Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Relichunter2

Home Depot all purpose sand has gold?

I got a call from my uncle Joe the other day as he had a question for me. Uncle Joe was a contractor for many years down in Camarillo. To keep himself busy he got a part time job at Home Depot. So he said this fella told him a story about how he bought all purpose sand bags that were processed in San Gabriel, California and decided to pan it out to see if there was gold in it. He told Uncle Joe he found a lot of gold in these bags. Now I know how skeptical we all are, but I used to prospect in the east fork of the San Gabriel river and I know of the sand and gravel plant he is speaking off. I am skeptical as I know these gravel plants have sluice systems that recover fine gold. Is this becoming a prospectors urban legend or not?

It is no tall tale! That bagged sand at Home Depot is rich! Most of the gold I have posted lately has come from Home Depot sand.

...And that Quickcrete concrete mix is some fine nugget shooting too!

I bet if we can get this rumor started we can make a pile of money buying bags of sand and reselling them at the gun shows at a 400% markup!!!

I did find a nice pile of fine gold at a wash plant near Leadville Co. It was at the bottom of the slurry eelevator where the auger concentrated it.. No doubt the sand and gravel products produced contained gold.

I have also found arrowheads in the asphalt road surface. So you can bet anything is possible.

Nowdays the biggest placer operations are aggregate plants that make construction materials in gold country. And a lot of aggregate comes out of deep flood plains that were once mined for gold. A lot of muck from hardrock mines and open pits are reclaimed for construction materials. Especially silica sand. So the chances of finding gold somewhere really odd do exist.

Goldfever Tom M started that and was true. Was. The bags were pulled when it got out. A lot of gold was being found.

:nutty::th:

Yeah...I suppose anything is possible...Uncle Joe said the guy found an ounce of gold in a few bags.... :idunno: ...Hard to believe. But it's got him convinced to the point he will buy a bag or two and try it out. I 'll just continue at what i have been doing for the last 22 years....Can't trade in my ML 4500 for Home depot bags off sand and QuickCrete.

There should be no mystery. It does not take Mythbusters to check this one out. All it takes is a gold pan, some water and a bag of sand.

My Uncle Joe likes to tell stories about guys he knows that have done unlikely things. If he told me that bagged sand was rich in gold I believe I would have to pan some to prove it.

My Uncle Joe thinks a lot and does very little. Something tells me his imagination is richer than Home Depot bagged sand.

In the late 70's a friend of mine finished his new house in the hills north of Nevada City.

His last big chore was getting a couple of dump truck loads of gravel for his driveway.

The truck arrived and spread the two loads down the driveway.

I had been up visiting and was helping him with some of the work.

As we both finished raking the gravel smooth and were resting at the top of

the driveway next to the main road, an old timer walked down the road toward us.

As he approached I watched as he looked over the newly laid gravel

and at the two of us leaning on our rakes at the head of the driveway.

As he passed us he spoke in a raspy voice.

"You guys run that gravel through a trommel?"

We looked at each other and smiled, 'ah those old timers' our expressions said.

"No sir, the trucks just brought the loads up and spread it out, don't think they ran it through a trommel."

The old timer's eyes narrowed as he shook his head disapprovingly.

"Too bad," he said as he walked off.

When fall came I got a call from my friend late one morning.

"Hey you know that gravel we put on the driveway? Well it rained last night, real heavy.

This morning the kids and I have been picking gold out of the driveway for the last two hours.

That old guy knew what he was talking about.

We got almost an ounce."

Weren't the walls of the old drystack cabins at Wickenburg razed for the gold ore??

No telling how many nuggets are in the sidewalks in the motherlode country.

I know a dirt dam that is built with rich gravel. I have found nuggets on the slopes. I figure the improved roads in that area used the same fill.

And thinking backwards there is two spots where graded roads cut over a vein and routine grading uncovers gold. There are plenty of places where roads, pipelines, gravel pits and other work has uncovered gold. Too often we only look where nature put it. Man is a huge force on this planet and has inadvertently moved a lot of gold too.

I have some Membres valley sands here. You all can have as much as you want for Oh, Say $10.00 a Lb. and shipping. I guaranty It has gold in it but not how much.

These Sand was washed out of the High Grounds of the Black Range, Cooks Peak , and the Gila districts known to contain Gold. Mind You this was just a few Million Years Ago. But it's there. Washing a few yards from my Front yard I realized a Gram of gold. LOL 7 Yards of Sand. Do you have any Idea of how long that took me?. I just used a Henry Poop Tube.

