Nugget Shooter Forums

What's your approach ?

GoldIgger

Hey Everyone, name's Garrett.

Quick info on me... I have a few outdoor hobbies that keep me well occupied during my time off of work. Few years back something sparked my interest in prospecting and I remember in doing some online research I found this website. Thought, hey! What could be more fun then hiking around the desert with a detector looking for gold!! I ran out and bought a nice little Fisher GB. Of course I got frustrated early on digging nothing but trash and bullets and quickly bought a dry washer....Ha! Dry washing is fun, and I finally found some of that precious metal I had been searching for.

Anyways I sold the GB a while back. I'm ready now to get started again and have been out the last 4 Sundays to the " Dale Mining District " with my new machine.. This time around after reading for several weeks I decided to go with a PI detector. Could not justify ( Or afford ) at the moment a Mine Lab. I picked up a new Whites TDI SL - switched out the S shaft for a carbon fiber straight shaft ( Accuturn manufacturing. very happy thanks Herb ). And as of yesterday I've ordered a Nugget Finder Advantage 14" Elliptical SL Mono Coil ( I hear good things, Any feedback on this coil would be appreciated as well ).

Anyways I'm still early on in the stages of learning the new tool, so far its been pretty user friendly and I'm happy with the purchase.

My question is really about how you approach an area you plan to detect and how you make the most of the time you have while your there. I typically Google Earth a specific area, wash/hill side etc.. prior to leaving. Seems like by the time I get there I'm easily distracted by other places or areas that look interesting. I end up roaming the hill sides and mountain tops looking for patches missed ( or undiscovered ).. I don't mind the 100 plus degree weather and I've been hiking/walking 5-8 miles each visit, trying to also avoid very trashy and shot up areas. I also tend to move fast - treating it like fishing... " oh this spot's no good how about that hillside over there !" ha ha

When you arrive at your area.... Do you tend to stick to the same spot all day and work very slow and methodical, or do you search and move on? I would be interested to hear how others go about their day, when out searching for gold.

I love this hobby. What's better than roaming around in the middle of no where searching for treasure.

All feedback is appreciated.

Thanks, Garrett

Garrett:
I do the same...find a spot with google and punch in the coord in my GPS. I always have a back up wash in case

the one I picked doesnt produce.

That being said. Ive spent more than one day in a wash that gave up nothing. You never know if its just up around the next

bend or bench.

Slowwwwww down. Dont give up on areas too fast.

When you do find a nugget....slow down to a crawl and hunt the sides of the wash, all over in the wash and the side hills.

Good luck to you.

Tom H.

Sorry to hear you sold the GB and bought a Whites (Sorry, slapped myself in face). In my humble opinion, work an area to the best of your ability (slow) and then abit more. If you find a little yellow, then great! If you don't, you know you don't need to go back there again (well, at least till you buy a Minelab PI). I just slapped myself again. It wasn't a lost day, you don't need to go back there.

Do your research, find an area, hit it low and slow and enjoy !

Shep

Hi Garrett,

I can tell you i'm not a seasoned prospector. I can also tell you i've never hunted for nuggets before in my life but have looked for coins before with a detector. Mainly due to my location...no gold.

But what I can tell you, from what i've learned being on this message board is this.

Go where gold has been found before. That's where the research comes in handy.

Join a gold club with plenty claims property. This is the easiest way to find gold imo. Less hassle if you know what I mean.

And you can research the BLM lands to see what claims are open for prospecting.

Also check with the forest service to see where you can hunt gold.

Like Shep said, swing low and slow. Give your detector every chance to find gold, meaning don't give up any depth. Low and slow.

Make sure you don't get on anybody elses claims. You can lose tools that way. Not to mention jail time.

And last but not least, get to know your detector. They are all different. That little faint murmor you hear, might be gold.

Hope this helps.

GL!

To nugget shoot you gotta think like a cholo---go LOW as possible to the ground and SLOW steady FLAT swing is the thing that'll make all the difference in the world. Watch that upswing on the coil at the beginning and end of your swing as the closer you are to the ground,and flatter, the deeper you'll go. Listen for them soft even deep hits both ways left and right and good to go. John :D

ohhhhhhh... I almost forgot....DIG EVERYTHING because a nice nugget might be along side of an old horseshoe you know :yesss: ..........And..................Watch for Tullip Plants...might be a sign of gold... :200:

Edited by Rimshot

Funny you Mention "..................Watch for Tullip Plants...might be a sign of gold... :200:" There is a load of Bio indicating plants that love certain Minerals. The best are the Sulfide Lovers or Haters. You may find a spot that is green as green can be and there is a Hill side that is devoid of Plants. That is a Indicator of Sulfides that make the ground to Acid for plants to Grow.

One of the First things I do when I get to a Prospect is to get under a shade tree or shadow of a hill . Smoke A cigarette looking over the lay of the land.

Edited by homefire

Look for areas that have been worked. Learn the history of the area and know where the important strikes have been made. Get to know prospectors in the area and develop relationships. Get to know the land status and areas that you can hunt. Then go to those areas and pound the heck out of them with your machine.

Sometimes, after a lot of experience a detectorist uses geology as an indicator. Most guys are best served by learning history and getting to know the right people in the area. These are the primary foundational elements of success in the placer.

Edited by Bedrock Bob

Ohhhhhhhhh NOoo...TULLIP PLANTS???????????? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! I'm losing my brain.......haha!!!

TRUMPET PLANTS!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry

Look for areas that have been worked. Learn the history of the area and know where the important strikes have been made. Get to know prospectors in the area and develop relationships. Get to know the land status and areas that you can hunt. Then go to those areas and pound the heck out of them with your machine.

Sometimes, after a lot of experience a detectorist uses geology as an indicator. Most guys are best served by learning history and getting to know the right people in the area. These are the primary foundational elements of success in the placer.

Well said and very true! Especially when getting started and often trying to digest quickly the geology end of this business can quickly frustrate you. Often the gold in a placer has come from remains of mountains and other formations now long eroded away. Yes the clues are still there, but sometimes hard to see....

Get in touch with Michael Greyshock this winter and get a geology lesson on the Dale area. He gave me a great lesson a few years ago and using each and every bit of info he told me about, I found a virgin patch that has produced almost 1000 nuggets since then. The Orange Peel patch!

mrgreyshock@yahoo.com

• Like 1

Hey Shep,

Let me know if you find any tullips in desert and if you find gold close by....I can add that to list... :D