Nugget Shooter Forums

Anyone tell me where to go around Sacramento for a daytrip sluicing?

I am heading to Portland from Phoenix and was going to stop around Sacramento and do a little prospecting for a day. Only done the pick/pan & Shovel at Lynx Creek and wanting to try out a sluice for a day instead... anybody tell me where I can go find a little color without stepping on somebodies claim? Are there public areas like the Lynx withdrawl area up around there?

Off of 1-80 east of sacramento are a dozen places to go.GOOGLE Auburn Recreation area outta Auburn on Hi Way 49. Or BLM Rec area SF Yuba,Bear river campground halfway between Auburn and Grass Valley. Iowa Hill offa 1-80 or Shirttail or or or many places to go-John

I would suggest one place that John mentioned, it's the Bear River Campgroung out of Colfax.......

Uh Oh, John you have found out!

Cool thanks,

Campground huh... is this the place?? http://www.placer.ca.gov/Departments/Facility/Parks/BearRiverCampPol.aspx

Looks like a descent size river from satelite... water running all year round? Prospecting limited to the day use area or the whole stretch of river in the campgrounds?? Any suggestions for a newbie to the area? How far down to bedrock?? you working small tributaries or inside corner gravel bars on the main river??

I see it says no motorized equipment, so I guess everything legal with a 10"x36" sluice then in a public area?? What about metal detector is this a good area for nugget shooting too or all fine gold here?

Might just have to take the tent and spend the night there, was going to get a cheap motel room in Sacramento... Guess it will depend on the weather for that night... Dont really want to sleep out if its raining... Thanks again!

Rain :arrowheadsmiley: nope as 100+ and dry as a bone so staying dry not the problem,staying cool is. Sluice perfectly fine all spots mentioned.-John

It's mostly fine gold, but there is plenty in the gravels. You will probably not find the deep bedrock, the campground itself is very nice. It is a popular area.... Just find a good spot to set the sluice and start feeding it. If someone's old hole is available, dig from it, or start your own.....not really a good spot to detect....

El Dorado,

It says in the county parks:

Gold Panning

Gold panning is permitted. It is unlawful to operate motorized mining equipment in any County Park.

Do you know if a metal detector is considered a motorized piece of equipment?

Mitchel

El Dorado,

It says in the county parks:

Gold Panning

Gold panning is permitted. It is unlawful to operate motorized mining equipment in any County Park.

Do you know if a metal detector is considered a motorized piece of equipment?

Mitchel

Not unless it is powered by an internal combustion engine attached to it.

Metal detector is NOT motorized mining EQT.

Thanks again! If I find anything descent, will post some pics when I get back...

Wow from flying over the area with google earth parts of the river bank sure looks white... is that glare off the satalite picture or are the gravel bars along the river white sand or a bunch of quartz rocks making it look white? Looks like there were a bunch of people digging the day that was taken!

The white areas are indeed gravel bars, notice how they are all on the inside bends of the river, right where gravel and gold drops out of the flow as the water slows on these inside bends!!!.

Flying in to Sac, you get to see some great Motherlode country that I live right in the middle of. The whole American River Drainsges are Spectacular

As soon as possible... But have some flexibility, Was planning to leave last Tuesday, but been out of work for awhile now and my one source of a little work called and had a drafting job for me to do... Cant turn that down. Also had a tire seperate on my truck so need to get a new pair of tires now. Sacramento is pretty much half way for the trip and I dont like driving straight through anymore. I have been wanting get out prospecting for so long now, going stir crazy. Truck has been down for a year needing a transmission... finally got that fixed, to drive up to Oregon, So decided I am taking a day for myself, since this in just a few miles out of my way. Was going to play in the river a day and go back to Sacramento, but with this nice spot, will camp instead... if I get into a little pay streak, or find enough to keep me interested, I would probably stay a second day. As of today, I was thinking of heading out of here Sunday morning hoping for a better chance at open camp sites, with people leaving from the weekend, I am guessing it probably fills up for the weekends??

Edited by OldSkool Fool

This time of the year, I think it may very well get full on the weekends.

• 2 weeks later...

Well spent a couple days at Bear River early this week, I really like using a sluice instead of pick pan and shovel at Lynx, especially in a area with some gold. i did not find much weight wise, but alot of color in the pan... where ever i dug. I attached a couple pics, one oof each days total...could really be nice getting into a little pay streak. My home made sluice appeared to work pretty good considering the fine gold it retainned. Thanks for the suggeston, Great place to go camp and prospect or just go play int he rive and watch deer in the evening. From what everybody says, to make some good weight here all it takes is scuba gear.

post-17960-0-76349600-1376469443_thumb.j

post-17960-0-99448200-1376469495_thumb.j

Glad to hear ya had a golden time there

• 1 month later...

We just spent a week at the Bear river campground. 10.00 a night and no night patrols does seem to attract some concerning characters. Also met some really interesting and helpful people, miners. Got just enough gold to keep you interested and digging.

Tried some other areas but always ended up at Bear River.

Beautiful everything, great time, and cant wait to go back.

Ed