Nugget Shooter Forums

need help IDing this?

Hi guys, newbie here, found this in a swamp with a pitch fork, non-magnetic I believe but it is iron as it's starting to oxidize, weighs 80+ pds, about 15"x14", anyone got any Ideas, some expert looked at somes pics that weren't the sharpest but said it's probably silicified limestone, I don't believe it's limestone, thanks for any help, 2wheeljunkie

post-26869-0-47513200-1376931517_thumb.j

post-26869-0-87536100-1376931705_thumb.j

Pour a little Muriatic acid on it. Limestone will foam like a shook up coke. We have acres and acres of eroded limestone here. Much of it looks just like that.

Edited by DeeDubya

Use a file or a grinder in a spot that will be on the "bottom" so it won't be seen if this is to be possibly kept as a specimen if it turns out to be something unusual, thus exposing a "window" into the interior, try to get a good smooth window, take a good focused picture of the window and post it here for further discussion on this specimen.

My next guess would be volcanic rock or slag. Either could contain just enough iron to rust but not enough to feel with a magnet. How does your metal detector react? I might send your pics to my sis (geologist). She's a petroleum geologist but knows her minerals well.

Edited by DeeDubya

The second picture looks like the object already has ground off spots on it, on the left side in a few small places and at the top part,

they're not shiny, but look like it was previously ground, possibly to make it sit solidly, without wobbling(?). :idunno:

Greg