Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mn90403

Franconia December 13th for Comet, Meteor Shower and Meteorites

FYI,

For anyone who did not know, Franconia was known for many years before the discovery of meteorites to be the site of a very tragic train crash.

http://www.apcrp.org/BLOCK_KATHY/FRANCONIA/Franconia_Writeup.htm

A terrible train wreck was at precisely 5:12AM on November 20, 1901, about two miles west of Franconia. Santa Fe Flyers, No. 3 westbound and No.4 eastbound collided head-on on a sharp curve west of Franconia, described in news accounts as “a small flag station 35 miles SW of Kingman.” There was only a single railroad track at this time. They could not have seen each other until they were within a few hundred feet of each other. The collision immediately killed every fireman on the two trains and many other people and destroyed three engines, the dining cars (one on each train), one Pullman, and two composite cars. The eastbound train was pulled by two oil burning locomotives and the second engine exploded, throwing the burning oil into the wreck and setting the cars on fire! Details of the accident did not fully emerge until 1906, when the lawsuit “Santa Fe Pacific R. Co. V Holmes, 202 U.S. 438 (1906) was argued before the U.S. Supreme Court on April 18, 19, 1906. Both the full text of the case and the case preview are available on the Internet on Open. Jurist Blog. Briefly, the defendant, one of the engineers who was severely injured, sued for, and won $9,000 on the grounds that the collision was caused by the negligence “of a fellow servant”, of “the master,” - the RR company.

Where's it posted? I've never seen a sign. :(

The RR r/w is the only way to access that private property, so there must be some provisions for its use.

The provision is for you to apply for a railroad permit that you send in with about $900 and wait for their approval

which could be denied. That is it and that is a fact. We went through this conversation about 2 years ago.

As far as the property, the no trespassing sign is posted at the main entrance to the roads. it's there if you look. However, it does not have to be there...it's private property.

Jim

Yo, All ... Just a reminder....If you'd like to have a big (24" x 48") topo covering the full extent of the Franconia strewnfield with an outline of the main area, check it on my site: ... Cheers, Unc

I don't know exactly how I got these copies and there are other data maps out there but these are somewhat early maps made before Aps and Google Earth was so available.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/101421522673623412677/albums/5953701490682764097

Mitchel

post-26254-0-41937600-1386204880_thumb.j

post-26254-0-30772400-1386204903_thumb.j

post-26254-0-97490800-1386204919_thumb.j

THE ONE ON THE RIGHT I GAVE YOU THATS MY WRITING.
ITS A COPY OF ONE OF JIM SMALLER's

Frank,

You are right. Now I remember. Thank you very much. I knew someone would be able to identify the details.

I didn't know Jim and I don't know how much had been added since then because I don't know the date.

Mitchel

Well bugger. I had a BNSF r/w permit for my vehicle a few years ago, it was for a job I was working on. It was really easy to get, just filled out something on the internet and paid $10 and it was good for a year. I guess the process is more intense if you're not working in the RR r/w.

Chris

There are multiple places along side the graded dirt roads/trails where folks can pull off and camp. I don't really know where these folks are planning on gathering (if indeed there is a plan), but when I was there a couple years ago with a big group (including Jim & Windy), most of them camped/gathered/staged right off Franconia Rd, about 1.5 miles south of the freeway. Dusty rough road, but you can easily make it there with a two wheel vehicle.

• Lat 34.718818 degrees, Lon 114.241298 degrees

After that it depends on where you want to go (South side, North side), how close you want to get to where you want to search before you start walking and how rough you're willing to go with a 2X car... Obviously with a 4X4, you can go through the sandy washes and get to just about any place on the South side and to the typical North side starting point, otherwise it's buddy up and share a ride to the starting point, or start walking/searching from camp (which I wouldn't recommend).

But what do I know...

Dan

Michael / Jim,

What about taking the next off ramp east of Franconia, doubling back west on the north side of the RR tracks, skirting the western edge of the subdivision roads(s), parking whatever vehicle used to get there (without entering the restricted area) and walking/searching from there?

Is that doable??

