Nugget Shooter Forums

Caballo Gold

Bedrock Bob

Chris and I decided to start a thread to show off a little gold we are finding. We thought you guys might get a kick out of it.

Here are a few nuggets I found in the past couple of days. The three larger ones were found with a Minelab 2100 and the two smaller ones were hit with the GB2. There is about 34 grains of gold total....About 1.5 pennyweight. I am really stoked on finding this gold as I have not prospected in the Caballos in over ten years! I hit my first nugget within two hours of turning on the machine!

We dug for a day and debugged the drywasher that had not been run in 12 years. It had rained a couple of inches and the surface was way to wet to run. We found a pit that had some good color and spent the day running material. I will let Chris post a photo of our gold...We did O.K.... 'Bout a half pennyweight or so.

Chris is really good at specking that gold off the bedrock. He has quite a collection of gold and I swear he does almost as good with a dentist pick and tweezers as we did with the drywasher! We have located a couple of really good spots though and as soon as this rain stops and things dry out for a day or two we are going to hit it hard. That big machine can run 8 yards a day and there is some fantastic gravel that has been laying around waiting for us for about 3 million years. We plan on giving that thing a real workout this summer and getting a nice stash of gold worked up.

As the season progresses we intend to post the highlights on this thread. Hopefully within the next few weeks we will show you guys some great gold from these mountains. The weather has been beautiful with violent storms and flash floods everywhere. Chris is capturing some great landscapes and skies that are incredible. It should be a lot of fun to share them here.

Edited by Bedrock Bob

Nice pieces!

Looks like a couple of them might be contenders in the smallest nugget contest :idunno:

Yup. I think the one on the right is my smallest so far. It has a lot of surface but no weight at all.

I think I could find them smaller if i put on my glasses and used a pan to beep them out instead of just my hand. There is an art to those little ones for sure.

I get them against the ropes and it takes me too long to get them in the vial. Most of the time I give up before I recover them. I am going to spend some time developing those skills this season. The big ones are getting harder to find so it might be good to go for some of the small stuff.

Sure takes a lot of hours picking those tiny ones to equal one big one. It is a tough decision sometimes. I just sit and speck when I don't have time to cover another quarter acre of ground. If i get skunked on a big one I will always hit a few tailings at the end of the day just so i don't go home empty handed.

It's fun to hear about you guys' adventures.

That small gold is really good for fine tuning your skills

that is what I constantly tell myself and I actually think it is true.

Learning to hear the faint signals those little ones give off,

even though they are different from the deep faint signals,

is good for honing one's concentration.

Anyway, it sounds like you are having fun

and after all, that is the best part of all

til you find that door-stop sized one.

Hope it turns up soon...

Flak

I like to keep my skills out of tune looking for the big ones.

I think that I miss more big ones with a sloppy search pattern than I miss in tailings from bad technique. Everyone else too. I figure most guys don't get a coil over 50% of the area they search in.

I try to go straight from nugget to nugget instead of wandering around aimlessly for hours between nuggets. That one strategy has really improved my nugget finding.

Edited by Bedrock Bob

How are the Temps out there Bob? I can't take the brain burn like I use to. Trying to get up in the PA area in a few days.

Weather. has been great. One day it only got up to. 75 degrees. It has not been over the mid 90's yet annf cools off to the low 80's every afternoon before the storms. Nicest weather we have had in years.

Had more rain in the past three weeks than in the past three years

post-26514-0-12217000-1374869656_thumb.jpost-26514-0-92311900-1374869674_thumb.jpost-26514-0-69612300-1374869706_thumb.jpost-26514-0-26013800-1374869737_thumb.j hey guys, here's a few pics for you, the first one is a creek that has been dry since last August untill these rains hit, it's black because of a recent forest fire upstream. The second one is the view from our digsite looking west down the mountain slope. The third pic is looking east further up the mountain we were working on. And the last one is just a cool pic of the same mountain range, but as I was driving up there one morning. Bobs been showing me some great spots on this mountain, there is some serious gold up there.

Here's the gold Bob and I have gotten since Thursday a week ago. First few peices I picked off the bedrock, the next day that spot had been rained on and covered with a foot of wet sand so I won't be going there until it drys up real good. The rest of the gold was from the dry washing run we did on Wednesday, then I came back for a few hours on Friday with my smaller dry washer and ran for a couple hours. post-26514-0-35584400-1375021650_thumb.j

• 5 months later...

Chris!

