Nugget Shooter Forums

Another big fire on the divide

Here we go again, the American fire started yesterday is now over 800 acres and considered to be a giant threat. Our air is smoke filled, right now the fire is 11 miles from Foresthill. Please send well wishes to the firefighters, they are in real tough terrain, all of which is gold country. The fire has already jumped the North Fork of the Middle Fork of the American River at Last Chance.

post-1252-0-09091700-1376318869_thumb.jp

Edited by El Dorado
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tough summer for both the woods and the fire fighters ... Well wishes and prayers for safe return of the fire fighters on the way!

Tough summer for both the woods and the fire fighters ... Well wishes and prayers for safe return of the fire fighters on the way!

Fires were rough here too. Thankfully we finally got some much needed rain.

Edited by ArcticDave

Salmon river complex by ETNA now up to 10,000+ acres and Idaho just got a biggie going too. Ya'all be careful out there!!John

The wind is generally in our favor, they say Foresthill is safe. I hope the wind stays low and this fire does not get crazy like the fire Hoser is talking about. It's over 1200 acres now....

It's about 10-11 miles from the house, but mainly heading away from us....over 3000 acres now and only 5% contained. darn smokey here in the morning because the normal downslope wind brings the smoke this way........They have bee using a DC10 for fire retardant drops,

Up to 4000 acres now. Morning smoke is choking bad! They got to use military C-130's equipped for firefighting....... 10% contained now. It's great there has not been much wind

.. 10% contained now. It's great there has not been much wind

You bettcha thats the 1 factor to mans controlling natures fury of wildfire.
When it starts blowin hard they have to throw their hands up in the air . walk away and wait.
Good Luck over there my friend.

Took a drive up the divide this morning just as the downslope wind changed to upslope. Pretty hard to find the right spot to see the fire. I know a perfect spot but figured the firefighters would not appreciate me there so I did not tempt it.

post-1252-0-55824200-1376599963_thumb.jp

post-1252-0-99381000-1376599964_thumb.jp

post-1252-0-69198900-1376599991_thumb.jp

post-1252-0-69049900-1376599994_thumb.jp

This is now a major fire and has jumped to 12,000 acres overnight. The fire command and control has been taken over by a type 1 team, there are only 15 such teams in the country and they are reserved for the biggest of the biggest fires. The smoke here at the house this morning is bad.... even inside the house my eyes are burning.

post-1252-0-95605300-1376749665_thumb.jp

Biggest of the biggest?? 12000 Acres???

I am sorry you are "pounding nails and breathing smoke" and I do wish you the best of luck but your fire is small compared to most western fires. I realize out there with the population density that there is a lot of property at stake and that is a rough. Even if it is a tiny fire it can cause a lot of devastation. Put some eye drops in your eyes. It will help you to survive this huge natural disaster.

Remember your insults and nasty remarks last year when fire almost took my home? It was 130,000 acre fire that displaced over 2000 people. Now the shoe is on the other foot and I wish you nothing but the best.

Edited by Bedrock Bob

Pounding nails? hey I am retired and have not had to do that for over a decade and a half......... The point is, they are preparing for a giant fire, if this one keep going it could get to the Ridge of the Sierra and just the other side of that is Lake Tahoe. Guess you don't understand fire management, but I will do the dreaded copy and paste so you can expand your almost endless knowledge of everything in the universe.

NEVADA CITY, Calif. August 16, 2013 - In the Continental United States and Alaska there are 15 National Interagency Incident Management Teams categorized as Type 1 and 36 teams categorized as Type 2. Both types of teams are strategically located throughout states, which are more prone to wildland fires. The teams consist of members from a wide variety of federal, state, county, and local agencies. Region 5's Type 1 and 2 teams generally manage large wildland fire incidents and address the most complicated safety, fiscal, planning, operational and logistical issues. [source: USFS Region 5]

The more complex an incident becomes, the higher it rates on the state, regional or national priority list. Any fire goes through the initial attack stage, where firefighters will attempt to contain and control a fire in its infancy. Extended attack becomes necessary when immediate local resources cannot contain a blaze and are calling in resources from neighboring agencies through the mutual aid system. Every fire agency in California, be that a local volunteer fire department or state or federal resources are part of the mutual aid system. If a fire cannot be contained after an extended attack, a Type 3 organization is established. On the
American Fire, a Type 3 was in place on Sunday morning.

The location of the fire, in very steep and inaccessible terrain, combined with weather and fuels conditions, made for active fire behavior and the safety of the firefighters and smokejumpers was in jeopardy. The Tahoe National Forest made the decision to call in an Interagency Management Type 2 Team. The team arrived on Monday, the transition took place the same day.

