Nugget Shooter Forums

As some of you are aware, I use raw gold to make my jewelry. In order to use it and get a quality product I need to smelt the gold. I have been using my electric kiln for this. I never did like it because it took an hour or more to get up to 1950 degrees. Not only did it turn my studio into a sauna, but I am sure is cost a pretty penny and was tough on the kiln. Not to mention I wanted to get over 2000*. So I showed a picture to my buddy Klunker and he said he could make what was in the picture. He is a master metal fabricator and he's the coolest shop a guy could ever want.

I got it home and at first thought it was not going to work, tried many combinations and went through 4 bottles of Mapp gas and it did not get hot enough. Well, thanks to Majuba Tom's suggestions from his experience in working at a foundry, I hit the right combination of insulation.

I fired it up today with 1 1/4 oz of oro. It only took 15 minutes to get white hot and another 15 minutes at that temp and I had my best smelt ever! 37.1 grams of solid 22+K gold. 22K acid did not even touch it.

I am one very happy camper and no longer need to waste $$. and turn the studio into a sauna. Not to mention it is portable.

Thank you Klunker!

post-1252-0-69583500-1377031893_thumb.jp

post-1252-0-99703200-1377031919_thumb.jp

post-1252-0-53885800-1377031943_thumb.jp

Edited by El Dorado

He did the metal, I arranged the insulation. It is a product called Kaowool and the rigid stuff is Kaowool board which I used top and bottom.

I can if someone want to use their own gold in something I make. But for the most part I make all of my jewelry using nothing but raw natural gold.........

Cool Steve! If you have not smelted the one button of mine (you already smelted the other one), I would like to see the process. At some point I need to get up there so we can finish that project. Working 7 days a week 12 hours a day for a couple more weeks then have some free time to come up and hang out. Maybe even get in a little bit of prospecting time together.

Matt, I already did your gold, but can do it again so you can watch. It will cost you two fresh Mapp gas cylinders

What a neat toy! :yesss:

I say "toy", 'cause I bet it's fun to play with, seriously. :brows:

Nice job klunker. :worship:

Ya know, it wouldn't take much to adapt that to a regular propane cyl. :89:

Harder to get propane hot enough to usein smelting if memory serves me right :old: I believe you have to use a blower of some sort.John

Hey Steve I will get some more gold off to you for the opal earrings and some for you to keep, going to have to be nuggets this time cause I am out of fines and too hot to drywash

Nuggets or fines, they all make fantastic jewelry.......