piece of equipment.

SLNugget pointed out the important balance between DIY

and purchasing professional. I agree the little rocker box is

not a huge investment of time, labor and materials. The

puffer, another story.

My long time philosophy "how hard could it be?" has been

tempered over some years of experience!

Fellows,

I tried to get photos uploaded and linked and all that but have given up after hours of trying. It just isn't going to happen. If you P.M. me I can email you some photos and a written description of what you are looking at and how it works.

Sorry. Technical difficulties I guess.

Bob..... did you click on "more reply options" first and then attach your picture from the link down bottom??

Test Pic i just tried I've been mailing this pic to suppliers trying to find that lower rod.....it's impossible)

post-26225-0-36963900-1378328217_thumb.p

Joe

If I could upload the pics you would see my spin on that lower rod....

I have several pics I want to insert between lines of text. I can't seem to cut the text from Word and insert it into the editor.

Then I gotta toggle back and forth between Photobucket and the editor and get the codes inserted in between the text correctly...the text I can't seem to get pasted.

So I guess I have a whole lot of problems to work on before I tackle pasting image codes. My laptop won't be near town for several days and I am headed dove hunting.

Take your control box off the pole and put it in a little camera bag with a strap over your shoulder. Put the coil on a piece of 1/2" p.v.c. pipe bent like a cane. You can throw the stock GBll rod out the window...at least that is what I did.

...when I finally get the pics up you may see some logic in how I have my GBll rigged. The box and the pole make the detector hard to set down and difficult to use when you are recovering targets. I can throw my pole aside and never worry about the control box and get my coil down in the hole with me rather than us always being at opposite ends of a pole all the time.

Joe

If I could upload the pics you would see my spin on that lower rod....

I have several pics I want to insert between lines of text. I can't seem to cut the text from Word and insert it into the editor.

Then I gotta toggle back and forth between Photobucket and the editor and get the codes inserted in between the text correctly...the text I can't seem to get pasted.

When you get a chance try this....click "More reply options" and then pick a picture that is on your computer,not photo bucket and add it to "choose files "down below after you do that click between the lines on the lower example you want to put the picture and hit enter one time to make a space. and then put your curser in there and on the right side it says "add to post" where the picture is downloaded here which will be wherever you have a cursor flashing..... click on preview to see what it will look like then post it..... You may be using the links up top and i always have a hard time there.... sounds confusing but it's easy.... If you already knew this please accept my apology.

by the way that's how i put my gold bug picture in here

So I guess I have a whole lot of problems to work on before I tackle pasting image codes.

Don't paste image codes go thru attach files down below after you click more reply options

My laptop won't be near town for several days and I am headed dove hunting.

Take your control box off the pole and put it in a little camera bag with a strap over your shoulder. Put the coil on a piece of 1/2" p.v.c. pipe bent like a cane. You can throw the stock GBll rod out the window...at least that is what I did.

I really like that idea and so simple..... Thanks for the great idea

...when I finally get the pics up you may see some logic in how I have my GBll rigged. The box and the pole make the detector hard to set down and difficult to use when you are recovering targets. I can throw my pole aside and never worry about the control box and get my coil down in the hole with me rather than us always being at opposite ends of a pole all the time.

I fully understand what your saying and i put PVC Pipe on my list of things to buy. Yeah! :yesss:

Joe

Bedrock Bob,

I've applied some of the tips you've posted and they've helped.

I did pay attention to the top riffle of the dry washer the last few times I've been out, and I think I'm finding about a third of the gold before on the tray before I pan it. Everything I'm finding is in the top riffle on the left side of the tray. Finding it on the left side of the tray seems to match the rotation of the fan of the dry washer. I also listed to what you were saying and I am moving more dirt through it by setting the angle steeper, and recovery seems to be the same. I am able to run the drywasher much more towards its rated capacity. More dirt equals more gold.

Thanks.