Nugget Shooter Forums

Dressing up a mini

Was at a local pawn shop a couple weeks back and picked up a like new 581 series 223 Ruger Ranch rifle cheap. It is the typical blah blah rifle, nothing fancy,post-227-0-53716500-1377562526_thumb.jpg

It shot ok with iron sights but with my eye sight alot of the time the rear sight is in focus and the front is a bit fuzzy. time to put some glass on it, but 1st had to order some Ruger 30mm rings. then saw a guy that had a laminated thumb hole stock from a ruger mini 14 target that he replaced, so bought it from him to go on my mini, it did make it look nicer, you know kinda like putting lipstick on a pig anyway got the rings and put a Vortex Vipor HS LR 4-16x44 on it, ,post-227-0-29404500-1377562541_thumb.jpg

It does shoot good, but one thing about these auto's is you go thru more ammo. Going to load some 70gr for the bigger varmits, right now shooting Speer 55gr ballistic tips.

jeeeeez this stuff is addicting, kinda like gold fever.

E&HAGD

Hey Allen!

What twist is the barrel? A 223 that will shoot a 55 gr bullet well will simply not stabilize a 70 gr. You need a really fast twist for those like 8:1 or better. And that tight a twist will make a varmint bullet come apart before it hits the target.

223 is finicky about twist and bullet weight. Most bolt actions are 12:1 and shoot no heavier than a 45 gr projectile. Bullets for an AR will tumble badly and not be stabilized. An AR or Mini is usually a 9:1 and shoot a bullet no heavier than 60 gr. The military keeps getting heavier bullets but their barrels are all the way up to a 1:7 Twist to stabilize the 70 grain projectile.

A 22 is small and a little weight makes the bullet a lot longer. Google the "Greenheck principle" to see how bullet length and twist correlate and how that is magnified with this caliber. You will find your accuracy and bullet performance are dictated by your barrel twist and that Mini will only be good in the 50-60 gr. range...70's will tumble before they fly 75 Yards! And bullets designed for a 223 bolt action will overstabilize and hit nose up at long range. Bullets that do not fly in line with their spinning axis are not accurate and have very poor terminal performance.

Try a 62 gr Barnes soft point or Nosler partition for hunting and defense. They are the only bullets I have found for the AR rifle that are designed to kill anything. Use a 5.56 cartridge instead of 223 to save powder and increase velocity. And stuff it with H335 and always use a magnum primer. Seat the bullet as far out as will function in the magazine. It is as accurate as it gets and much deadlier than any other bullet configuration available IMHO

Sometimes the Ruger will feed great even if you only neck size the cases. This will make accuracy a bunch better and your brass will last forever. Just trim them a couple thousandths longer than spec every other loading. A mini with good handloads and a decent scope mounting system can shoot pretty good. They are a lot of fun.

Edited by Bedrock Bob

I had a mini once. But I notice if it got the least bit dirty it would lock up. Never bought another one. I think it was sticking where the gas comes out but never could figure it out. I'd clean it real good but after 20-40 rds it would lock closed and then I would spend several minutes breaking it loose. Those thumb hole stocks really have a nice feel to them for sure. Hope you have better luck then I did Allen.

Edited by Rimshot

Rim,

Your problem was lacquer on that cheap ammo. If you use quality ammo without the finvernail polish all over it the Mini 14 will rarely jam. The design is great and although they were not desigmed for accuracy they will rarely stop.runnimg.

Almost every jam on any AR or Mini can be directly linked to.crappy ammo or cheap oversized clips. You can shoot them both full of sand and mud and abuse the crap out of them with no problems in a tbousand rounfs. Just a couple boxes of Maylaysian ammo with that lacquer all over it and you have a chamber full of half melted plastic that will stick the neck and shoulder right where the csrtridge headspaces.

A Mini will never be as accurate as a low budget bolt action but should never fail if the ammo is good.

70 gr bullet is the highest I would try, loading 5 at a time and trying to get the best accuracy. Yes every mini is different, one can get 2 different mini's off the assembly line and they won't be the same. What one gun shoots well the next won't shoot worth a darn. Most of my loading has been with H335 powder and federal match primers. I keep all brand of cases seperate. and the brass I shoot in my mini is kept for the mini, same with the CZ and Cooper. All the 1st time brass I get goes thru for length and then the primer pocket is reamed and the flash hole inside is reamed also and in case of 5.56 brass the primer pocket has to be decrimped. Each one of my 223's has a different load, each one has a different twist, therefor trying to find out what shoots best in each rifle can be time consuming, but it is fun. I am using 5.56 brass for the mini.

Getting a mini to shoot a 1.5 or smaller at 100 yard can be difficult, but can be done, I think.

I am with you there Allen. I was always a Leupold guy and I still am. But I did a lot of comparing a.d have two Vortex scopes now. Tough, inexpensive and great clarity. Not American made but marketed by an American company. If it ever breaks for any reason it will be replaced no questions asked.

And so far I have not been able to break one. That says a lot.

Rim,

Your problem was lacquer on that cheap ammo. If you use quality ammo without the finvernail polish all over it the Mini 14 will rarely jam. The design is great and although they were not desigmed for accuracy they will rarely stop.runnimg.

Almost every jam on any AR or Mini can be directly linked to.crappy ammo or cheap oversized clips. You can shoot them both full of sand and mud and abuse the crap out of them with no problems in a tbousand rounfs. Just a couple boxes of Maylaysian ammo with that lacquer all over it and you have a chamber full of half melted plastic that will stick the neck and shoulder right where the csrtridge headspaces.

A Mini will never be as accurate as a low budget bolt action but should never fail if the ammo is good.

Nope. I did not use cheap ammo way back then. I actually talked to a man that said he and several others actually did the test on cheap ammo. He sad they ran fully automatics with red hot barrels before the lacquer actually built up and caused a problem. Met him at a gun show in Tyler a few years ago. Now maybe the powder in Wolf is trashey enough to lock one up. Not sure. But I shot Wolf quite a bit in my AR and never had problem with it at all. And it's plenty accurate enough for me. Good plinking stuff.

Edited by Rimshot

A fully auto with a red hot barrel is something all together different than a semi auto. If your bolt fails to go into battery or fails to eject it is overwhelmingly the fault of the ammunition and not the firearm.

Just sayin Rimshot. Maybe yours had some other problem. And yes, most AR's will just gobble that cheap stuff. Some won't. But when one fails it is the overwhelming probability that bad ammunition is the cause. And big sticky flakes of lacquer anywhere forward of the shoulder is bad news for a shouldered casing.

Only way i cud open open it was tap the ejection tab with a hammer...never figured it out...possibly a mis-alignment problem with where the gas comes out for lack of a better term...been so long I can't remember what part goes over the gas thingy. But I couldn't really tell what was sticking.

I feel sure the american manufacturers started that rumor about the lacquer...had to do something..couldn't compete with the foreigners as far as cheap goes.

Edited by Rimshot