Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mn90403

Franconia December 13th for Comet, Meteor Shower and Meteorites

Yo, All ... If you'd like to have a big topo covering the full extent of the Franconia strewnfield, check it on my site: www.az-gold.com ... Cheers, Unc

For those of you going to Franconia or wanting to read about it Twink has shared an article with us from the early days of the field. Take a look at it here:

http://aerolite.org/science/lingua-franconia.htm

Mitchel

Yo, All ... If you'd like to have a big topo covering the full extent of the Franconia strewnfield, check it on my site: www.az-gold.com ... Cheers, Unc

thx Ron

IT"S ALIVE they are calling it the zombie comet,if it stays together there's hope for a great Dec. show yet!

I was looking for it this morning but could not see anything. Next week will be the real test for the naked eye.

Mitchel

New to the forum but I will be in Kingman those days. A nice Franconia hunt will be in order. Looking forward to meeting new folks.

Hey guys and gals...is the common FRS frequency for Franconia still CH 11 - 0 ?

Thanks!

Daryl

Looks like Dad and I will be doing atleast a day trip on saturday the 14th. Cant wait to get back out there! Last weekend I ended up scoring a nice little 11.7g there.

Robby

I'm 95% going to be there, I plan on arriving Friday night in time to go to sleep and wake up to hunt all Sat. Should be fun!

Jim,

Dan M here; I hunted together with you and Windy at Franconia a couple years ago, then again out at Holbrook, where I found a small (as in really small) meteorite, that Windy verified for me.

Question - Why are you taking your quad to the Franconia hunt? Going a little further out/north in the field before you start walking? I have a utility quad now and if I'm able to make it (not quite sure yet), would you mind if I tagged along behind you?

Yeppers!

When I pull my trailer, I do so with a 1 ton crew cab dually which is not 4x4. So I get around on the quad. I do not know where I might be hunting but many of the parking spots are 4x4 access only. The tunnel, for example is accessed by driving up the main wash.

Sheeze, if someone mentions hunting for gold, I might decide to do that!

I am thinking I might show up on the 12th now. Getting itchy feet.

Jim

Got it, a looser/more open kind of meet up than previous CSR group hunts. And although my truck is a 4X4, I don't take it very far off maintained roads either; that's what the quad is for.

Jim,

I was just over there yesterday and the day before but had to leave because of radiator problems. I made it back here after several stops on the way back. Maybe I should have gotten it repaired in Barstow?

The wash to the tunnel is in pretty good shape and the parking area for the non-4WDs. The only place I needed 4x4 was the last 300 yards to the tunnel getting up out of the wash to the parking area.

I've never driven over the tracks and gone up that way. I'd like to do it next week if the Trooper survives. Carl said that road is really rutted.

Mitchel

FYI,

Yesterday as I was in the Lake Havasu area I checked on renting a trailer and here is what I found out:

26 ft Queen Bed size trailer with additional dining sleeping area will cost $100 per night. Rental company says it sleeps 4 or 6 if you have little kids. I think two prospecting adults.

Setup and return charge in Franconia $125

Generator Charge $100

Cleaning Fee $50

So if you stayed the nights of the 12th, 13th and 14th you are looking at $600. This would keep someone out to see the meteor shower (I hope it is worth it) but it also keeps you close to the hunting area. (I'd consider splitting this with someone if of interest.)

Lake Havasu has Motel 6's and Knights Inn ($50). I alternate between the Trooper and Knights Inn which has nice rooms, good cable and internet is included.

Mitchel

Hello Everyone,

Can someone please give me the exact GPS coordinates for the 2-wheel drive parking area so I can look at it on GE? Also, if I limit myself to two-wheel drive, is that going to basically ruin any chance we have of finding anything? I have a 4x4 truck, but at 12 mpg it would cost a small fortune to go there and back in fuel alone. For this reason we are wanting to take our Ford Escape. Will we be okay with that vehicle? We are planning to go but if using a two-wheel drive vehicle is going to seriously hinder our hunt efforts then we will have to cancel the trip. Thank you.

I've parked north in the subdivision 2 times. Those roads are rough! That's probably where I'm going to park on Saturday.

Micheal, Private Property and posted no trespassing.

Also, if driving East on the RailRoad right-of-way will get you a ticket if the Railroad Leo is out there. It is also posted No Trespassing.

Where's it posted? I've never seen a sign. :(

The RR r/w is the only way to access that private property, so there must be some provisions for its use.

Mike...I've taken that road that parallels the tracks going east, but it just takes you to the tunnel and farther to the subdivided area. I never looked for a way to go north from that road. I always go west over the tracks about a half mile then turn north. Up about 1-2 miles there are a couple of dirt roads that go east up over a ridge and take you to the main wash. I just keep going on the north road for 4-5 miles and park. I've camped up there several times and that's where I found my few Franconias. Troy Ball showed me that area and that day I found my first one. He's found them 6 miles up, hundreds. Karl

By the way, the road north I mentioned is really rough for the first 1-2 miles, better after that. I'll be there the 13th and 14th.

Jim is right. One day I was out there several months back and there was a private security guy there protecting the RR equipment, ties and spikes. He was just at the end of Franconia Road and he explained to us what he 'could' do as he was given authority by the State of Arizona/county to give tickets to protect their property.

He said we could get a fine if driving on the RR right of way which is essentially anywhere inside of the fence line on either side of the tracks. The road on the north side is all inside of the fence and I have never driven it. The road on the south side that is close to the tracks is technically on RR property also but the wash road is not.

He said that we could be fined for crossing over the tracks and he watched for cycles going along there to another camp to the west. I think the road that people take going north close to the crossing is ok to drive because it is not RR property and it is not in the Wilderness also. He said if he was working he would not give a fine to someone crossing under the tracks at the 3 areas I know of which has been the only way I have hunted the north.

The two wheel drive area ends at 'the wall' where you can park and avoid the sand and the wash road. The only way to get to the north from there is Over the tracks. They will give you a ticket for that if they catch you. I have not been caught so far. The tickets are several hundred dollars.

All of that being said, I don't know anyone who has gotten a ticket. They tell everyone the same thing so that they can catch some of the vandals who make their way out there who steal and destroy RR property.

Just be careful and you are on your own. These are things that I have been told directly by a RR security officer and I am passing it along. I don't know the need for signs for them to enforce their tickets. We found a friendly guy but they may not be so friendly.

Mitchel

Jim,

Could you please repost your map for Google Earth?

I have some paper maps that I am going to scan and put up for others to see.

Mitchel