Nugget Shooter Forums

They ain't no gold in Mi.

rockhunter1620

Well, maybe a little :yesss:

Last year in Nov. I bought a sluice from AM (Angus Mac Kirk), and yesterday was the first time I was able

to go to my little crick, (123 miles from where I live) and put it in the water and figure out how to use it.

I ain't never done this sorta thing before, seen a bunch of U-tube video's but watchin, and doin is 2 different

things.post-25539-0-49744700-1377954913_thumb.j

post-25539-0-14637000-1377954908_thumb.j

So I think I got it set good enough, volume was there, but but I think there could have been more velocity, a little

faster moving, cause it took more time than I liked fer it to wash out all the gravels and lite sand.

About half way through he day I got out my spaghetti strainer(about 20 mesh screen) cause the larger gravels,

1/2 in. gravels were just taking toooo long to wash out.

Long story short, yesterdays take, processed 15, 1/2 five gal. buckets, or 7 -8 whole bucket, however you want to

see it.post-25539-0-10980000-1377955589_thumb.j

post-25539-0-21396700-1377955592_thumb.j

Good job, nice gold as well!!

AM sluices work real well when setup properly, most of them don't like the water to be to fast through the sluice, a smooth laminar flow with no turbulence is best but fast enough to clear 2/3 of the space between the dropped riffles within 20 to 30 seconds, water depth in these sluices can vary between 1/2" to 2" or so with no ill affects.

Congrats Frank :thumbsupanim I bet you eyes lit up. Nice looking gold. Did you have to pay for a permit?

Hey Dutchman, permit????, What's a permit? :idunno: I don't need no stinking permits :4chsmu1:

Good job, nice gold as well!!

AM sluices work real well when setup properly, most of them don't like the water to be to fast through the sluice, a smooth laminar flow with no turbulence is best but fast enough to clear 2/3 of the space between the dropped riffles within 20 to 30 seconds, water depth in these sluices can vary between 1/2" to 2" or so with no ill affects.

Hey Skip, thanx man fer the advice. I do have a 3rd section fer this sluice to make it overall 80 ins., w/48 riffles total but there's no stretch on this

crick with an adequate drop to set the whole thing. The best I can do is set it with the flair and one section. but I'm learnin.

N ice going Frank, I'll bet we see more of this from you. :thumbsupanim

Yes sir, I'm tryin there frank but it's been slow goins fer work this year, yesterday was the first time all summer I's able to come up

with the extra forty bucks I needed fer the gas tank so I could just go an do something I wanted to do. And then I think I need to find

me another place where there's a better chance of findin bigger pieces, a few course pickers and flour more concentrated, cause that

little bit I got there, that's 50-100 mesh or even smaller, that little bit there, if it were tissue paper, well, there ain't enough there to

blow my nose, but I might get out there one more time in a week or so, I'm a tryin :Diggin_a_hole:

You must have gotten he last of the gold in the whole state

Hey Steve, you know, the further N. you go here, and do a good bit of research and study glacial morain formation

and the various compositions, course till, fine till, etc. And then a few geology maps, one can find it.

And it doesn't hurt to be willin to maybe bend some of those rules made by them city people in Lansing as well :evil1: .

Edited by rockhunter1620

Wondered where the heck you been lately, nice gold Frank and keep at it!

Thanx Bill, I'm doin what I can, the bills gotta come first, but I've been around here, I git the E-mails

because I follow the different topics, just sometimes I find myself doin more readin than needin to comment.

Heck, I'm just tickled stupid I's finally able to go an stick that sluice in some water and shovel dirt into it,

oh, and do you expect any frank to do anything less, than speak frankly???

If you don't have enough water flow within the creek use rocks to build a wing dam which will increase the "flare" entering the sluice funneling more water to your sluice.

If you're still not getting enough water flow use a piece of plastic under and behind the rock wing dam insuring all the water hitting with the mouth of the wing dam is going into your sluice and not in between the rocks.

Than you again Skip, most kindly, fer the advice. I've been well aware of the "Build a wing dam on the spot" solution fer increasing volume and velocity from many of the videos I've

watched this last yr. and immediately I had thought, well heck, 6-8 ft. of plastic lawn/flower bed edging would channel all kinds of water, very efficiently I might add. And I had figured

this out quite awhile ago over this last winter. I just need to find me someone that has some extra layin around their shed or barn they ain't planned on usin none to soon. But I've been

on the lookout, I'm on it man.