Nugget Shooter Forums

Newbie here with a novice question. What coins can be tumbled? I'm an avid reloader and of course have case tumblers. My preferred is an RCBS sidewinder which is an actual tumbler. Others are vibratory type. I generally use corn cob media with a dry polish but also have walnut shell media. I'd like to clean some of the blackened silver coins I have. Also, some of the buffalo nickels and wheat's if it won't hurt them.

Silver polish for silver coins-keep all clad dimes/quarters seperate and them pennies are a pain. Keep'm seperate or they make all coins go copper. I like walnut shells myself but other media works too. Vibratory rules , tumblers work too but just a bit slower-John

Silver polish for silver coins-keep all clad dimes/quarters seperate and them pennies are a pain. Keep'm seperate or they make all coins go copper. I like walnut shells myself but other media works too. Vibratory rules , tumblers work too but just a bit slower-John

Thanks for the advice. I wondered about the vibratory because in my use the heavy stuff settles to the bottom whereas lighter shells roll with the media. Actually heavy casings will stand up with the base down and just dance around in a circle. I'll try both. My concern was damage but I wouldn't tumble a valuable coin anyway.

Not keen on the Vibro Type . Any Coins suspected of value should not be done. As Stated, Separate copper , clad from any other coins. NO Salt, NO Chemicals should be used. I use Aquarium Gravel and water to clean up the clad coins. Beach type sand to do the other stuff.

Even if you use corn cob as a polishing material. Coins themselves would bang against each other in any type tumbler. Hence, you would deface them & reduce their value.

Good point. All good advice from everyone. I don't have much of a collection yet so I need to get busy.

post-26845-0-53612800-1375793465_thumb.j