The fire now has reached a stage where the complexity requires additional resources and a Type 1 Team will inbrief tomorrow at 6 am. For the locals who remember the
Ralston Fire, Incident Commander Rocky Oplinger will be heading the team again. (The Ralston fire started in the bottom of the Middle Fork American River on Tuesday September 5, 2006. 100% containment was declared at 6:00 pm on Sunday, September 17, 2006. The fire burned 8,423 acres.)

Additional resources from fire departments all over the state will arrive to reinforce the 1,226 firefighters battling the blaze.

"Have fun pounding nails and breathing smoke" was your response when I posted about the fire last year. I have no idea what it was supposed to mean but I figured I would give it right back to you since you are so focused on your little fire out there.

What comes around just went around. Dont feel to bad about it. I hope you and yours suffer no damage. That is one heck of a lot nicer than your hateful comments to me when I was watching a truly huge blaze bearing down on me.

Edited by Bedrock Bob

Biggest of the biggest?? 12000 Acres???

I am sorry you are "pounding nails and breathing smoke" and I do wish you the best of luck but your fire is small compared to most western fires. I realize out there with the population density that there is a lot of property at stake and that is a rough. Even if it is a tiny fire it can cause a lot of devastation. Put some eye drops in your eyes. It will help you to survive this huge natural disaster.

Remember your insults and nasty remarks last year when fire almost took my home? It was 130,000 acre fire that displaced over 2000 people. Now the shoe is on the other foot and I wish you nothing but the best.

Pounding nails? hey I am retired and have not had to do that for over a decade and a half......... The point is, they are preparing for a giant fire, if this one keep going it could get to the Ridge of the Sierra and just the other side of that is Lake Tahoe. Guess you don't understand fire management, but I will do the dreaded copy and paste so you can expand your almost endless knowledge of everything in the universe.

NEVADA CITY, Calif. August 16, 2013 - In the Continental United States and Alaska there are 15 National Interagency Incident Management Teams categorized as Type 1 and 36 teams categorized as Type 2. Both types of teams are strategically located throughout states, which are more prone to wildland fires. The teams consist of members from a wide variety of federal, state, county, and local agencies. Region 5's Type 1 and 2 teams generally manage large wildland fire incidents and address the most complicated safety, fiscal, planning, operational and logistical issues. [source: USFS Region 5]

The more complex an incident becomes, the higher it rates on the state, regional or national priority list. Any fire goes through the initial attack stage, where firefighters will attempt to contain and control a fire in its infancy. Extended attack becomes necessary when immediate local resources cannot contain a blaze and are calling in resources from neighboring agencies through the mutual aid system. Every fire agency in California, be that a local volunteer fire department or state or federal resources are part of the mutual aid system. If a fire cannot be contained after an extended attack, a Type 3 organization is established. On the American Fire, a Type 3 was in place on Sunday morning.

The location of the fire, in very steep and inaccessible terrain, combined with weather and fuels conditions, made for active fire behavior and the safety of the firefighters and smokejumpers was in jeopardy. The Tahoe National Forest made the decision to call in an Interagency Management Type 2 Team. The team arrived on Monday, the transition took place the same day.

The fire now has reached a stage where the complexity requires additional resources and a Type 1 Team will inbrief tomorrow at 6 am. For the locals who remember the Ralston Fire, Incident Commander Rocky Oplinger will be heading the team again. (The Ralston fire started in the bottom of the Middle Fork American River on Tuesday September 5, 2006. 100% containment was declared at 6:00 pm on Sunday, September 17, 2006. The fire burned 8,423 acres.)

Additional resources from fire departments all over the state will arrive to reinforce the 1,226 firefighters battling the blaze.

"Have fun pounding nails and breathing smoke" was your response when I posted about the fire last year. I have no idea what it was supposed to mean but I figured I would give it right back to you since you are so focused on your little fire out there.

What comes around just went around. Dont feel to bad about it. I hope you and yours suffer no damage. That is one heck of a lot nicer than your hateful comments to me when I was watching a truly huge blaze bearing down on me.

Please bury the past, it is in the past and should remain in the past,

I'm sure no other members needs or wants to hear the past hashed out among yourselves, if you two just can't get along, just ignore each other or send each other an email since it seems to be a personal matter between yourselves and a personal matter between you two doesn't need to be on the public forum.

The fire may seem small in acreage, but to the brave men and women that are willing to sacrificie life and limb in their service to the country it certainly is not a small fire. It is certainly not a small fire to the million or so people that are effected by the smoke. They are putting a type 1 team on this in hopes of not letting it get to one of those 100,000 acre fires that it has the potential to do. But, it's certainly not as bad as that Idaho fire threatening Ketchum