Dan

That BNSF cop is a real bonafied AZPOST certified LEO in the State of AZ. He has all the authority of any LEO in the state. Just FYI.

Jim

I will share what I know about all this a little on Friday around the camp fire.

Please...everyone, bring some firewood for your share of the fire! A bundle or two or three each and we'll have a nice fire!

Note that I am bringing an Allsky cam to handoff to DolanDave and you will get to check that out

if you like.

Let's hope for good weather!

Jim

Jim,

FYI - I'm not trying to skirt around the police or the law, just around RR & private property in an attempt to get to the north/east side of the strewn field. Even if it means driving the truck a little further east and then back tracking west with the quad to the edge of the restricted wilderness.

Just trying to avoid walking "miles" prior to getting to my desired starting point...

Dan

The 'main' camping from my understanding and where the hunters in the past camped is about 1.5 to 2 miles south of the 40 at Franconia Road and National Old Trails Road. (Look on Google Earth) This is the gathering spot where we plan to have a fire and we all can show and tell and learn from the most knowledgeable.

I would like you old time hunters to be ready with a 'bio' and a few stories from the past about discovery of the field, early hunters and what has been learned.

As Jim said we need to bring in wood.

A weather report for next week seems to be good for now. Highs in the 60s and lows in the 40's.

Mitchel

Long term Weather Report is looking good for next week!

Here is a picture of the camp area.

Oops...here it is.

post-24044-0-97219000-1386516249_thumb.p

I have just busted up some old furniture that we can burn in the fire pit. It does have a few pieces of metal but we are not going to spread the ashes across the desert. I think there are some restrictions on such things?

Mitchel

Mitchel, it's good practice not to burn anything with metal in it.

Mike,

I agree. I'll beat the nails out of it but we can also take a magnet to the fire pit.

Mitchel

Weather still looking good for Friday, Saturday, Sunday!

Count down begins!

As many of you know, Franconia is a well known area to hunt for meteorites and where you hunt does make a difference. Daylight hours are short. Who you hunt with or the directions you get can make a difference too. So, how do you make that decision?

We'll have a campfire (bring your own chairs and wood) and have some snacks and drinks (bring your own) about sunset (anytime after 4 PM) on Friday and Saturday night. This will be a time when we can see past finds, finds of the day and organize for the next day.

The area around the campfire is in very good shape and has very little trash. Please make sure to take all of your trash with you each time. About the only thing we could leave at the end of the weekend would be any extra firewood.

Mitchel

Well I'm going to have to miss this trip unfortunately. My in-laws are moving up north and this is the last weekend they're around so we're visiting with them. Good luck to everyone that's going, I can't wait to see picts of all the finds!

Mike

Any thoughts about a Saturday morning meeting for those that can't camp out? Either staying in a Needles motel Friday night or driving in Saturday AM?

I drove by there on the highway only once. That's it. Where could a guy park a 35' motor home with low ground clearance around there? It needs to be level.

Slim,

There is only one 'hill' to the south for you to go up to get to the camping area and you don't really need great ground clearance but I have seen some bigger rigs parked down near the freeway.

Maybe pull off, get your little truck and go up to the camp and see if you want to take the big rig up there.

Mitchel

Dan,

I think if you are there at the evening meetings you can arrange a time to leave on Saturday or Sunday hunts. I know there is no real need to 'break camp' and leave at the crack of dawn to go hunting but some will even if a little cold.

Sunrise 7:30 AM and Sunset 5:30 PM The Time in Arizona is 1 hour before Pacific Time so adjust your clock.

Some people will be hunting the south side of the tracks and freeway and will be going back and forth to camp.

If you hunt the north side of the tracks in the wilderness area the hike in is something you only want to do once a day (take your water and food with you). If you leave camp at 9 AM and you get to the parking area near the tracks about 9:30 you should plan for a hike of about 1 hour (a little less in some places) before you are in the most productive areas of the field. If you stay out hunting for 3-4 hours and hunt on your return then you are going to make it back to the parking areas about 3 PM. This makes for a long day but you can make it longer by leaving closer to sunrise.

Some people will have radios and you can stay in touch with them that way. I don't have these yet.

Mitchel