Nugget Shooter Forums

LUCK OF A NEWBIE....

garimpo

This morning had a visit with the local Minelab-Fisher-Garrett dealer....last week he sold a GPX 5000 to a guy totally new to detecting.....the "newbie" went to the Tony Oro ranch where tons of gold has been found in the last 30 years....

The ranch has just cut their Soy Bean crop for the year and was discing the ground for a new planting....have no idea what their going to plant but it's a big ranch....

So since it is difficult to walk and detect in ground that has just been disc to a depth of about 8" the

guy moved over to one side where there were weeds but no plowed ground......"newbies" just never

seem to learn.....

But he did do pretty good for his first day of beeping.....in fact so good the nugget he found at

12" weighed 70.5 oz!!!!!! Or if you like metric that's 2 kilos....

He sold it the next day to a gold collector in the state capitol for $100,900.00 :th:

Woweee! That's why i'm kinda leary about going where gold has been found...this proves a lot of places untouched. Too bad you don't have a picture Don. I'd like to see it.

• Like 1

Dang, is that US$ or R$.... either way he is a very wealthy dude now... anyone I know?

If he got Brazil money for that nugget, I think he got ripped off, R109,000 comes to $45,981.86 American, but if he got $109,000 American for the nugget he got about $9000+ over today's spot price, neither price would be enough for me to retire, but it would sure come in handy that for sure and I could sleep a littler better at night!!!.

Either way I think he paid for the Minelab 5000!!

Well, well ... I think the point is that the guy went to an area that others ignored! Maybe it was a fence line, maybe it was the stubble from the field when it was originally cleaned? You can't run a disc on a field with a bunch of big rocks on it. He has just created another 'gold rush' down there for everyone going to the piles of rocks next to the other fields.

Is there still time for us to come down and look around before all the fields are checked? It is about $1000 from Los Angeles.

Mitchel

You guys forget, nuggets come big there. Lots of kilo to multi kilo ones are found......but not by me when I tried with Don..Garimpo has a whopper nugget story....but this is awesome for a newbie. Bet Minelab would want that story... I'm thinking its US$......

These guys here don't think like we do....get the money in hand as fast as possible....he got paid in Reis and Skip was right about the amount.....

A few years ago another guy here in this town had a 1200+ gram nugget and I did the volume test that came out to around 800 grams of gold and I had a man in the USA interested in buying it but the guy wouldn't wait or trust me so he took it to the local gold buyer and they beat the gold out with a sledge hammer for 70% of spot.

I don't know the guy or where he's from and someone did take a pic with a cell phone and I'm trying to find out who and if I can down load it.

Well, well ... I think the point is that the guy went to an area that others ignored! Maybe it was a fence line, maybe it was the stubble from the field when it was originally cleaned? You can't run a disc on a field with a bunch of big rocks on it. He has just created another 'gold rush' down there for everyone going to the piles of rocks next to the other fields.

Is there still time for us to come down and look around before all the fields are checked? It is about $1000 from Los Angeles.

Mitchel

Here's a update on the ranch.....in past years I've found really good gold there with permission of the owners. About five years ago they sold the ranch and the new owner has a 50 year old son that lives on the ranch. He won't let me hunt there but all the Brazilians can. Roberto was convicted a few years ago of killing his pregnant girlfriend, don't know how much time he served

but now he's out of jail and lives on the ranch in the day time, at night he has to sleep in the jail.

So give me your take on that MN.

Kilt his girlfriend--I can relate to that,but cheaper to keep'r or just dump like yesterdays trash. GOLD fever hits hard in some folks,especially those that don't have lifes luxuries. Only question is how did that con get the $5,000 or so cash to buy that unit and never underestimate beginners luck,seen it 100s a times-John :idunno:

Krimmy!
Thats it... Im selling the detector and buying a new one and starting over...does that qualify as a newbie?
Dern good for that guy. He hit the mother nug right off the bat.

Tom H.

Gar,

I just got back from GB and Franconia ... skunked.

I have a Japanese Brazilian friend I could bring with me. She is pretty nice to look at. Do you think they would let me 'pass' for a few hunts if I brought her and her fast speaking Portuguese?

Don't you have some Brazilian blood in your family that they will let hunt?

Is Roberto really 'working' when he is using the metal detector? I think if he did that here in Cali he would be either put back in jail because he was not really working and/or the state would take half or more of the nuggets he finds.

Mitchel

The owner of the ranch is an rich old man that owns half the commercial buildings in a town of 30,000....at last count he also owns 8 very large ranches. Roberto is his son, and he doesn't do squat because daddy takes care of him.

Robert is a loose cannon with more than a few loose screws and paranoid to the max about anything and everything....

If your wear camo like I do he thinks your the Military Police coming to get him (again).....if your in civies and a stranger he thinks your the civilian police (Sheriff) coming to shoot him.....

About a year ago he was on his way to the ranch (27 miles of really bad road) when somebody took a few shots at him.... now you don't want to be any where on that bad road when Roberto is coming or going to jail....a lot of turns and hills that he takes at break neck speed and with Dad's money to help him he won't give an inch on the road. When I'm unlucky enough to meet him on the road I pull all the way over to the fence and stop.

As for bringing a Japanese Brazilian beauty to a country that has 10 of those for every man would be like bringing a sandwich to dinner on the ground.

The newbie that found the 2 kilo nugget is from a town about 250 miles from here I found out this AM, it wasn't Roberto. The detector dealer here said he is supposed to be getting a pic of the nugget and IF so will email me a pic.

Aloha Don,

Great story about the newbie. Just about the way I found my 300 gram franconia meteorite my first time out with my new GMT, thanks again Jason for leading me into the area. I had no idea what I was doing but the area just seemed to call to me. Had no idea that this one area was loaded with snakes. I hate snakes!!! Now if that could have been a gold nugget . . . . . . .

Oh well, sometimes you just cant have it all.

Aloha and stay safe out there.

Stan aka Kaimi

• Like 1

Let me see. He finds a 70 + oz nugget. Sells it the next day for about SPOT. Anyone else see something wrong here. Just rechecking the facts....70 oz. right? 70 oz rare specimen nugget.

Wow wish I had the chance to turn that nugget.

Dan T.

Let me see. He finds a 70 + oz nugget. Sells it the next day for about SPOT. Anyone else see something wrong here. Just rechecking the facts....70 oz. right? 70 oz rare specimen nugget.

Wow wish I had the chance to turn that nugget.

Dan T.

Actually he sold it for about half of spot price!! :grr01::th::idunno:

Spot for 70 oz should be about 95K. For the size and rarity I would guess it should have gone to Auction and gone for about 175K to 300K. More on the 300k side. I sold a 4 + oz nugget for 11k last Mo. when the market was at it lowest. BIG nuggets for sale have NOTHING to do with spot. Just my take. Would have LOVED to sold it for the guy....even with my fee We would have both be much happyer...:)

Spot for 70 oz should be about 95K. For the size and rarity I would guess it should have gone to Auction and gone for about 175K to 300K. More on the 300k side. I sold a 4 + oz nugget for 11k last Mo. when the market was at it lowest. BIG nuggets for sale have NOTHING to do with spot. Just my take. Would have LOVED to sold it for the guy....even with my fee We would have both be much happyer... :)

I agree, but the seller got paid R$109,000 (Brazilian dollars), which is around $45,000 American dollars