Nugget Shooter Forums

I wonder...

Rimshot

Do you think one of these would work for a prospecting vehicle? Small, light weight, cheap on gas...

post-26159-0-13560000-1375996039_thumb.j

• Engine Type: In-Line 3-Cylinder
  • Engine Block/Cylinder Head: Aluminum-Alloy
  • Displacement (l): 1.0
  • Horsepower @ rpm (SAE net, Rev 8/04): 70 HP @ 5,800 rpm
  • Torque (lb.-ft. @ rpm): 68 lb.-ft. @ 4,500 rpm
  • Bore and Stroke (in): 2.83 x 3.22
  • Compression Ratio: 10.0:1
  • Valve train: 4-valve per cyl. - SOHC
  • Electronic Multi-Point Fuel Injection
  • Rear-wheel Drive
  • CARB Emissions Rating: ULEV-2
  • Federal Emissions: Tier II/Bin5
  • Direct Ignition System with Immobilizer

Transmissions: 5-Speed Automated Manual

Gear Ratios: 1st: 3.308 2nd: 1.913 3rd: 1.258 4th: 0.943 5th: 0.707 Final Drive: 4.529 Reverse: 3.231

Body/Suspension/Chassis: Unit-Body Construction MacPherson Strut Front Suspension DeDion axle Rear Suspension Stabilizer Bar (mm, front): TBD mm/none

• Rack-and-Pinion Steering: Turning Diameter, Curb-to-Curb (ft.): 28.7
  • Power-Assisted Ventilated Front Disc/Solid Rear Disc Brakes (in.): 11/8 Wheels: All-Season Tires: 155/60 R15 Front/175/55 R15 Rear

Interior Measurements:

• Headroom (in.): 39.7
  • Legroom (in.): 41.2
  • Shoulder Room (in.): 48
  • Hip-room (in.): 45.4
  • Cargo Volume (cu. ft.): 12.0
  • Passenger Volume (cu. ft.): 45.4
  • Seating Capacity: 2

Exterior Measurements:

• Wheelbase (in.): 73.5
  • Length (in.): 106.1
  • Height (in.): 60.71
  • Width (in.): 61.38
  • Track (in., front/rear): 50.51/54.53
  • Coefficient of Drag: 0.34
  • Curb Weight (lbs.): 1,808

08 EPA Mileages:

• 5-Speed Automatic Manual (City/Highway): 34/40
  • Crankcase (qt.): 3.5 incl. oil filter
  • Required Fuel: Premium Unleaded recommended
  • Coolant System (qt.): 4.5.
  • Fuel Tank: 10 gallon – 8.7 with 1.3 gal. Reserve

Keep in mind from what I've been told and read about it takes some getting use to using the automated transmission, if you don't do it just right it will jerk your hat off :tisk-tisk:, this isn't an issue with the electric version since it does have gears to change, but you would have to have a very long extension cord to charge the battery out in gold country!!

There are also other sub-compact cars out there that get the same are even better gas mileage and have more room and a lot more amenities/luxuries, like a standard radio to say the least, in city parking with some of these other sub-compacts may not be a spiffy as the Smart car but close!!

Hey our VW Jetta gets an honest 42 mpg average and has been out to the digs many times. it will easily carry 3-4 beepers, enough beer to quench the thirst of at least 4 prospectors and still have room for two big dogs. I just don't get those punster powered grocery carts. Why can't they get absurdly hi mileage ?

Course if you do take it out in gold country and get stuck, you mother in law could probably pick it up and get it unstuck.

lol Steve!!! Yeah and did you see it runs on premium gas,,,that's kinda weird, 70 hp on premium gas,,,haha!! Guess i need to find me a mother-in-law haha!!!

I had a friend at work drive one of those smart cars, I told him if he got in an accident, he didn't have to pay for a coffin... :arrowheadsmiley:

Them pieces of garbage just took the title of worst most dangerous car to be in a crash in with the new testing done by the government. What a waste a cash,ever drive in one a them thangs??? Absolutely horrible tiny piece a .........John :2mo5pow:

Well actually it rates good or acceptable on the crash test even though it's small. The body is built by Mercedes Benz. The only glitches I can find is its low powered (0-60 in like 12 seconds) and the transmission doesn't want to shift right in automatic mode but ok in standard mode. I think it's cute. I know, i know, it's not a rock crawler....hehe!!!

Do you think one of these would work for a prospecting vehicle? Small, light weight, cheap on gas...

NOpe, I'd rather resurrect and old squarebackVW for that kind of money.

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/3975048561.html

What if the body was lifted up a little?

post-26159-0-60836600-1376120797_thumb.j

Edited by Rimshot