Nugget Shooter Forums

Just wondering if anyone has compared detector performance in damp and dry soil. Let's say I have a place to hunt but a recent rain has it wet. Would waiting a day or two until it dries out help or not? It seems that ground mineralization would be more pronounced in wet soil but then maybe not. Also, could it affect detection depth? No doubt that digging is easier in damp soil.

My knees are complaining a lot these days about all the years of abuse I gave them. So if I don't have to drop to the ground on them, so much better. I just got this extendable shovel (Ground Works) for shallow targets. I can pin-point a questionable target and do a small scoop using my free hand. It makes a good walking staff too when extended. It was only $5 at Tractor Supply.

post-26845-0-88902700-1377277956.jpg

I am fairly certain damp soil is much better. I use a shovel vs. pick about 50/50. Not a bad looking tool but for $5 I'd probably destroy in in short order(I'm the type who can break the horn off an anvil)

I'm not sure how durable It is. For lack of a better term I called it a shovel. It's a trowel I guess, since it's only about 3" wide.

Garimpo is on it. You will find in a controlled test that when the same area is wet or damp you will detect targets you cannot when bone dry.
This may be due to the "halo" effect which I believe will increase or intensify when wet or damp situations arise.
It can also be in conjunction with the wet soil and halo effect.
I am really upset today because we had a soaking rain last night and I am not able to get out to detect today.
Hopefully it will rain again tonight and thru the weekend as predicted locally.

Good to know. Bone dry is an all too common occurrence here lately. We are closing in on the drought conditions of '57.

Klunker I have been suffering all week from a perscription drug reaction so severe I was in and out of consciousness and today was the first day this week I was able to stand up for more than a few minutes.
I'm getting some food in me today that is staying down haven't eaten and kept anything down since last sunday.
Getting stronger now thou I can feel a difference.

Aloha guys,

The first time I hunted any wet ground I had to crank my gain waaaaaay back on my GMT. Once that was done I was finding stuff all day. I have since prayed for for rain each and every time I used to hunt Franconia or gold basin. Live and learn I guess!

Frank: You take care and go slow with the meds. I know just what you are going thru. My doctor has had to change my meds 4 times so far. The nerve pain from my stroke is sometimes soooo bad I just cant get around. Found the even taking two of the chyrocodone does not work. Going to start some accupunture therapy in a couple of weeks as they say that should help a LOT! Got my fingers crossed for now as my stomache just cannot take anymore of them meds.

In the meantime, take care and stay safe.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Darn Frank

I hate to hear you are having a rough time. I hope things get straightened out quick for you!

If you aren't feeling better in a day or two let us know and we can go out and hammer the crap out of your sweet spot while you are home feeling rotten.

Really, get better soon! We love 'ya man!!!

Darn Frank

I hate to hear you are having a rough time. I hope things get straightened out quick for you!

If you aren't feeling better in a day or two let us know and we can go out and hammer the crap out of your sweet spot while you are home feeling rotten.

Really, get better soon! We love 'ya man!!!

Yeah Frank get better and I will go with Bob to your spot to....um....keep an eye on him :Just_Cuz_06:

The increased conductivity of damp soils really work in your favor on a vlf BUT I've never tried the same testing on a pulse unit. Owned a couple but never ????got around to it. John :idunno:

A PI Machine responds well to damp soil also..... Both of you guys, hope you get better soon!

X2 what El-D said ... and you other guys are a little hard on poor ole Frank C ... protecting his private patch :200: ... how down right generous of you! :inocent: ... Hmmm ... fox in the hen house! :4chsmu1::rolleyes:

Five months of the year, wet ground is all I have here and with the vast amount of minerals present is why I prefer

using DD coils.....

Was out this morning where a local has hauled out tons of gravel where the slaves dug for gold 200 years ago to

his wash plant. Decided to use a 17" mono El.since the area is so large and instantly regretted that decision. Ground

was so hot that I had to GB every three feet or less. Turned on the tracking and had to go super slow for it to keep

up with balance.

Didn't really matter that much since we got run off. I've had permission to hunt there for 14 years but maybe a new

owner now. Most places here have no fences, no posters or anything to say who the owner is or prohibited or not.

This place would be a fantastic place for a good dry washer!! Behind me is an area just as large as this.

washplantgravel.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

All depends on the soil alkalinity.

Wet ground in Northern Nevada is noisy as hell, let it dry completely and even a GB2 can be used.

In neutral soils an even dampness helps a VLF more then a PI this is due to the way they work a VLF is a constant radiation whereas a PI relies on sensing a magnetic decay.

And the only choice in reality is to detect or go home.

Edited by nvchris

Frank--doctors have a PRACTICE and we are the guinea pigs they practice on. For every drug you take there are side effects--then ya gotta take a pill for them side effects,then them too and things multiply and ya die. Every person I know who has 86d or reduced intake does better. I could give examples of dozens a folks who were up to 30+ pills a day-my Mom RIP-and once dc'd down to 3 a day no more diabetes and blah blah agony created by cornucopia of pharmacia is horrendous in the US...I know some MUST but most not really. Take care as enjoy your posts-John

Kinda weak reason for not getting out. Remember, something about Terry holding an umbrella for you while you were digging you're gopher cache in the heat. You could hold it for her ;-)

Hope all works out! A little sip in the evening would be better than all those meds!

Shep