I hate to tell you this Homie but you don't have the mineral rights to your property in Deming. So you can't sell the sand and have to pay a fine and some back taxes on your illegal back yard mine.

You will be hearing from the Federal Atty. shortly. My advice is to submit to the gum swab and the small electronic device they will implant in your neck. It is for your own good.

It;s common knowledge in the gold country of North Carolina one of the roads was built using gravel from a gold rich area and the road has many ounces of gold under the asphalt, I sure more than once someone has used a metal detector and created a pothole or two!!! :ROFL:

You say I can't sell Sand? Emmmm. It's my Sand. Bought and Paid for.

Some Democrat must have come up with that Idea?

Well, they have to prove I sold some or is it Guilty Until Proven Innocent Now?

Taxes? It cost me more to find the gram then I made. I should deduct it from my Taxes.

You say I can't sell Sand? Emmmm. It's my Sand. Bought and Paid for.

Some Democrat must have come up with that Idea?

Well, they have to prove I sold some or is it Guilty Until Proven Innocent Now?

Sorry Homie. You admitted to the crime of mining on property where you have no mineral rights. You have conspired to sell sand that you have no rights to. Your deed is for the surface estate only and you can not sell anything that does not belong to you.

So I am afraid it is off to the gulag for you.

That is what you get for concentrating Obama's gravel.

Shame on you Homefire.

Guilty As Charges Sir.

It;s common knowledge in the gold country of North Carolina one of the roads was built using gravel from a gold rich area and the road has many ounces of gold under the asphalt, I sure more than once someone has used a metal detector and created a pothole or two!!! :ROFL:

I remember a story just a few years back. A fella was walking on an asphalt road in Mariposa and picked a nugget out of the road. Right near the court house of all places...

My best find was between the cracks of the paving bricks on the Santa Fe Plaza. It was not placer gold. But it just goes to show you that there are a whole bunch of valuable items lost in our surroundings that we never even think. of. It sort of bridges the gap between prospecting and treasure hunting.

Urban Fossicking??

I bet there are places a guy could find a diamond in the paving bricks, a nugget in the sidewalk and a handfull of gold earrings where they dump out the floor sweeping machine.

We all heard that they are trying to destroy mechanized prospecting in California. Just spoke to a BLM ranger the other day, a miner himself warning prospectors and club members :old: on an outing at the river this weekend to be very cautious about moving rocks and doing as little damage as they can. BLM officials all ready have it in their head that ANY mechanized prospecting will be prohibited on BLM land. So perhaps Urban Fossicking may be the ticket for us all :thumbsupanim . Someone needs to write a guide book on the subject this way I can buy it and get ahead of the learning curve on how and where to find gold , diamond , coins , in the Urban Jungles of the United States..

I could probably find loads of gold in the cracks of the floor in my studio. Maybe I should organize a group hunt ?

In all seriousness, I am about ready to go to the BLM and see what it takes to do a bit of mechanized exploratory work on a new claim..... Should be interesting to see how they react.

The largest gold producer in CA is Tiechart Construction. They have many quarries for rock, gravel and sand. All of them on good gold ground......

In order to clean up the sands to oh say 100 mesh I bet the drips are more then gone through.

Makes you wonder how many of these gravel plants secretly process the gold themselves, but call themselves a gravel quarry, hmmmmm theres an idea !!!! I bet the permitting process is less stringent on a gravel business, than a gold mining business. :brows:

Dave

That's a good point Dave...hmmm...

More than once in Nugget County – over the years - after the creeks go way down – near dry. I have walked through big long culverts – that went under roads – with a flashlight & found a picker or 2 on the bottom of the culvert. The way metal culverts are built, they act like a sluice box riffle.

Makes you wonder how many of these gravel plants secretly process the gold themselves, but call themselves a gravel quarry, hmmmmm theres an idea !!!! I bet the permitting process is less stringent on a gravel business, than a gold mining business. :brows:

Dave

You hit the nail on the head and sunk it in one swing!

As a Kid, I worked at Allied Air Craft just north of Tucson. They made Substantial Money from Recycled Gold. They would buy say a old Constellation air craft for $5000.00 . Gut it from all Avionics,$$$$ All Hydraulics $$$$$ Engines $$$$ Yes there are uses for those old Engines. All Cannon Connectors contained gold. Radar Units Gold and Silver. Grand Finally was 3000lb Aluminum and Magnesium Ingots.