Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mn90403

Franconia December 13th for Comet, Meteor Shower and Meteorites

Slim,

There is only one 'hill' to the south for you to go up to get to the camping area and you don't really need great ground clearance but I have seen some bigger rigs parked down near the freeway.

Maybe pull off, get your little truck and go up to the camp and see if you want to take the big rig up there.

Mitchel

Thanks Mitchel. Not sure if I'll make it this weekend or not but the weather sure looks good for beeping and stargazing.

The Geminids are coming the Geminids are coming! Read all about it!

http://earthsky.org/space/everything-you-need-to-know-geminid-meteor-shower

If you can find a way to sleep and look out a window it can be a great way to get your meteor shower fix. I have done this with my Trooper this summer and fall and it is well worth it when waking up and looking up!

Point your windows toward the northeast and have your pillow so you can look out in that direction if you don't want to sit outside and watch.

Mitchel

Mitchel,

Thanks for the detailed reply, I appreciate it. Still not sure if I can make it, but looking forward to meeting you if I do.

Dan

Saturday Metal Detector Test

On Saturday afternoon I have decided to 'hang around' the camping area and set up a metal detector test. From about 2 PM until dark I am going to have some marked 'stations' with hidden targets that everyone can test their coils and detectors. I hope to set it up in a way that lets you hear meteorites better as well as make sure you are not missing other goodies!

We can discuss settings and learn what others do to be so good with their machines. Bring all of your detectors/coil combinations and we'll have a workout when you get back from a morning hunt.

Mitchel

good luck boys and girls and have fun!

Mitchel I have ordered your cable, when I get it I will mail it to you...thanks

fred

Jim is at camp and we expect to go for a first hunt tomorrow morning. 8 AM is about the time we are getting together and let it warm up a little.

Mitchel

Congratulations Dolan Dave on getting an All Sky camera and finding a meteorite today on Friday the 13th!

If you get a chance, go out and see the meteor shower. Some of them are quite nice.

Full day tomorrow with several new people at camp.

Weather is fantastic.

Mitchel

Mitchel,

Good to see you again. Thanks. Man that 22 ounce nugget sure is nice... thanks for showing.

Dave.

Congrats, Dave!

Anyone else make finds? Any pictures?

Mike,

We had a small but hardy turnout for the meteor watching and hunting. We saw some really nice meteors in the early mornings and during the two campfires.

I think Twink had the big find. It was about 34g with a lot of crust and very pretty. I'll let her post a picture. I have a few of some of the other hunts and my larger iron find.

Jim showed us a different way to get to iron alley and Willie found 5 over two days.

We had cold weather on Friday and Saturday but Sunday was good. If we were out there now the weather is great.

Thanks everyone who showed up. I think we should pick out another meteor shower for next year and perhaps a 'darker' location like Gold Basin or some place new because there is the freeway, houses and trains at Franconia.

Who knows a really dark sky where we can hunt too? Maybe a dry lake bed?

Mitchel

post-26254-0-54207200-1387231259_thumb.j

post-26254-0-32183500-1387231273_thumb.j

post-26254-0-65862700-1387231289_thumb.j

post-26254-0-33921500-1387231305_thumb.j

post-26254-0-24893100-1387231318_thumb.j

post-26254-0-43924700-1387231331_thumb.j

post-26254-0-48430500-1387231346_thumb.j

post-26254-0-21572500-1387231362_thumb.j

post-26254-0-11078700-1387231378_thumb.j

post-26254-0-74629900-1387231391_thumb.j

Cool, thanks!

We came home yesterday because of the weather report. Had a great time and had great company.

Had the pleasure of meeting Twink, Don, Willie,Jim & Wendy and see Mitchel with his goose egg, wow.

Sorry to have missed Dolan Dave.

Twink was very helpful and proved that there are still good finds to be made.

Jim & Wendy were also very helpful and knowledgable about Franconia.

We got skunked so we will be going back again so, Mitchel, Franconia would be good for us for a future outing.

Thank you to all for a wonderful outing.

Ed and Claudia

Ed,

Thank you and Claudia for showing up. Franconia has become a 'difficult' place to find meteorites it seems because I have been skunked a few times myself.

But I have also been with people who have their detectors set up in a way that let them find multiple finds also!

We did see some meteors and they were good.

Mitchel

I did forget to mention the meteor sightings. I saw more on friday night than I have ever seen.

Mitchel, thank you for your help also. When experiance is shared it is very helpful to us newbies.

Ed

Claudia and Ed, it was very nice to meet you both at the outing. I hope to meet both of you again at future hunts.

Twink

While Dad and I were out in Iron alley near the tree line hunting Saturday afternoon, Dad made a pretty cool find. He found a GPS unit half burried in the dirt. He was swinging his Lobo ST and got a signal, went to check it out and lo and behold there it was. Turned right on and works fine, but looked like it had gone through a rain or two so a fairly recent loss for someone. If anyone lost a GPS in the Franconia area just describe it and you can have it back. Other than that we both skunked but it was ony a short day trip. Great to see Jim, Wendy, Mitchel, Willie, Twink and Don again! Thanks Jim for the 9 volts you were a detector saver!

Robby...you and others have mentioned Iron Alley in Franconia. I've been to Franconia several times, but this is the first I've heard of Iron alley. I'm going back soon and would really appreciate some specific directions to that particular area.

Thanks, Karl

Karl,

The areas where you have been parking north of the tracks are the beginning of Iron Alley. That is the western most edge for finding those little iron meteorites. As you go more to the east you leave Iron Alley and end up with some of the larger meteorites.

Did you see the maps I posted?

Mitchel

Hi Mitchel,

The only places I have parked north of the tracks are 3+ miles up the west side road that goes north to the top of the strewn field. So I don't know just where you mean. I've seen the maps posted by Jim Woodell, but I don't believe I've seen yours.

Happy New Year,

Karl

Aloha,

I think someone needs to send Karl a general gps coord to both iron alley and the area he is interested in hunting. I for one could probably find that area with "one eye" haha. But then again I have spent a LOT of time waaaaaaaay north of the area known as iron alley and have actually walked all the way to the roothills of the mountain range with the pyramid shaped top. Of course this was all done several years ago just before I hooked up with Del and we both were a couple of mountain goats that really tromped around a LOT.

Once an area is found even with fragments, you need to mark the area and keep on coming back to it and expanding that area. You would be surprised how much material is still out there that people have actually just walked over without having their detectors on. I ALWAYS used to turn my detector on from the moment I left my jeep till I returned. Remember: LOW and SLOW will do the trick every time.

Aloha and stay safe out there,

Stan aka Kaimi

Stan...thanks. I also have spent many days hunting far north, probably 6-7 miles up from the tracks. Found several up there. Iron alley is an area that is new to me.

Karl

Karl,

I posted the maps in this thread. One map says 'Irons' and I am telling you that is where you have been hunting. That road you drive up to go north is the border of Iron Alley. Everything east of that road you can find those little irons.

Look at my Map. It is post #54. There are 3 maps and when you look at the third one you will see Irons written on it.

Mitchel

Mitchel...now if I only knew how to find post #54.

Karl, each page has 20 posts, so go to page 3 of this thread and look about halfway through the page.

KARL,....KARL,......Do you remember driving up to an area on the north side of Franconia west of the Franconia dirt rd. entrance then driving slightly north and seeing an area where you can park (and probably have in the past) And there is a sign there (if its still standing) that says Wilderness area no motor vehicles (past that point)

Well if you got out of yer car and walked E. N.E. you would be walking right thru part of IRON ALLEY.
Hapy Huntn.