Nugget Shooter Forums

Electrical power lines and Minelab 4500 in cancel mode.

Had a question about about power lines and detecting near them. A few weeks ago a friend of mine and I hit this spot I would say about 150 feet away from some electrical transmission lines. When I turned on my M/L 4500 it went Nutz !! I had a platapus mono coil on. Has anyone tried the Cancel Mode in Coil/Rx ? In the Instructional manual it said to run a double d coil because it will not detect targets if cancel is used with monoloop coils. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I will give it a test this week, wonder if a smaller coil would be better than the 11'stock dd coil to keep the interference to the most minimum? I have that commander 10x5 dd coil, may take them both and just give it a spin to see which one cancels out the noise better.

Since the coil is an antenna, the smaller one would prob. work better, But remember, that even its in cancel, you are still going to get some interference, no matter what, power lines are bad to work around, but cancel doe's make them workable, Grubstake

Nothing works under the High Lines here. 370,000 volts going through those things. If you park your truck under them you get a shock just touching it from Inducted EMF.

The 5000 will work quite well under those lines with a small mono coil, larger the coil the more EMI, the 4500 however has a hell of a time near power lines, but try an 10x5 commander DD and should help a bunch.... Bill

Cancel makes otherwise unworkable area possible but only with DD. The detector performance is reduced by at least 50%. The target will be to the left side of the coil.

Try it and let us know how it went.

Thanks Bill, I wouldn't have thought to try that with the 5000

Edited by klunker

I will give it a swing :head: with the 4500 and measure the distance from power lines. That's why I am bringing my MXT and Lobo just in case. I will bury a nugget and test all three to see which will have the most stable threshold and than check performance. Thanks you all for the advice.

If your not talking about standing within a few feet or under high tension lines then the wind will be what you want to avoid.
So if your in the "vicinity" of the power lines and the wind is blowing away from you and the lines you'll have less trouble/interference.
If the wind is blowing across the lines toward you your screwed you have to wait till the wnd direction changes.

• Like 1

Like Bill says about the DD....also try beeping directly under the power lines with a DD.....don't know if there's a

difference in power lines but here when beeping off to the side the EMI's are worse than underneath.

The DD's that Minelab puts out with their machines are a lot better coil than folks give them credit for.

remember to tune the detector with the tune button...my 3500 works very well in, under and around power lines with the 11 dd in cancel...I have yet to try my newly bought and repaired 5x10 e dd commander coil...I think it will really shine in that situation...

fred

Edited by fredmason

I'm late to this discussion but Don (Garimpo) hit on the trick I found by experimenting under power lines around the Bradshaws near Prescott Valley where I live. Using the 11"stock DD coil with the GP or GPX series and especially with the GPX5000 will be about the best option either to the side or directly under power lines using cancel. I found that by setting the detector (mine is the GPX5000) with the settings I want to use including putting it in Cancel and THEN pushing the Auto Tune button gave me the best results. Don't forget that lowering the RX GAIN and/or adjusting the Stabilizer is your best friend in this situation. This is definitely NOT the time to increase the gain. Listening very carefully is the last line of success as even with optimal settings under the high tension wires you will still have some noise to deal with. Hearing those little breaks in the 'noise' takes some practice but can be done and done well with the patient prospector.

Mike F

I am heading out now to my spot and i will do as advised by you experts... :old: . I appreciate the help. I really have enjoyed my 4500 this year and made some nice finds! One of them a 27.5 gram beauty, solid gold! I will update on what I have learned today in the field.

Fred

Just got back from hunt. Well I have to say my M/L 4500 with the dd coil worked very well !! I ran the gain at 8 in Rx/coil setting in cancel mode do to power lines just 50 feet away. Before I ran the auto-tune I made sure in was in cancel mode. I used the 10x5 dd commander coil. I did not find any nuggets today, but puled out bullets, nails.boot tacks and tiny, tiny pieces of iron wire. The threshold was very stable, so I would say that it passed my expectations. Next time, I will try out the Stock 11" and see how well it performs. Thanks for helping me out fellas...

Fred

Edited by 49goldrushtradingpost