It is high time that you posted on this thread. You have come a long way in the past few months.

You need to post a few photos of your finds and digs. Keep us updated with the news!

Guys, Chris has found more gold with his eyes and a pair of tweezers than I have with several thousand in equipment. Since last spring I have hunted with him several times. He is really learning how to find the gold and has been successful at prospecting full time.

Chris spends a whole lot more time out than me and has to sell his finds regularly. I have seen a lot of nice gold he has found go on the auction block. I can keep mine and brag about it and that is a bit unfair. I am going to post a few that I have found while Chris and I have been prospecting together. He has found a whole schitload more than I have since I started my little poke....

All mine are detected pieces. Caballo and Hillsboro. The stitches are for scale.

Edited by Bedrock Bob

Yes! It's about time we added a little to this topic. Sorry it's been so long, I haven't been taking a whole lot of pics lately but I've got a few. So it's been a slow couple months for me. It seems like it's been just raining enough to keep me from dry washing. One day around Christmas I had an idea come to me, I remembered the first spot me and Bob had ever worked, it's in the pics at the beginning of this topic. I knew there were probably a couple spots on that hill that would still be dry. We had gotten alright gold when we worked it, you can see from the previous pics. I decided to dig nearby the old spot against a wall where I could easily see the layers of dirt and caliche. I started busting up a big pile for my first run and just felt real good about how the dirt looked. It was loose brown stuff on top of a thick hard caliche layer, then under that layer it turned into red gravel that was streaked through with layers and pockets of caliche. I ran five or six buckets for a test run and it was great. There was a nice little bit of small pieces and probably four or five decent pickers, easy a half gram in there. It went on like that for about three or four days, every run was just great, I didn't even pluck out the nice chunks I was seeing I just dumped the cons and got back to running dirt as quick as I could. Then one run there just wasn't much gold in there, it was all downhill after that. I mean just like that the gold stopped, I started bouncing around from side to side in my dig for each run trying to find it again. It just wasn't happening. I ended up with a little over half ounce out of that spot. I tested all over in that area and did not find any gravel that was as rich so I think I just lucked out. Every single piece I found had caliche on it, some were so covered that it made them really light in the pan and I almost lost a few chunks like that.post-26514-0-15630700-1389642435_thumb.jpost-26514-0-35697000-1389642452_thumb.jpost-26514-0-69338900-1389642489_thumb.jpost-26514-0-29062700-1389642504_thumb.jpost-26514-0-42372500-1389642538_thumb.jpost-26514-0-11474300-1389642576_thumb.jpost-26514-0-09439300-1389642603_thumb.jpost-26514-0-74446900-1389642626_thumb.jpost-26514-0-15360100-1389642671_thumb.jpost-26514-0-08157000-1389642712_thumb.j

So the first few pics are just of the dig, then a shot of the scenery I get to enjoy while digging, and one of the sunset as I was leaving that day. Also, pics of the caliche on my gold before I cleaned it off. I think it looks cool with that caliche on it. In the last pic, those two smaller nugs were actually from hillsboro, but the bigger one came out of the caballos. I have gotten to hang out and prospect with Bedrock Bob a bunch of times, it is always a blast. I was there for several of those nugs he found and he really does make detecting look easy. Well maybe easy isn't the right word because it is pretty draining after hours and hours of it, but he definitely makes it look like its worth doing. On the other hand, with my own detecting, I have almost come to a point where I don't even associate detecting as being a gold finding method. For me it's like a character building exercise, or maybe like self-flagellation, not in a religious way but just a way to keep myself humble.

Wow Chris your pick and shovel work is very impressive. Not sure if you would be interested in joining my national shoveling team based out of Arizona. We have placed first in most all categorys such as flat heads, #2, #2 shorts, and trench.

Hey Dave, the most ferocious critter I've seen while prospecting lately is my lazy Rottweiler. She's not too bad though, just a big doofus. I'll try to keep the pics and updates coming more often! Hell yea BD, I have been wanting to come to AZ for a while. That's my thing I drywash or scout for new spots every day pretty much. I know there are some good spots near me now but I've always thought I could do better in AZ based on what I see on the forum. Looking back at some of the posts you and Adam have made, I often think "darn, I need to go dry washing with those guys." Hoping to make it out there someday for sure.

Wow, some great pictures and some nice gold. I sure do appreciate the eye candy pictures you are posting. Can't wait until I get the chance to do some prospecting again.

Paul