Nugget Shooter Forums

Hi Guys

Was wondering if any of you can recommend an inexpensive hand held GPS unit for use out in the field. Have a topo map with some "X"s and need something to navigate my way to them. Nothing fancy with a lot of whistles and bells. Just a basic GPS.

Thanks

Dutchman

I like my Garmin eTrex 20 along wit the free Garmin BaseCamp program. I find it very useful and relatively easy to use.

You can load topos on it and also Google Earth birdeye views from the Base Camp program. There was just a thread about

a few weeks ago. A search should find it.

Although I rarely need one, my eTrex 20 is pretty sweet. Like Stan said , you can load aerial imagery via Garmin Basecamp (subscription) and that makes it real easy to tell just where you are in the field if you are trying to locate something.

Heres the one Dad and I use.

Pretty basic and easy to use.

You can find them cheaper if you shop around.

Tom H.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000UNDLQ2/ref=sr_1_3_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1376253983&sr=8-3&keywords=garmin+etrex+venture&condition=used

Yo Steve ... The old Garmin Etrex will work just fine for what you're doing ... What I used to mark those X's ... Cheers, Unc

I have a Rhino 530 Gps/2 way radio with all the toys -I know its kind of expensive but I like the radio feature just in case :arrowheadsmiley: Mike C... :200:

If you have the 'x' marks the spot on the map ... a good old fashion compass works pretty good ... They were used for centuries before the GPS was even a wild thought in some inventor's mind. Learn land navigation with a compass so when the battery on the GPS fails you can still get there. Just a passing thought!

Mike F

For a minute I thought that you was going to give away our old trade secrets.

Something about looking for the moss on the North side of the cactus to line

up your sextant. :ROFL:

I chased claims and survey corners for years with a compass,yeah it works.

Actually I just use a E-Trex 10 now. All the E-Trex units are really reliable and

pretty darn accurate.

Great info in this months Consumers Reports mag or oline site also-John

Sawmill ... Being a good Maine and NH boy I know well the north side of the tree moss ... trouble with all that is that in the ancient cedar swamps that I frequented for trout holes and whitetails the moss grew all around the tree so we had to drag out the sextant after all! As an orienteer and a NH volunteer hunter ed instructor with one of my specialties in land navigation I feel it is extremely important to know basic map and compass skills as well as and especially if the main source of nav aid is going to be the GPS. I use a Garmin GPSmap60csx and love it ... but every once in awhile I would go out without a fresh set of batteries when venturing into the North Maine Woods ... for those times I was happy to know that around my neck was my Silva compass and the inside pocket of my jacket was a topo map of the area tucked safely away and dry in a plastic bag. And in that way I NEVER got lost ... however I did get turned around once or twice as I vaguely remember! :)

Mike F

Thanks Guys

I had a GPS made by Magellen years ago. Must have been a little bigger then a small paperback and 2 inches thick and expensive -- $225.00 It would get you there and back but there was not any downloading maps or anything like that. I would imagine even the cheapest GPS these days would have ten times the capacity of that one, maybe more. I checked into the Garmins so Garmin it is.

Mike F, As a former boy scout, I used a compass frequently and I still got lost...at times. :idunno::)

Sawmill ... Being a good Maine and NH boy I know well the north side of the tree moss ... trouble with all that is that in the ancient cedar swamps that I frequented for trout holes and whitetails the moss grew all around the tree so we had to drag out the sextant after all! As an orienteer and a NH volunteer hunter ed instructor with one of my specialties in land navigation I feel it is extremely important to know basic map and compass skills as well as and especially if the main source of nav aid is going to be the GPS. I use a Garmin GPSmap60csx and love it ... but every once in awhile I would go out without a fresh set of batteries when venturing into the North Maine Woods ... for those times I was happy to know that around my neck was my Silva compass and the inside pocket of my jacket was a topo map of the area tucked safely away and dry in a plastic bag. And in that way I NEVER got lost ... however I did get turned around once or twice as I vaguely remember! :)

Mike F

Compass? They still make them? LOL

What we city guys need are classes on land nav.....We usually only get "then left at the 7-11" for land nav.

Jim

Jim ... After the left at the 7-11 ... southerly forty paces to the old Oak tree ... northwesterly 102 paces to the big rock and then .....! :) Oh I forgot they cut the old Oak down a few years ago so now I'm lost too! :old:

Mike F

Jim ... After the left at the 7-11 ... southerly forty paces to the old Oak tree ... northwesterly 102 paces to the big rock and then .....! :) Oh I forgot they cut the old Oak down a few years ago so now I'm lost too! :old:

Mike F

Mike, This is the 21st century. We can't do things the hard way anymore... Can we? :)

Steve, for what you need it for , I think that Garmin eTrex 10 is perfect for you

Mike F

I keep my trusty Silva compass in the pouch with my GPS and maps. The maps

I carry are not your typical maps. They are already preloaded with all survey and

corner coords right down to the quarter/quarter section. That is why I just use a

E-Trex 10 ,I don't need the mapping function.

Besides I always leave a bag of dog treats in my truck,I guarantee that my bulldog

can find that truck. :ROFL:

• Like 1

I here you on the dog treats ... That Lab pup of mine knows when its time to eat and heads for the barn.

Old school rules,compass works just fine as no signal loss,no linkage problems,no dead batteries. Just a topo and the "easy way" works just fine for me. NEVER been lost in the woods ever,anywhere really as I find out where I'm going long before I leave the house. Works just fine for me-John

Mike F

I keep my trusty Silva compass in the pouch with my GPS and maps. The maps

I carry are not your typical maps. They are already preloaded with all survey and

corner coords right down to the quarter/quarter section. That is why I just use a

E-Trex 10 ,I don't need the mapping function.

Besides I always leave a bag of dog treats in my truck,I guarantee that my bulldog

can find that truck. :ROFL:

Sawmill do bears like dog treats? I don't have bears here but there are plenty of mountain lions around.

Old school rules,compass works just fine as no signal loss,no linkage problems,no dead batteries. Just a topo and the "easy way" works just fine for me. NEVER been lost in the woods ever,anywhere really as I find out where I'm going long before I leave the house. Works just fine for me-John

A Compass and topo maps is all I ever used. My brother sent me a GPS about 10 or 15 years ago. I used it once to go to the mail box and back home. I gave it away a month or so ago.

:old:

Garimpo

Bears have to eat too, hell I like bears! While logging I have shared my lunch

with a few. They will go for your lunch pail while you are working too. Just leave

the windows down and they will eat what they want ,and not tear up anything.

I have had bears on every machine I have owned and in several trucks. Most

of the time they just leave hair,and muddy paw prints. Bears are just a pest and

love to chew up log cutter's ,gas and oil jugs . I still use a wedge pouch and tape

with big tooth prints in them. Had a couple cubs chew up a skidder seat,once,

you could tell that those little fellers ,were having a ball playing.

Critters don't bother me,I have lived my whole life out in the brush with them.

I have been eyeball to eyeball with several cats and bears,and they ain't laid

a claw on me yet. I am not real partial to snakes though. :ROFL:

• Like 1

Some are fairly sophisticated and most ... especially the android smart phones so called ... can be upgraded in most cases from the google app store.