Nugget Shooter Forums

Hi Guys

I noticed some smart phones have a GPS function. Are these only good for urban enviroments or would they work in the field too?

Specifically long - lat.

Steve , they only work if you have cell coverage. Get a true GPS Receiver like the Garmin eTrex 10

• Like 1

Adam, When I was living in Fl a few years ago, I had a neighbor who used a cell phone to navigate around the everglades. I thought that was crazy so I just had to ask. I didn't think they had that capability.

Adam is 100% correct and I should have noted it in my earlier response ... You must have cell service for your smart phone GPS internal system to work properly.

Adam is 100% correct and I should have noted it in my earlier response ... You must have cell service for your smart phone GPS internal system to work properly.

hey mike is there a satellite App for this ? I just got a smart phone last mo. and it rocks knowing my bill is going down to 40 dollars a mo.

No idea about a satellite app ... do you have a satellite phone? Just a suggestion ... But ... Another option since you saved $$$ a month ... go get a good $200 - $250 Garmin GPS. They are having sales on them now with the upcoming hunting seasons all across the country. Any of the big box sporting goods stores are a place to start.

I have an I phone. I read a post by Chris P. I think, wherein he suggested an ap (free), which I got. If you have cell service you can load usgs quads, USFS maps and another type of map. Remember you can only obtain maps if you have cell service..... So load all maps you may need before you lose service! When you get to your search area go to the ap and select the correct map... You need not have cell service for the gps to function... I am "challenged"' when it comes to this stuff, but I think for the price it is certainly worth checking out.. The application name is ihike ...

Jeff